Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POWER TURNS

Stanley Wheelhouse

for what it is worth i say an idiot over the weekend pulling a tuber behind his new bu. (isnt that a wakesurf wakeboard boat not a tube boat) any way the tuber fell out and the guy driving saw the tuber fall and gave the boat maximum power and the sharpest turn possible. he almost threw someone out of the boat and the best part is he created a huge amount of chop around his tuber and had a lot of velocity coming to pick up his rider. the bow of the boat lifts up on a wave and comes down on top of the tuber. thank god all involved were ok. it got me thinking.....

Step one

if your rider falls slowly reduce your power setting to idle (keeps everyone from being launched into the front of the boat.

Step two

let your wake and waves pass you

Step three

put your boat in idle and keep it there

Step four

execute a 270/360 degree turn while in idle

Step four

in a controlled and confident manor retrieve your rider/tuber

Power turning to pick up your rider is extremely dangerous. you are rapidly approaching a rider in rough water in a boat that can be difficult to control and slow down in those conditions all while picking up little johnny or jenny.

dont get me wrong, if i see an idiot heading right for my rider i will put the boat between the them and my rider, RAPIDLY if i feel the safety of the rider is in jeopardy.

it just seems people execute power turns when it is not necessary causing undue danger to the rider the are trying to protect.

for what it is worth i say an idiot over the weekend pulling a tuber behind his new bu. (isnt that a wakesurf wakeboard boat not a tube boat) any way the tuber fell out and the guy driving saw the tuber fall and gave the boat maximum power and the sharpest turn possible. he almost threw someone out of the boat and the best part is he created a huge amount of chop around his tuber and had a lot of velocity coming to pick up his rider. the bow of the boat lifts up on a wave and comes down on top of the tuber. thank god all involved were ok. it got me thinking.....

Step one

if your rider falls slowly reduce your power setting to idle (keeps everyone from being launched into the front of the boat.

Step two

let your wake and waves pass you

Step three

put your boat in idle and keep it there

Step four

Step four

Power turning to pick up your rider is extremely dangerous. you are rapidly approaching a rider in rough water in a boat that can be difficult to control and slow down in those conditions all while picking up little johnny or jenny.

dont get me wrong, if i see an idiot heading right for my rider i will put the boat between the them and my rider, RAPIDLY if i feel the safety of the rider is in jeopardy.

it just seems people execute power turns when it is not necessary causing undue danger to the rider the are trying to protect.

AMEN! I see way too much idiocy on our waterway with folks that don't follow simple basics. My biggest pet peave is "tail gaters" when I'm pulling riders. I always yield for them to pass as much as possible but when they don't get the hint to stop following I am sure to give them an earful and let them know why so they don't do it again.

Glad we're all here in one piece to comment after a very busy boating weekend! Thumbup.gif

Regards,

Mike

not to mention, they throw all sorts of chop in random directions... keep the waves going in the same direction. That's the rule in our boat. No power turns, unless rider is in jeopardy

not to mention, they throw all sorts of chop in random directions... keep the waves going in the same direction. That's the rule in our boat. No power turns, unless rider is in jeopardy

Plus1.gif

I couldn't agree more.

Theres nothing wrong with a good power turn ONCE in a while, keeps them on their toes Whistling.gif

Edited by Boat Rocks

I amend my above comment... power turns are also acceptable at 30 mph+ to show off gorilla fins! And the water cannot be glass.

Edited by CrazyTegger

I'll power turn when I know there are idiots like that around my riders, that usually doesn't slow them down but they get a feel for what it's like hitting a roller :)

I went out last weekend with an old friend that used to have a jet boat back in the day... (power turns used to be the norm...) Last weekend his pulls in my boat were textbook....except he power turned.

Pat

I malibu owner pulling me at slow speeds(I was practicing backside 180's) and he would powerturn to pick me up. Mad.gif

I couldn't figure out how to tell him to stop powerturning the dam* boat.

I malibu owner pulling me at slow speeds(I was practicing backside 180's) and he would powerturn to pick me up. Mad.gif

Try this method...........stop powerturning the dam* boat. Thumbup.gif

I amend my above comment... power turns are also acceptable at 30 mph+ to show off gorilla fins! And the water cannot be glass.

