Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tubing Poll

WakingMeHappy

To tube or not to tube?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pull tubes with your boat?

• Yes, they are a lot of fun.
    • No, nothing wrong with them. We just prefer other water sports.
    • No, they?re dangerous and should be banned. (defend your answer)
    • No!, there?s no freak?in way I?m allowing a tube in my Wakeboard Boat. (defend your answer)
  2. 2. Who tubes in your boat?

• Everyone
    • Adults because there are no kids
    • Kids
    • Friends who like the water but can?t ski or board
    • Pets (if you check this one we need pics please)
    • No one

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakingMeHappy

• Ndawg12

• WakeGirl

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tubers breed into personal watercraft operators later in life. Both should be banned on bodies of water less than 500 acres maybe even 1000. Since both drive in an erratic fashion and you can't cure ignorance -send them to the oceans!

I hate having to be the fun killer but it is my job, I am very proactive with education but laws are laws whether liked or not. If 80% would actually learn the rules this love -hate debate would be minimal.

Whistling.gif

Here are my thoughts

I’m against towing tubes unless the water is completely blown out and white caps are breaking over the bow. I have some resentment toward boaters who fill the tube prior to leaving the house. But my biggest beef is when tubers find the narrowest stretch of glassy water and then destroy it. Tubers please stay out in the main open areas and leave the good water for the skiers and boarders.

Please

We have a rule that there's no tubing before lunch... That also makes the younger ones try the other toys if they want to get behind the boat before the tubes come out.

We typically keep it in the main channels when they're not too busy (hardly ever), but occasionally when you find nice water that nobody else is using, it's nice to get whipped out across the glass.

martinarcher
Whistling.gif

Here are my thoughts

I’m against towing tubes unless the water is completely blown out and white caps are breaking over the bow. I have some resentment toward boaters who fill the tube prior to leaving the house. But my biggest beef is when tubers find the narrowest stretch of glassy water and then destroy it. Tubers please stay out in the main open areas and leave the good water for the skiers and boarders.

Please

Plus1.gif When I round the corner to our favorite boarding shoreline and see a tuber tearing up the glass it just makes me wonder what they are thinking??? Dontknow.gif

If there is a boat pulling a boarder we have a great time sharing the shoreline and the water remains fine as we both run the shoreline and the wake dissipate quickly after the boat rolls by.

Last week we had just finished the final run of the week. I was putting away ski ropes & securing boards before heading back to the dock when I saw these kids (16-18?? maybe) in an I/O pulling a tube way too fast. The poor rider fell off several times. Hard, too... Then he gets back on it and the guy takes off with a hole shot without taking the slack out of the rope. Rider goes a$$ over tea kettle off the back. Tube is about 8 feet in the air. I was going to go talk to them but when I looked up again, they were gone. I sincerely hope no one got hurt.

We let anyone who wants to tube. Usually it's just kids. I'm all for learning a skilled sport, but the first time boaters that we have been having lately (my 7 yr olds newest friends- one family at a time-) the tube is lots of fun. Most kids are scared to death to be behind a boat for the first time. (Me included @10) If I can give them a positive, fun first experience I can usually talk them into trying something more challenging later on. I may have to institute the no tubing before noon rule to help spur on the learning of skilled sports...

If people skied too, I woundn't mind them as much. On the lake I vacation on, tubing has just ruined the lake, nobody skies anymore. I'm ready to find a new lake after 45 years. I will pull my daughters (college age) once or twice a vacation, but they must get some good skiing days in first. My tubes a mainly used as pillows when I put the cover on the boat. If they were ever banned, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Ranting.gif Caution, I’m about to take advantage of this thread and vent some frustration that was increased significantly over the weekend by mindless, inconsiderate wally tubers.

Saturday we got out early to avoid the weekend wallys and get a decent parking spot.

Long about 11:30-12:00 they really got thick as we were down the lake pretty far to enjoy some water worth doing anything on. As we drove back toward the ramp area with a tuber in tow ourselves, the idiots became very thick and the close encounters of the terrifying kind became numerous. Nearly all of these occurrences were from water churning, clueless knuckleheads pulling a tube in the typical figure 8 or mindlessly chaotic wally fashion.

In short order we got our tuber safely out of the water and rode huge rollers all the way back because of the vast number of morons acting this way with boats that look like they would need zero ballast to comfortably surf behind.

To say the least, the sooner we could get off of this craziness, the better. After the wait in line and more frustration with what seemed to be training day at the ramp for every other person there, leaving the lake was something enjoyable…how’s that for a switch?

