Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does anyone else disc?

UWSkier

Does anyone else have a disc for plodding around on when you're bored of the other stuff and just want to be on the water? I've been riding one of these things since I was 18 months old. Sometimes I'll take a lawn chair, a small folding ladder, or this past weekend, my little sister out with me. Fun stuff!

BTW, the dismount was planned and wasn't a crash, but it clearly needs some work. :)

post-25-1246837089_thumb.jpg

post-25-1246837101_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else have a disc for plodding around on when you're bored of the other stuff and just want to be on the water? I've been riding one of these things since I was 18 months old. Sometimes I'll take a lawn chair, a small folding ladder, or this past weekend, my little sister out with me. Fun stuff!

BTW, the dismount was planned and wasn't a crash, but it clearly needs some work. :)

I have been using a flat plywood home made disc for many years. I started in the early 70's. I still do it now, but not as often. I used to use a stool with it, but after many head bumps on the stool, I threw it away. Now I just use the disc. Slow speed and not so hurtful falls. No fins, or boots of any kind, makes it somewhat of a challenge. It's good to see there are a few of us left. I graduated to trick skiis after the disc and learned to do a few tricks thanks to the disc. But, I still return to the disc just for rhe kicks.

Funny, my father in law made one back in the late 60s! It is stored at the cabin and I planned to ride it for the first time the week after next. I have seen my father in law (in his 60s) ride the disc while standing on a stool. pretty cool.

35 years ago we used to disc. 36"x3/4" & 24"x1/2" (very skidish!) The one thing we learned after one of the guys took it in the nose, if you don't see the disc after a fall, cover your face. They come up from below with force!

Haven't done that in years, but it was fun back in the day. I remember when I was probably 7 or 8 that I decided to go for the "world record" (lol) of surface 360s in a row. I can't remember how many I made before crashing from dizziness, I think it was 30 or 40-something. :lol: Good times.

Saw numerous pics of Klarich / Murphy & family doing it over the years. Including when he did his 40 / 40 / 400 a few years ago..... 40 tricks on 400 different things on the water for his 40th birthday. Some pretty crazy ones including a step ladder with a little dog on a disc ????

He also flipped a picnic table upside down & managed to ride it.

MalibuNation

I'm impressed with your pics ... how big was that disk.

As a kid we used them in the 60s. I tried one 2 years ago, don't know if it was too small, I'm too big, not limber (sp) like I was as a kid - think it was a little of everything.. As a kid we used to ride a toboggan on the water.

We have a friend with one that we get out on a few times a year. They can be quite fun for a change. It has a different label on each side - Disc o' Fun & Disc o' Death.

• 4 years later...

Digging up an old thread. Klarich posted this classic on FB this morning. Pretty funny stuff!

At the end of the video was a guy riding a cooler. I'm definitely busting that out this summer.

• Like 3

At the end of the video was a guy riding a cooler. I'm definitely busting that out this summer.

Klarich did a "40 at 40" ride a few years ago. He turned 40 yrs old & skied on 40 different items.

He is currently planning his "50 at 50" ride, which I believe is a year or two away.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Discs are great! I used ours last year to get my kids more comfortable behind the boat. I Went double with my 5 year old and 3 year old. When we were kids I always liked to go real slow and use it like a foil under the water and ride it as far as waist deep.

• Like 1