Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 sunsetter won't start - electrical issue?

I've searched the forums on this issue with no luck, so apologize if this has already been covered

I've had issue with boat starting reliably for past 4 years

It starts cold with no issues. I drive boat for 15 minutes to get engine hot and 99% of time, boat will not start again once turned off. I have to wait for unspecified period of time until it starts again.

I turn switch and gauges dial up, but engine will not turnover after confirming that boat is in neutral.

Only way I'm able to manually get engine to start is by acting as a "switch" using a wrench between the starter and the cylinoid switch

I've replaced key switch 2x, have brand new battery (2 months old), replaced starter, cylinoid, brand new spark plugs and distributor cap.

It appears that this has to be electrical issue as I've baffled many mechanics and replaced everything that they've recommended.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch. I had a similiar problem on my last boat (2000 Sunsetter VLX) and this was the problem. It is located under the computer on the engine.

Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch. I had a similiar problem on my last boat (2000 Sunsetter VLX) and this was the problem. It is located under the computer on the engine.

Thanks, I'll check this

You may have a bad starter solenoid since it is only happening when the boat is warm. Engine temperature is unlikely to have an effect on the nuetral saftey switch IMO.

It would be very easy to eliminate with a volt meter of test light.

Simply get the boat warm or reproduce the symptoms. Then hold the test light to the remote wire on your starter solenoid. Have a 2nd person turn the key. If the wire lights up then it's a problem at the starter. If it doesn't then it's a problem earlier in the system (like NS switch).

Edited by the_dude