Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Optima Batt.....

I have a 5 Batt set up with the blue top deep cycles......

About three weeks ago I thought I found that weak link when one of the Stereo batts went HOT. My system would not read higher than like 12.9 volts at any time, replaced the batt and it our system came up to like 13.1 or so.

We decided to install an on-board charger(Minn Kota MK 440) 40 amps total with 4 bays. Hooked it up Tue night and by Wed morning we had another Nuclear Hot batt. Replaced it and went out last night. This morning same thing with a diff batt, HOT! Dontknow.gif

All the batts I've had an issue with are from like 07 and have had no issues with the new ones.

Anyone ever ran into this or have any words of wisdom? If not I'm going to pull my hair out........

as in the battery its self warms up and is hot temperature wise? Is it just warm to the touch? Or very hot like it would burn your hand hot?

as in the battery its self warms up and is hot temperature wise? Is it just warm to the touch? Or very hot like it would burn your hand hot?

The batt get HOT..... Not burning your hand hot but uncomfortable....

Only the older ones are getting hot... all the rest stay nice and cool....

I work in the auto industry and called a local guy here at a batt shop who I trust. Long story short he thinks the old batt are having an internal issue and shorting out inside. He put like this, "trying to charge a 9 volt batt with 12 volts......

Just looking to see if anyone else has had the same issue and what they did to fix it......

Thanks for any input :)

unfortunatly with a bank of batteries you want to keep them as close as possible in age. When you have one or two old ones and add some new ones the old ones are constantly dragging the new ones down to their level. You also want to make sure you identical batteries when hooking them together.

unfortunatly with a bank of batteries you want to keep them as close as possible in age. When you have one or two old ones and add some new ones the old ones are constantly dragging the new ones down to their level. You also want to make sure you identical batteries when hooking them together.

Rockon.gif

That's what we're doing tonight. Just picked up two more and that should finish the job!

That is what I've been thinking, but I'm no expert..... You guys have a huge system also and I'm sure you've been through this.....

Not to take this thread in a totally different directions what you do you guys feel about capacitors?

I have a few friends that are blaming the issue on them. I've talked to several GOOD stereo guys and they say that's not the issue......

Rockon.gif

That's what we're doing tonight. Just picked up two more and that should finish the job!

That is what I've been thinking, but I'm no expert..... You guys have a huge system also and I'm sure you've been through this.....

Not to take this thread in a totally different directions what you do you guys feel about capacitors?

I have a few friends that are blaming the issue on them. I've talked to several GOOD stereo guys and they say that's not the issue......

I don't believe the capacitors are your problem. I have 2 capacitors hooked up to my stereo system and it runs off of a single Optima Blue Top. The battery is 9 years old and has never given a problem. I have 2 batteries in the boat but they are not connected together except for the grounds. Each battery has its on alternator (yes i added one). So the main battery is used for starting and all accessories that the boat came equiped with. The Optima battery only powers the amps, all 3 of them.

Are all of your batts connected together in parallel? What is the capacity of your alternator? Are your batteries reaching a full charge while running or have you been charging them when you bring the boat home? 5 batteries together is quite a load on any charging system. I would tend to believe that the batteries are slowly deteriorating internally due to not being charged enough.

Rockon.gif

I don't believe the capacitors are your problem. I have 2 capacitors hooked up to my stereo system and it runs off of a single Optima Blue Top. The battery is 9 years old and has never given a problem. I have 2 batteries in the boat but they are not connected together except for the grounds. Each battery has its on alternator (yes i added one). So the main battery is used for starting and all accessories that the boat came equiped with. The Optima battery only powers the amps, all 3 of them.

Are all of your batts connected together in parallel? What is the capacity of your alternator? Are your batteries reaching a full charge while running or have you been charging them when you bring the boat home? 5 batteries together is quite a load on any charging system. I would tend to believe that the batteries are slowly deteriorating internally due to not being charged enough.

I agree, the batt have not been getting a full charge. To answer your question, alt 100 amp, 4 stereo batt are in parallel and one start batt on it's own.... My fix for the under charge issue was the new on-board charger(4 bay 40 amp).....

We have now replaced 4 out of the 5 batt and hooked the charger up......

Went over this morning and checked everything out..... No bad smell in the shop and all four lights showed fully charged! Clap.gif

I think we got this one licked.......

Rockon.gif

I agree, the batt have not been getting a full charge. To answer your question, alt 100 amp, 4 stereo batt are in parallel and one start batt on it's own.... My fix for the under charge issue was the new on-board charger(4 bay 40 amp).....

We have now replaced 4 out of the 5 batt and hooked the charger up......

Went over this morning and checked everything out..... No bad smell in the shop and all four lights showed fully charged! Clap.gif

I think we got this one licked.......

What is the total wattage rating (RMS) of your stereo system and how long do you usually sit listening with the engine off? The reason I'm asking is to get an idea of how much you are discharging your batteries.

My single Blue top powers my 1200+ watt (3 amps) system for over an hour before needing a charge. However I have a dedicated alternator (120A) just for my stereo. It supplies enough juice to power the stereo (while running) plus charge the Blue Top. I know it is not common practice to configure a system this way,..... but it's the way I chose to do it and it has work great. I would recommend this for anyone building a high power sound system.