Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06'vride and the Fly high W711

Ndawg12

I have a 06 vride as well and am trying to decide to start with bow ballast or two rear ballast sacs. Can only get one or the other (for now), and since I usually go with just 2 or 3 people in the boat I am wondering which would be more benificial for me. I have the power wedge as well and stock center ballast but that is it. What do you guys think?

I also have a 2006 Vride. I have the power wedge, rear sacs (440 each), center tank, and the integated bow sac. My favorite wake is with power wedge, center tank full, bow sac full, (rear sacs empty) and 3 people in the boat. If I run the rear sacs I do not use the wedge. But as you will find everyone likes something different :)

So my vote is for the bow sac.

hmmmm...you could have just PM'd me

250 maybe 300

ah yes, the bow ballast nazi!! :) I couldn't remember how you had yours set up, I just knew you had it!! Seems like a waste to have a 650lb sac only fill less than half, maybe if someone was bored some day they could drain into a 5 gallon bucket and post their results Whistling.gif . I'm about to post my proposed set up, please take a look and give me your 2 pennies!!

I have a 06 vride as well and am trying to decide to start with bow ballast or two rear ballast sacs. Can only get one or the other (for now), and since I usually go with just 2 or 3 people in the boat I am wondering which would be more benificial for me. I have the power wedge as well and stock center ballast but that is it. What do you guys think?

I think most will tell you to start with the bow, that's what I'm doing....wait, you don't have any rear ballast??? Then that's a good question. Thanks for Hijacking my post, but you can have it. Tease2.gif

Edited by nemire12

Didn't mean to hijack your post lol. I was actually thinking about the same bow sac was the reason I ask. I want quite a bit of additional weight and since I never hardly have people sitting in the bow, I was thinking about going with the w711 or just go with the 1000 lbs triangle open bow sac and put it on top of the seats and store it when not using it. Just want the maximum weight for the money. Don't know if it will fit in the bow on top of seat though. Gotta go get some measurements unless you guys know what they are. Ballast bag is 54" x 54" 12"

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Didn't mean to hijack your post lol. I was actually thinking about the same bow sac was the reason I ask. I want quite a bit of additional weight and since I never hardly have people sitting in the bow, I was thinking about going with the w711 or just go with the 1000 lbs triangle open bow sac and put it on top of the seats and store it when not using it. Just want the maximum weight for the money. Don't know if it will fit in the bow on top of seat though. Gotta go get some measurements unless you guys know what they are. Ballast bag is 54" x 54" 12"

Thanks

Did you ever happen to get measurements to see if the W711 fit nicely in your open bow?

We have a 06 VLX and I want to run the W711 bag up front on top of the seats for additional weight(we have the 350lb tank already).

I am concerned with where the fill port is and will it or the sac rub really bad on the upholstery?

Thanks

I have eight 40 lb Pop bags of scrap lead that I've been playing with. If I have even 6 of them in the bow (240 lbs), plus 4 or 5 people, plus the other 3 stock tanks full of ballast, the wake is great, but the bow is low enough in the water that the driver has to be pretty on the ball to not sub the bow. And if a couple of people go sit up in the bow, well, lets just say it gets interesting quickly. :crazy:

Just wondering how this experience compares to other Vride / older VLX owners with bow ballast.

I have eight 40 lb Pop bags of scrap lead that I've been playing with. If I have even 6 of them in the bow (240 lbs), plus 4 or 5 people, plus the other 3 stock tanks full of ballast, the wake is great, but the bow is low enough in the water that the driver has to be pretty on the ball to not sub the bow. And if a couple of people go sit up in the bow, well, lets just say it gets interesting quickly. :crazy:

Just wondering how this experience compares to other Vride / older VLX owners with bow ballast.

Your 05 v-ride is slightly shallower in hull depth then our 06 VLX correct? How low does your nose get?

Your 05 v-ride is slightly shallower in hull depth then our 06 VLX correct? How low does your nose get?

Yea, smaller hull all around. Not sure I can say exactly how low it gets. I will have to take some pictures of it full & empty sometime.

The Vride is a lot deeper hull than my last boat, which was a 94 MC 205. Even with the stock ballast full, I love just hangin out in the boat watching others around us. Our surfer neighbors will cruise by 30' away & the boat takes their roller in stride. It's a lot less tense than the 205 was where I'd be sweatin it when a big wave was heading my direction.... quick, start the boat, position it so we take the wave on the bow, power over it, etc. And frankly I haven't had that much problem with taking water over the bow when I'm driving. It's my "less than experienced" drivers who do.

