Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warden...wrong again!!!

CLOUT1

So my brother and I are out towing a bunch of kids on a big tube Saturday night just after sunset in the rain and we see the warden heading our way so we zipped around and hit the dock. The two came in and said they pulled us over because we were towing someone / something behind a boat after sunset. We argued with him that the Law in Maine is 30 minutes after sunset and the warden doing all of the talking (much older / senior guy) said he had been doing this for years and he was right (of course they didn't have a book on them). Since we have been through this before, my brother had a copy in the house so he ran up to get it...we won, they tucked their tails and went home. A much longer / funnier story, but my question is, what time do you have to put the skis / boards on the dock??? We were up at Pushaw in Old Town, ME. so for those of you in the area...30 minutes AFTER sundown. Yahoo.gifClap.gifRockon.gif "I'm sick and tired of being right all the time."

Edited by CLOUT1
martinarcher

We have to be in the boat just before sunset here in PA. I wish we could go an hour more that would be awesome! We can stop right on time, buzz back across the lake to the launch, pull the boat out, clean it up and dry it off, and drive half way home before it really gets dark. Cry.gif

Edited by martinarcher

It would be great to be able to ski/wakeboard/surf after sunset...

In Indiana it is no wake sunset to sunrise..

I live on a lake and I got a ticket several years ago for speeding 5 minutes after sunset Cry.gif

We were just on our way back to my house from skiing at the other end of the lake.

I would have been back at my dock in 5 minutes..

Scott

You are all correct, Michigan is 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. Ohio and Indiana are both sunrise to sunset. Speaking from experience...

Here in Minnesota we can ski until one hour after sunset.

On a positive side note, Jet skis have to be off the water and hour before sunset. Learned that one the hard way Whistling.gif

In MI it's an hour b4 sunrise and an hour after sunset.

... but they won't let you put a ski course on the lake and you have to boat around all the fisherman... Crazy.gif

So my brother and I are out towing a bunch of kids on a big tube Saturday night just after sunset in the rain and we see the warden heading our way so we zipped around and hit the dock. The two came in and said they pulled us over because we were towing someone / something behind a boat after sunset. We argued with him that the Law in Maine is 30 minutes after sunset and the warden doing all of the talking (much older / senior guy) said he had been doing this for years and he was right (of course they didn't have a book on them). Since we have been through this before, my brother had a copy in the house so he ran up to get it...we won, they tucked their tails and went home. A much longer / funnier story, but my question is, what time do you have to put the skis / boards on the dock??? We were up at Pushaw in Old Town, ME. so for those of you in the area...30 minutes AFTER sundown. Yahoo.gifClap.gifRockon.gif "I'm sick and tired of being right all the time."

That's funny. I hope he brought 2 beers out along with that book.

In Washington it's 24x7 as long as you have lights, plenty of booze, no judgment and no cops! Fingerwag.gif Of course with that mix you'd probably get run over before you got caught. Yes.gif

Actually, here is the regulation: It is illegal for vessels to tow a person(s) on water skis or any other device during the period from one hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise.

Which brings up an interesting point, what about surfing after you have tossed the rope? I doubt it would prevent you from getting tickted if it was dark, but you might get it thrown out on a technicality.

You are all correct, Michigan is 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. Ohio and Indiana are both sunrise to sunset. Speaking from experience...

Lucky...

And I only live 5 miles from the Michigan state line Drool.gif

Scott

Towing in CA is prohibited from Sunset to Sunrise. Night time operation of lake lice is prohibited.

I think its 30 before and after. :unsure:

Towing in CA is prohibited from Sunset to Sunrise. Night time operation of lake lice is prohibited.

Plus1.gif

Doesn't indicate that in the 2009 ABC's of boating in CA.

In NH, it's sunrise to sunset, but a number of years ago on my slalom course permit renewal application, I "accidently" substituted "...until sunset" with "...until dusk". It was approved! Dusk is by definition, after twilight (which is after sunset), i.e. the begining of darkness. It would have made an interesting court case.

On a side note, I asked two marine patrol officers (in the same boat) why they replaced two channel markers with a black top spar buoy (which really didn't belong there). They couldn't agree so I quietly left so they could argue amongst themselves...

...and one more: Several years back I was towing a skier, and a patrol boat was headed for the channel near where I was going to drop my skier. No big deal, I did the lazy dog leg so I wouldn't violate his space and the 150' rule. He decides to bang a 180, and comes out of the channel putting himself "offsides" (I had the right of way!) So I throw my hands up in the air, as in WTF!, and go right over to him after I dropped my skier. Once we both calmed down, and chatted a bit, the "kid" tells me this is his first year with the Marine Patrol, and he was doing (ocean) beach patrol for a couple of years prior... So, this makes him qualified to be given a boat and a ticket book?? He learned a few things that day, and I didn't get a ticket.

It's not about the safety, it's about the revenue!!

I have never checked the law but we have gone out for midnight runs...... Most of our cops are off the water long before we are......

Plus1.gif

I bow to your superior knowledge of California boating laws. It does say sunset to sunrise.

Could swear that it used to say half hour after to half hour before, but not any more.

So I guess I can't push it out on the water anymore.

Plus1.gif

I bow to your superior knowledge of California boating laws. It does say sunset to sunrise.

Could swear that it used to say half hour after to half hour before, but not any more.

So I guess I can't push it out on the water anymore.

You may now rise..... ROFL.gif Dam and when I was cruzing well into the dark hours, maybe it's the awesome music cranked that kept the water mongrals away.

Not like we haven't broke the law before, but it does say:

"The towing of water-skiers from sunset to sunrise is prohibited by state

law. Local laws may also restrict skiing at certain times during the day and in certain areas."

and the other most commonly mistaken law:

Wat e r - s k i FLAG

It is mandatory for the operator of a vessel involved in towing

a skier to display, or cause to be displayed, a red or

orange water-ski flag, to indicate:

■ A downed skier

■ A skier in the water preparing to ski

■ A ski line extended for the vessel

■ A ski in the water in the vicinity of the vessel

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/oplaw.pdf

That's funny. I hope he brought 2 beers out along with that book.

Funny you should say that...my brother's Response does not have a drink holder to the side of the driver's seat like mine does, but the space under the dash, driver's side, in front of your feet is a great space to throw two beer bottles!!!