Thumbup.gifPlus1.gif They are also necessary too build excitement and thrill for the not so easily impressed new boat owners who have never ever enjoyed anything but a raft on the river, but by all means never on a pick up. Also a Plus1.gif for the one who said they've put their boat between a downed rider and an idiot boater headed their way....Also hate tailgaters.

As a wakeboarder, this is my biggest pet peave and problem on crowded lakes. Nothing will ruin your day more than one idiot power turning. We've once had 4 boats running a one and a half mile line and were all safe and had decent water because no one was riding outside the line or power turning.

I once tried to explain this to a new Malibu owner on our lake and they thought they were being safe by power turning...unreal, like talking to a wall. And it was not a "rider in jeopardy" situation. It was every fall and every turn and absolutely killed the other boats trying to share the water.

As a wakeboarder, this is my biggest pet peave and problem on crowded lakes. Nothing will ruin your day more than one idiot power turning. We've once had 4 boats running a one and a half mile line and were all safe and had decent water because no one was riding outside the line or power turning.

I once tried to explain this to a new Malibu owner on our lake and they thought they were being safe by power turning...unreal, like talking to a wall. And it was not a "rider in jeopardy" situation. It was every fall and every turn and absolutely killed the other boats trying to share the water.

How do you get people to cooperate in a crowded use area? This weekend it was chaotic we would try and stay on one side and invariably some jerk would head straight for us or stop their boat right in the middle of where we were headed, and worse they'd tow a skier or tuber right towards us. We finally just stopped trying and headed further up river, unfortunately the same moron or someone like him was there too pulling a fricken tube stirring it up real bad doing zigging and zagging. We used to do the same thing we'd have 4 or 5 boaters on the same stretch of water. We never did power turns and we never had issues.

I wish it were that easy.

I have already told him not to rush to pick me up and have pointed out the other baffoons powerturning

I wish it were that easy.

I have already told him not to rush to pick me up and have pointed out the other baffoons powerturning

No powerturns or no driving... that's our rule Thumbup.gif

It took me almost a season to get it through my CFO head to not do power turns to pick me back up. BUT however, I am telling her from the water about 10 feet away and over the stereo. She yells back stop yelling at me! Dontknow.gif cant win. It finally took a few roller over the bow for her to realize it was not a good idea. Plus figuring that her rollers were all but drowning the rider on her way back. But like probably some old school teaching, she always was taught to get the rider as soon as possible.

The easiest way to get a driver to stop power truing is let them know it makes it hard for you as a rider. Your down and trying to rest and they are throwing huge rollers at you as they come around. Just ask them to go slow as a favor.

Powerturning is in now way safer- It takes longer to get back to the rider(except maybe in a ski boat) and the rollers make both maneuvering and visibility poor. Both for the rider and the driver. Sadly, most poer turners drive stern-drives which handle so badly it really defeats the purpose. I know, I used to own one..................

How do you get people to cooperate in a crowded use area? This weekend it was chaotic we would try and stay on one side and invariably some jerk would head straight for us or stop their boat right in the middle of where we were headed, and worse they'd tow a skier or tuber right towards us. We finally just stopped trying and headed further up river, unfortunately the same moron or someone like him was there too pulling a fricken tube stirring it up real bad doing zigging and zagging. We used to do the same thing we'd have 4 or 5 boaters on the same stretch of water. We never did power turns and we never had issues.

Sometimes you are powerless, but most people generally do not know better. e usually put over to them and infrom them that it is better for every boater if they don't powerturn and ask them to stop. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it is somebody who is just learning to wakeboard and we explain that they will progress faster and take less falls if the water is calm. With tubers however, you are powerless.

can you saw bull horn shouting words saying please do not tube in the smooth water and stop power turning u !@#$%^&**. tried this one and the results were negative.

...Step four

:unsure: I'm thinking a 180 would be better. Yes.gif:lol:

Step four

:unsure: Wait a minute...I thought the turn-around was step four...:unsure:... :Doh:

Now I'll never get my rider picked up... ROFL.gif

Couple of years ago someone on wakeworld registered nopowerturns.com and was planning on producing stickers etc that could be left on trucks (no stuck on) at marinas. A little grass roots educational campaign. Sounded like a good idea but I don't think it went anywhere.