Now my family and I enjoy seeing someone have a good time on a tube just as much as anyone. Our boat whips the tube back and forth across the wakes fairly easy and a lot of G-force can be generated without much effort. The kids and any first timers get their thrills without getting beat up and bounced around while maintaining a general heading on the right side of the lake the whole time. If only the other common runabouts would do the same, the water could be soooo much better, what gives here?

The super wide S’s that so many other generic runabouts seem to enjoy, occupy as much of the lake as they possibly can and many don’t have any real direction or heading.

I just can’t stand it when some idiot is making none stop figure eights or other chaotic maneuvers like this with a tube over and over that churns the water so bad, you have to constantly back off planning speed just to keep the people inside the boat from jarring their teeth loose.

When wally performs such an action and then comes within the “comfort zone”distance of my boat smiling, laughing & cluelessly waiving at us, I just want to load some thing and fire it at them.

Crazy.gif Somewhere between ignorance and lack of common sense, the inconsiderate wally tuber finds blissful entertainment in turning glass into a turbulent sea for all to endure. Crazy.gif

I feel better now that I’ve shared that, but only a little.

Save it for I/Os and outboards Wallies.

Occasionally for the little kids and less than 20mph and nowhere near any other boats or structures - MAYBE.

Anybody going over 20mph pulling a tube within 200 feet of anything - you're an idiot and dangerous and shouldn't be driving a boat.

Sunday morning, 6:45am, just at sun-up, we are on the swim platform ready to get a barefoot run in when lo-behold, here comes a 24foot Hurricane deck boat pulling a tuber from around the corner. Needless to say he got my typical go-fudge-yourself holler.

I classify Tubers and PWC owners in a whole group of their own. Disrespectful sadistic brainless a-holes.

The time for tubing and PWC recreation is mid-day when the lake is busy, not at 7am when someone who actually has some SKILL is out there trying to get a good ski or barefoot run in.

We occasionally pull a tube, but usually like everyone else is saying, when the lake is to rough for anything else, when people who out with us can't ski, board or surf, or when we have young kids with. To be honest, our tube gets used more being anchored as an island for swimming than being pulled.

What really, really, really gets me is when a boat or PWC pulling a tube gets close right behind us while we are pulling a wakeboarder or surfer. Of course we have a nice wave for them to play with, but do they really have to follow us around the lake making me-the driver and the rider panic that they are going to lose control and or do something stupid? There is one lake I don't even like going to anymore because everytime we start a pull, some teenagers from shore buzz out on PWC to jump our waves.

Ok, I've vented.....

• 1 month later...

Maybe you should have to get a separate license to tow tubers...

I have no problem with tubing, as long as it's done done in a respectful manner (as almost every previous post states, but I wanted to say it again).

Here is a recent EXAMPLE of someone who wouldn't be qualified for a license.

(my friend was the guy in the boat with the dog)

Edited by RedOwl
Maybe you should have to get a separate license to tow tubers...

I have no problem with tubing, as long as it's done done in a respectful manner (as almost every previous post states, but I wanted to say it again).

(my friend was the guy in the boat with the dog)

So how did the girl end up and did they talk with your buddy?

I'm not entirely sure how the girl ended up. My friend said she most likely had a broken arm and collar bone, but he wasn't sure of any other injuries. When the girl hit his boat, he pulled her on to the swim platform while the dad circled back. He tried to engage the dad in conversation about the accident and what to do next, but dad grabbed her, put her in the boat and took off.

My friend was able to get a hold of the Sheriff's office so they could come out, take a statement and look at his boat.

As another note, the "spotter" in the Dad's boat was his 7 year old son and a friend.

I'm not entirely sure how the girl ended up. My friend said she most likely had a broken arm and collar bone, but he wasn't sure of any other injuries. When the girl hit his boat, he pulled her on to the swim platform while the dad circled back. He tried to engage the dad in conversation about the accident and what to do next, but dad grabbed her, put her in the boat and took off.

My friend was able to get a hold of the Sheriff's office so they could come out, take a statement and look at his boat.

As another note, the "spotter" in the Dad's boat was his 7 year old son and a friend.

Hopefully she's ok, sounds like dad was trying to drive, be a spotter, and babysit 2 kids all at the same time!!

I’d be curious to know how fast he was driving. If she jumped off the tube and still hydroplaned into the boat, either she was real close or he was driving real fast. We tube sometime but about 20 MPH is as fast as I go which is plenty for the kids to have fun.