Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Proper balance of boat on lift

MadDogMike

I have a question about the placement of a v-drive on a freestanding vertical boat lift for proper balance. The boat lift is about 10' square, and the '04 VLX is 21' long (not including swim platform). I have two different vendors telling me two different things.

The first says I should have about 3 to 4 feet of the back end of boat beyond the lift cradle. That would leave 7 to 8 feet of the front of the boat beyond the front of the lift cradle.

The other vendor says, since there's so much weight with the engine in the back of the boat, the back of the boat should be flush with the back of the lift cradle. That would leave about 11 feet of the front of the boat extending beyond the front of the lift cradle.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mike

I bought my lift already attached to the slip from a previous Sea Ray owner. I pull my 247LSV as far forward on the lift as I can (i'm limited by the position of the lift in the slip). This leaves about 4-5 ft. overhanging the back of the lift. I think it would balance better if I could pull it as far forward as the drive train would allow.

I pulled my v drive so only 1&1/2 or 2 feet was sticking out the back. My prop would hit if I pulled in to much.

That will make a triable sound. Whistling.gif

I think our setup's bunks are a bit longer than 10' but this is how we lift our VLX.

_mg_2720.jpg

I'll have to look on my external and see if I can find a better picture, but basically I try to get the bunks 4"-6" from the transom. That's also how we kept the SAN as well...

DSC00069.JPG

if this forum provided a way for me to attach an image I'd show you how I have my lift setup for my Malibu...post this question on www.wakeworld.com and I bet you'll get good responses, and everyone can post pictures of their setups.

if this forum provided a way for me to attach an image I'd show you how I have my lift setup for my Malibu...post this question on www.wakeworld.com and I bet you'll get good responses, and everyone can post pictures of their setups.

Just upload your pics to any of the free online photo services. (Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, etc, etc.) Then you can post the img url.

Thanks for all who responded so far ... good info!

We have a 2008 Vride (which is same hull as your 2004 VLX). We position our boat so that the transom extends about 6" past the back side of the lift bunks. Have been doing this for a year & a half now and works well. Our lift is a Basta Boat Lift. I visited Basta personally to ask about this issue.

Edited by Cory

My dealer gave me this advice, and it worked perfectly:

For a tandem axle trailer, the weight of the boat is centered between the two axles. On a single axle trailer, the center is just in front of the axle. This assumes you purchased the trailer with the boat and so it has been setup specifically for the boat.

With the boat on the trailer, put a piece of tape on the boat rub rail directly above the center point between the two axles (if you have a single-axle trailer, just put it about 3" in front of the axle). Then measure the bunks on your lift and put a piece of tape at the center. Put the boat on the lift and line up the marks. I then set a visual reference for every time I pull the boat on the lift: Line up the rear guide-on on the lift so that it is just in front of the rear cleat.