Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best accessory/add on/toy for under $250 Also new to the Forum!

LifesAh0liday

I just recently traded in my '95 Four Winns for a '93 Malibu Skier with 430 hours. Biggrin.gif

I am itchin to spend some money on goodies for my boat but as a recent college grad. money is always a concern. What are some opinions on the best way I can spend $250 (or under). I use my boat for a little of everything: slalom, kneeboarding, wakeboarding, barefooting, tubing, partying at the sandbar....etc. I have been thinking about getting things like a barefoot boom or skylon, stereo upgrade, mirror upgrade, underwater lights....etc.

I am open to any cool ideas...cosmetic, performance, function. Let me know your thoughts.

Welcome to the crue, the best add on so far for my boat was a skylon wakeboard pole. It goes up and comes down with in a min and made riding a blast! Rockon.gif

Congrats. For $250, I'd make sure everyting is running fine, fresh oil and filter, check transmission fluid, new impeller, repacked wheel bearings and the 1/2 rack you need while you do all of that. Spend the rest (haha, as if there will be any) on gas. If you have already taken care of all of that and have 250 left, then I'd say used or discounted wakeboart or ski, or nice vest, rope, helmet, gloves.

Congrats. For $250, I'd make sure everyting is running fine, fresh oil and filter, check transmission fluid, new impeller, repacked wheel bearings and the 1/2 rack you need while you do all of that. Spend the rest (haha, as if there will be any) on gas. If you have already taken care of all of that and have 250 left, then I'd say used or discounted wakeboart or ski, or nice vest, rope, helmet, gloves.

Add a Racor LG50 to that & you've got yourself a party. :)

Add a Racor LG50 to that & you've got yourself a party. :)

Is that a stripper pole? Biggrin.gif

I have a buddy that has a Skylon Pole in his garage that he never uses. He got a boat with a tower. I know he is looking to sell it and would probably let it go for just over the cost of shipping. If you are interested, put a reply in this post and I will private message you a phone number to call.

I have a buddy that has a Skylon Pole in his garage that he never uses. He got a boat with a tower. I know he is looking to sell it and would probably let it go for just over the cost of shipping. If you are interested, put a reply in this post and I will private message you a phone number to call.

If Holiday passes on the used Skylon pole, I would be interested...

# 1. BIMINI TOP

You can source this from Overton's and install it yourself.

This will extend your time on the water each day. So this means if you take an hour each day to and from the water that you can hang out longer without sun fatigue and the top greatly reduces your risk of skin cancer. This will change the ratio of fun time by a couple of hours to the ratio of travel/maintenance time.

Also, if you waterski you do not need a tower, or a huge boat to store wakeboards, poles, booms, and so forth. No tower = no $3000 stereo.

You can shop craigslist for water toys as there are plenty of folks who start into boating and fade quickly.

After a couple of years you may reach the obsessive/compulsive stage that The Malibu Crew gang is and that is the time to buy the $500+ ski or wakeboard and the $80 rope.

Learn to do your own maintenance early on and save the money for the toys.

I have a used one as well if you guys are interested. It's the Barefoot International Fly High pole. No need for it now that I have a tower.

PM sent

IMO, the below items are "must haves"

1. Tower Or Skylon pole2. Racks

3. Bimini

4. Basic stereo

Plus1.gif

And thats after a good tune up.

Use the $250 for gas and go ride!!! Thumbup.gif wait till your funds are better and save up to get the stuff your really want. Dont settle for things you dont really want just because you are limited on funds at the time.

Use the $250 for gas and go ride!!! Thumbup.gif wait till your funds are better and save up to get the stuff your really want. Dont settle for things you dont really want just because you are limited on funds at the time.

Plus1.gif

This would be the best advice I could give. I cannot tell you home many times I have bought somthing for the boat...and upgraded. you will spend less money in the long run if you save up and do it right the first time.

Priority #1 should be to make sure that your trailer and boat are in excellent working order. Then make sure you have the necessary gear (skiis, kneeboard and wakeboard).

After that it is all up to your tastes and what you are intersted in spending your time doing. I would definately suggest getting a wakeboard pole to try out wakeboarding before your drop a grand or more on a wakebaord tower.

HEre is what I would suggest

1. Boat fluid/filter/impeller change

2. Re-pack bearings on trailer

3. Buy the gear that (skiis, kneeboard, wakeboard)

4. Buy a Bimini Cover

5. Buy a Extended pylon and rack

After that I would upgrade the stereo if needed and then lastly I would upgrade to a tower and add tower racks, then speakers lights.

Add things that serve a purpose and help increase your enjoyment and time spent on the water. After that you can start showing off and adding all the fancy stuff.

You could opt for the pylon pole...they double nicely as a stripper pole. Thumbup.gif

Tune it and use it. Your use will quickly dictate what you do and do not need. Save the money for any surprise repairs you don't expect.

Tune it and use it. Your use will quickly dictate what you do and do not need. Save the money for any surprise repairs you don't expect.

I agree with this. I've already had to replace the battery, bilge, exhaust hose, and re-wire the stereo on the boat I bought 2 months ago. None of those items were "expected" reapirs

$250 won't go too far. I too would go with a bearfoot boom. Check the classified and such. Remember, the best two days in a boat owners life is the day the buy it and the day they sell it. Biggrin.gifCry.gif That, of course, excludes Bu owners! Yahoo.gif

We allways measure what we spend in boat stuff in "units". Each $100 spent is 1 unit. Spend $500 and just say 5 units. It makes it sound less expensive. Whistling.gif

martinarcher
$250 won't go too far. I too would go with a bearfoot boom. Check the classified and such. Remember, the best two days in a boat owners life is the day the buy it and the day they sell it. Biggrin.gifCry.gifThat, of course, excludes Bu owners! Yahoo.gif

We allways measure what we spend in boat stuff in "units". Each $100 spent is 1 unit. Spend $500 and just say 5 units. It makes it sound less expensive. Whistling.gif

That's what the guy at the notary said- "See you in two years when you sell it." We've had it a year now and there is no way you'll pry the keys our of my hands in a looonnnggg while. I'm hooked! Thumbup.gif