Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine gasping for gas?

My 03 Sunscape, Monsoon 335 (700 hours) runs great all day long, but after sitting for an hour or two at the end of the day, doesn't want to start. The engine turns over, gasps for fuel, and dies. If you open the engine compartment, and let it sit for 30 min or so, it starts right up and runs great. This has happened 2 nights in a row, 1st time we had a full tank of gas, secong time 1/3 tank of gas.

This happened one other time (1 week ago), which prompted us to replace the fuel pump. I thought this issue was caused by the fuel pump, but apparently not?

The guys that service my boat say it might be a vapor lock?

This boat gets serviced every year, oil changes, everything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

yep...bet 10 to 1 it is vapor lock. Some tricks to minimize this is to run the blower to ventilate the heat from the engine compartment after running hard, or dip a towel in the cooler or lake ring it out then set it against the fuel pump for a few minutes. This works everytime.

Vapor lock is a big pain, but pretty easy to deal with once you know how.

Thanks for all the reply's, I really appreciate it. I will search vapor lock, as suggested, and learn more.

You will know if it is vapor lock (heat soak) by touching the fuel pump(silver canister). If it is hot to the touch that is your problem. Solution is to keep the engine hatch open when you sit for more than 15-20 mins. When you forget to do that ,do what was stated above, put a cold damp cloth on the fuel pump to cool it down should only take a few mins. and your good to go.