Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What type of anchor do you use?

I'm looking for an anchor for my 2007 Wakesetter VLX. The lakes here are fairly deep and rocky. Is there a type of anchor that will work best for me?

I'm looking for an anchor for my 2007 Wakesetter VLX. The lakes here are fairly deep and rocky. Is there a type of anchor that will work best for me?

Look at collapsible box anchors. Very reliably bite no matter what bottom you're anchoring to.

More information here.

i have used a Danforth anchor for several years on 19 - 22 foor boats.

You can get them that are vinyl coated to avoid scratching the boat.

Get an anchor and a section of anchor chain (also coated), and plenty of rope.

The chain keeps the anchor laying flatter on the bottom.

As a general rule, you should have about 5 - 7x rope extended than the depth of the water.

So, if the water is 20 feet deep, about 100 - 140 feet of anchor rope. More for rougher water, less in a quiet cove.

Another trick is to tie small pieces of brightly colored twine about every 50 feet so you have an idea of how much rope you have let out.

I bought the heaviest coated river anchor available at Bass Pro shops. It was like $25. It will break lose in real heavy chop if anchored real deep. But for the money (compared to a box anchor) I'm happy with it. Make sure you get at least 3-5 ft of chain so it will lay down, that's the key. I let out enough rope so that I'm at a 30 degree or so angle to the bottom.

martinarcher

I've got a slide anchor and that bad boy has never let go. It also has been fairly easy to get off the bottom. I would highly recommend one - the bottoms of our lakes are fairly muddy and covered with rock/logs/stumps and even old foundations (it was a flooded town) and lots of others we boat with always drift when we anchor up for dinner and we never move. Thumbup.gif

I use a box anchor. collapses very easily and holds great. Plus you don't need any lead chain with a box anchor. Just the box and rope.

Good Luck

You may want to add some length of chain.

Reason: Your rope will chafe on the anchor.

Chain is important for other reasons. It helps the anchor lay correctly on the bottom. A couple lengths of chain will allow you to use a much smaller anchor than you would otherwise need. 4 or 5 to 1 on the ratio of rope needed per foot of depth, 7 or 8 to 1 in windy conditions.

Don't know about that box anchor being best. Wouldn't hold my 247 LSV worth squat. Got one of these to replace it...and it holds fast (even in sand). If it didn't have that "pop out" feature, you'd have to dig this sucker out! Would work well in rocks too (should hold fast until released). Even though I'm in fresh, I got the larger salt water version (15lb = 40ft boat). It's easy to pack away too (smaller than my box anchor actually...and holds twice a strong) ......

http://www.diggeranchor.com/products.html

Don't know about that box anchor being best. Wouldn't hold my 247 LSV worth squat. Got one of these to replace it...and it holds fast (even in sand). If it didn't have that "pop out" feature, you'd have to dig this sucker out! Would work well in rocks too (should hold fast until released). Even though I'm in fresh, I got the larger salt water version (15lb = 40ft boat). It's easy to pack away too (smaller than my box anchor actually...and holds twice a strong) ......

If you want to get rid of that box anchor, we might be able to work something out. Biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Todd

I would have to give it to the Box Anchor. I have a 2008 Wakesetter LSV 23 that was tied up with about 10 other boats in a cove that was smooth but the wind was blowing pretty hard. We were in about 25-30 foot of water (old rock quary) and my anchor was the only one that held. As a matter of fact it held all 10 boats as the spun in a circle around me. I knew about half of the owners of the boats and within 2 weeks all of them had box anchors and love them. One thing is get a heavy rope, shackles to tie it to the anchor and a heavy clamp to tie it to the boat. My buddy broke his rope in halve one weekend in rough water, needless to say we never found his anchor even though it was only in about 5 foot of water. These things dig in deep in sand/mud conditions. Also works great in rocks.

What size box anchor did you get, small or large. If you are using the larger digger then maybe that should be compared to the large box anchor. You are the only person that I have heard make a negative comment on the box.

Anyway, I have the small box for my VLX, holds great on sand/mud bottom in windy conditions, really have not tried in rocky bottoms so can't comment there. But the anchor folds and stows easily, all line goes in storage bag. No chain required. Highly recommended. I think it is around $150, unless you go stainless and the the price is significantly higher.

Just make sure you get the proper size boc for your application.

Box anchor is best but expensive.

Craigslist, New Hampshire, Anchor :

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1255384720.html

You can pick up this setup for $45.

To be extra safe you must add 10 or 20 feet of chain.

One other trick is to pick up a cheap mushroom type anchor on craigslist say 15 or 10 pounds and add it to your anchor setup.

