Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Portable Battery Jump Starter

babybu

I bought a cheap one on ebay for like $30. I haven't had to use it yet but I unhooked my truck (V8) battery completely just to see what this thing could do. It actually turned over completely 1 time. So I figure if my boat battery even has some power left in it, the jumper will get me over the top. The best thing would be to install a second battery with some kind of switch.

MalibuNation
I bought a cheap one on ebay for like $30. I haven't had to use it yet but I unhooked my truck (V8) battery completely just to see what this thing could do. It actually turned over completely 1 time. So I figure if my boat battery even has some power left in it, the jumper will get me over the top. The best thing would be to install a second battery with some kind of switch.

Ain't cheap and I keep it in my boat or car or truck, whatever I'm driving at the time ... helps justify the cost.

Jump and Air

One of my buddies frequently runs his battery down. He bought one of those portable jumpers. It is not always enough.

The BEST solution is to buy the HEAVIEST duty 12 foot jumper cables.

I have not had to use them for my boat because I replace my boat battery frequently.

But I do use them one to three times a year to bail somebody else out.

If you get the heaviest duty cables they will work every time because the current flow is not limited by wimpy cables.

http://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-08665-B...e/dp/B000022440

http://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-08862-B...e/dp/B00002243X

Edited by DONTW8

I use a 400 amp Husky from Lowe's. 99 bucks. I was skeptical at first, but now I am a believer. The trick is to keep it charged up so it is ready when you need it. I'm plugging mine in now. :blush:

I've had one from Coleman for a number of years and it has done quite nicely for me to start the boat, motorhome, motorhome generator, and cars. I have been thinking about getting another one to keep in the motorhome and leave the other one in the boat.

This is the REAL DEAL I've had this model for years and used numerous times and it's never let me down. I can't believe the battery is still good, I mean, I'm talking this thing is about 10 yrs. old now. Buy it.

edit...I think every boater should have one of these; just like a spare tire for your trailer and a spare prop.

Edited by Pistol Pete
MalibuNation
This is the REAL DEAL I've had this model for years and used numerous times and it's never let me down. I can't believe the battery is still good, I mean, I'm talking this thing is about 10 yrs. old now. Buy it.

edit...I think every boater should have one of these; just like a spare tire for your trailer and a spare prop.

JNC make great products!

Thanks everyone. I bought one at Walmart that was rated "1150 amps". Had to return it because it wasn't powerful enough to crank the motor.

Might buy one of the "Solar" brand chargers or search the site on how to add a second battery.

I can confirm that this is a good one. I teach automotives and the kids use these every day as it is impossible to keep the batteries up in all 6 shop cars. These are used very heavily and have lasted 2-3 years.