Yea, smaller hull all around. Not sure I can say exactly how low it gets. I will have to take some pictures of it full & empty sometime.

The Vride is a lot deeper hull than my last boat, which was a 94 MC 205. Even with the stock ballast full, I love just hangin out in the boat watching others around us. Our surfer neighbors will cruise by 30' away & the boat takes their roller in stride. It's a lot less tense than the 205 was where I'd be sweatin it when a big wave was heading my direction.... quick, start the boat, position it so we take the wave on the bow, power over it, etc. And frankly I haven't had that much problem with taking water over the bow when I'm driving. It's my "less than experienced" drivers who do.

Cool I was trying to remember what our 02 VLX was like. I know we could sink the platform a lot easier on that boat then with the 06, but the 02 had a great wake as well. I really liked that boat. I was just asking you because you made me a little nervous about having our nose too low in the water with the extra weight I am planning to add for next season.

I would start with bow ballast and leave the stock rear ballast for now....unless you are talking surfing. Then opinions seem to vary. I run a 400# sack in the front pushed over to the surf side and others run either less or none. I found it is a MUST on my boat.

I actually like having the 400 sitting on top of the seats cause my day on the water usually consists of riding till I can't hang on anymore and then surfing. Or just surfing. And since I use bow weight surfing I just move the bag. Thats my opinion.

Oh and from now on I will surf with a full tank of gas whenever I can. Makes a big difference.

Does anyone have this installed under the bow seats on a similar year vride and how much wieght do you estimate it's actually filling up to?

I have it.. I'm with JohnSVT, I don't think I'm getting more than 250 in there. However, I am running about 250-300lbs of lead in the nose and depending on the number of people I have riding with me I throw a Fly High W714 in the walkway.

If I can remember, I'll hop in the water and snap a few pics when mine is fully loaded. I'm guessing that my nose is sitting 8-10 inches out of the water. :whistle:

Go with the bow ballast to start. It will firm the wake up on your boat and give you room to play with fine tuning when adding rear weight.

I have it.. I'm with JohnSVT, I don't think I'm getting more than 250 in there. However, I am running about 250-300lbs of lead in the nose and depending on the number of people I have riding with me I throw a Fly High W714 in the walkway.

If I can remember, I'll hop in the water and snap a few pics when mine is fully loaded. I'm guessing that my nose is sitting 8-10 inches out of the water. :whistle:

This might be dumb, but could you snap a picture of the W711 bag in the nose blown up a little(just use air if you can). I just want to see how well it sits on top of the seats.

If its a buggar to pull out from under the seats then don't sweat it. I am just curious to see how it sits and looks up there.

This might be dumb, but could you snap a picture of the W711 bag in the nose blown up a little(just use air if you can). I just want to see how well it sits on top of the seats.

If its a buggar to pull out from under the seats then don't sweat it. I am just curious to see how it sits and looks up there.

I'll definitely pull it out and throw it on top of the seats to grab a picture.

I have eight 40 lb Pop bags of scrap lead that I've been playing with. If I have even 6 of them in the bow (240 lbs), plus 4 or 5 people, plus the other 3 stock tanks full of ballast, the wake is great, but the bow is low enough in the water that the driver has to be pretty on the ball to not sub the bow. And if a couple of people go sit up in the bow, well, lets just say it gets interesting quickly. Crazy.gif

I run 2 155lbs sacs (cubes) up front for boarding and skating (I do not yet want to loose the bow storage). I really like how it mellows the wake, alot of time i will run with only about 250 (out of the 750) in the rears, wedge down, belly full and the 310 up front, three to four guys in the boat and it is all a 44 year old can handle...............................

only downside to this is they have to be mannually filled, but because they are ony 155 each they can be dragged to other prts of the boat

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on it!! Been totally covered up with work the last couple weeks. Hopefully I can pull it out of the garage long enough to snap some pics this weekend!

Sorry it took so long guys. Super busy with work and had a rough start to my weekend....

Here is the link to the pic of the W711 on top of the seats. It is filled with air, but will expand to quite a bit larger with water in it.