Let's say you add 20 feet of chain to the Danforth. Then shackle a mushroom anchor on that chain about 12 feet away from the Danforth.

This makes the Danforth lay flat because the extra mushroom anchor tends to sit on the bottom and take up any slack in your rode (anchor rope). As you can imagine the 12 feet of chain between the Danforth and the mushroom will lay naturally flat on the bottom. This system will work at least as good as a box anchor.

And gives you the option of using the heavier duty solution only when you need it.

I would comment that any time you are carrying 10 feet of chain that that is a heavy duty setup, certainly heavy. Also, if you have ever deployed an anchor you will understand what I am saying, there is a big difference between dropping a box anchor with only rope attached as opposed to dropping a danforth with 10 feet of chain, not to mention when you pull out the anchor there is some cleanup that needs to happen unless you want mud in your boat, can't imagine cleaning 10 feet of chain (and there is a significantly higher probability that you will rub chain on the gunwale or hull potentially increasing the odds of scratches on your boat).

When using other anchor options it is my opinion that you will only achieve anchoring success with a proper setup of chain and proper line length in relation to depth; the box achor needs no chain and does not require the extra line length in relation to depth and surface conditions (I think the line legth is at a ratio of 2-1 as opposed to other anchors that could approach 5-1).

Bottom line is you pay more money for a solution that works better for a wakeboard style boat.

Up here in Orygun we don't have that red mud and dirty water that exists at Shasta and the Delta.

My boat comes back from Cali dirtier from 3 days than I get from a week in Oregon.

Obligatory smart- a_ _ remark: "My boat is as cherry as your boat" even though I use long anchor chain.

I don't disagree with your analysis of the box anchor except you need at least 3 feet of chain for chafing purposes.

FWIW. I have 3 different style anchors from 37 years of boat ownership. All have chain.

My boat swings on the hook at least 10 times a year. I use a different setup based on where I'm going.

Too complicated, I know.

In any event the cheap Danforth with heavy chain and plenty of rode will work in deep water in New Hampshire. If it's a-blowin he can add a cheap 5 - 15 # mushroom that will absolutely hold.

Question: When does 57 years of actual boating experience end and senility set in ?

Answer: I won't know, even after it happens.....

Edited by DONTW8
Up here in Orygun we don't have that red mud and dirty water that exists at Shasta and the Delta.

My boat comes back from Cali dirtier from 3 days than I get from a week in Oregon.

Obligatory smart- a_ _ remark: "My boat is as cherry as your boat" even though I use long anchor chain.

I don't disagree with your analysis of the box anchor except you need at least 3 feet of chain for chafing purposes.

FWIW. I have 3 different style anchors from 37 years of boat ownership. All have chain.

My boat swings on the hook at least 10 times a year. I use a different setup based on where I'm going.

Too complicated, I know.

In any event the cheap Danforth with heavy chain and plenty of rode will work in deep water in New Hampshire. If it's a-blowin he can add a cheap 5 - 15 # mushroom that will absolutely hold.

Question: When does 57 years of actual boating experience end and senility set in ?

Answer: I won't know, even after it happens.....

If you use an anchor buddy with a secure line there is no need for chain for chafing purposes, the anchor buddy absorbs all motion from boat. And true, many Cali lakes are mud bottom that will require some anchor cleanup, if bottom is sandy, probably not so much, point well taken. And true, my boat is "Cherry" except for the scuff where wife drove into dock Cry.gif

Re: Dock issues.

I managed to drive into a dock on the Willamette River the first time out a few years back. Took a little chunk out of my hull. My boat was upstream and the dock was downstream and the current was swifter than I remembered. A local fibrglass repair shop fixed that baby up so well for cheap that I do not know where the damage was.

After that I got some of the G-5 Polyform fenders that are a 8.5" diameter and resolved any issue with dock rash. Most trailer boaters have the 6.5" or 5.5" diameter. I rigged them up with 15 feet of the soft mooring line and they are convenient to use as a combination fender and mooring line that can be simultaneously installed for quick tie-up.

I use them 15 days a year at our Sundance course dock. Safe and quick.

Edited by DONTW8

I have have great success with the Box anchor. No chain and unbelievable holding power. It has never broken loose. Been in 50+MPH winds on Mead.

Kelly

Just bought a box anchor at lunch today...I'm hoping it works better than the danforth I was using, which was probably too small for the boat anyways.

bob

Edited by xx29l9

Get the Digger. its very light. it will go into mud and rocks and not let the boat move. it will not release untill u are on top of it. when u pull up the ancher claw will drop down and release. and the mud will full off on the way up. theres differnt sizes. ive seen them used on 30 ft boats so any mailbu will be fine.