Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ok, dumb question...Wedge up or down position?

hybridpower

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but the boat I just bought has a wegde, and to be frank, I'm not fully sure how to use it properly.

Obviously it goes up and down, but I want to be sure how to use it correctly.

My understanding is that with it "up" (as right below the swim step) I should get a bigger wake. How much does this limit speed? Is it harder on the engine?

Any tips would really be apreciated.

Anyway, sorry about the dumb question! Happy 4th!

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but the boat I just bought has a wegde, and to be frank, I'm not fully sure how to use it properly.

Obviously it goes up and down, but I want to be sure how to use it correctly.

My understanding is that with it "up" (as right below the swim step) I should get a bigger wake. How much does this limit speed? Is it harder on the engine?

Any tips would really be apreciated.

Anyway, sorry about the dumb question! Happy 4th!

You want to do just the opposite of what you're talking about. Down position is for larger wake as the prop forces water down over the wedge plate and creates downforce on the back of the boat creating more displacement and therefore a larger wake. The "up" position as you describe it is more for moving about the water.

Did you buy new? If you did, I would think that your dealer would have gone over this with you :unsure:

With the wedge up, it has virtually no effect on the wake. I saw virtually because some will argue that there is still some drag, but that's very minimal!

Power wedge - Play with it while underway and watch it change the shape of the wake. Some like it all the way down, others like it 3/4 or 1/2 way down.

Free floating wedge - It's either up or down. It adjusts on it's own.

With either one, I wouldn't go faster then 25-28 without first putting it up. It's okay if you forget for a minute, it happens and won't destroy the boat after one 'opps'

I never use the wedge at a speed faster than I pull someone behind the boat. I would just cry if I ever ripped it off the stern because I was going to fast.

Edited by WakingMeHappy