Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trans Question...Seems simple...but I can't find the answer...

Here's the simple question...I truly looked...but can't find the answer to this.

How do you check the fluid???

Dipstick...I know.

But in a car, there's usually a sequence to go through. Like...warm up the transmission and engine...stop, shift from park to 1 - 2 - 3 - D - R, back to Neutral and with engine hot, running and in neutral - check the transmission fluid.

Is there something like that on these transmissions?

When the engine is running, I check the dipstick and it appears low.

With the engine off but hot, I check and the reading is right on.

Fluid is fantastically red - no burnt smell - no problems to speak of.

Just don't know how to check if the level is correct.

All replies appreciated.

-Jeff

Here's the simple question...I truly looked...but can't find the answer to this.

How do you check the fluid???

Dipstick...I know.

But in a car, there's usually a sequence to go through. Like...warm up the transmission and engine...stop, shift from park to 1 - 2 - 3 - D - R, back to Neutral and with engine hot, running and in neutral - check the transmission fluid.

Is there something like that on these transmissions?

When the engine is running, I check the dipstick and it appears low.

With the engine off but hot, I check and the reading is right on.

Fluid is fantastically red - no burnt smell - no problems to speak of.

Just don't know how to check if the level is correct.

All replies appreciated.

-Jeff

Jeff, the fluid should be warm when you check it. I see guys overfilling these all of the time and then the fluid just comes out of the vent. You can add a little if you like just to be safe. Just add to the bottom of the cross hatches on the stick when cold, then when it gets warm it should read closer to the top of of the cross hatches. I own and run a transmission shop here in Cincinnati, Ohio. If you have a v drive, check that fluid frequently as well. Also be sure to check for water intrusion into both units.... This happens alot when guys run with a ton of ballast and frequently get the boat really wet. Just my 2c.

Joe

Jeff, the fluid should be warm when you check it.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. Engine off or on is the only question I still have. It's top of the hatch marks hot with engine off. Bottom of the hatch marks hot with engine on. Thank you very much for responding. Great to hear from a pro. Thumbup.gif