Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchasing New Boat

Ballast

Please give me your opinions about the VTX weighted ( Wake hull ) vs. the '08 VLX and or '09 . 2010 new Wake hull? ( weighted ) it seemed that the VTX wake was not as thick and or peaky as the VLX's. Real shallow. HELP ME DECIDE PLEASE!!! Thank You

I'd say try to find a dealer with an 08 VLX that will let you upgrade the dash with Mali-vue (I think they can do that to 08's that still need to get moved.. if there are any I haven't really been looking). But I say that because I've heard and seen over on wakeworld that the 09 VLX wake isn't quite as rampy or even as big as it was with the V25 hull. And with the graphics and tower seen in the 2010 picture thread I wouldn't even look at one..

The only reason I would consider the VTX is if you plan on skiing, if not I wouldn't even bother with 20' boat

I have to disagree. I have a VTX and 99% wakeboard. I love it. That said if I could get a VLX with all the same stuff I just might but, the 10k extra was more then i could spend. I think the price difference may not be as much now as it was then, however.

Long and short you will not be unhappy with a VTX. I can make a wake that is so close to a VLX you can hardly tell. And it drives a hell of a lot nicer. But if the money is not a concern go for the VLX.

The only reason I would consider the VTX is if you plan on skiing, if not I wouldn't even bother with 20' boat

I have to disagree. I have a VTX and 99% wakeboard. I love it. That said if I could get a VLX with all the same stuff I just might but, the 10k extra was more then i could spend. I think the price difference may not be as much now as it was then, however.

Long and short you will not be unhappy with a VTX. I can make a wake that is so close to a VLX you can hardly tell. And it drives a hell of a lot nicer. But if the money is not a concern go for the VLX.

Agree! 100%. I have not been in an 09 vlx but i have been in/driven the 08' and earlier vlx's and they are slugs. (no offense to anyone who has one) Unless you are going pro the wake in my 08" VTX with the power wedge and the bow ballast is pretty bad a$$.

How big is your crew? Also a wakeboard wake does not shape up nicely in less than 8' of water, imo.

3-4 keeping small most the time so i can ride

How big is your crew? Also a wakeboard wake does not shape up nicely in less than 8' of water, imo.

I agree even more! We start the season on a river (4' - 9' deep) that runs into the St. Clair River that is our axcess to Lake Huron (8' - 30' deep) and the wake is NOTICABLY different between the two.

With 3-4 people both the VTX and VLX will provide ample room and storage. I’m not crazy about the MUX dash switches in the ’08-newer models, I prefer the ’07 model year for that. The VTX is slightly smaller of a wake but nothing that would keep anyone from completing a trick.

Storage is another issue the ’09-’10 VLX is wider than ’08 and previous years and over the VTX of 100” vs. 98”. Also given the VTX is lighter and has the same amount of fuel capacity you’ll get a bit more water time on one tank.

If Maliview is a deal breaker for you then you’ll either need to find a left over ’08 that is still in dealer stock or get a ’09 or ’10 year boat.

I own a VLX and after being in the VTX I couldn’t say the size is bothersome at all, I don’t think the wake of the VTX gets fair play imho.

With 3-4 people both the VTX and VLX will provide ample room and storage. I’m not crazy about the MUX dash switches in the ’08-newer models, I prefer the ’07 model year for that. The VTX is slightly smaller of a wake but nothing that would keep anyone from completing a trick.

Storage is another issue the ’09-’10 VLX is wider than ’08 and previous years and over the VTX of 100” vs. 98”. Also given the VTX is lighter and has the same amount of fuel capacity you’ll get a bit more water time on one tank.

If Maliview is a deal breaker for you then you’ll either need to find a left over ’08 that is still in dealer stock or get a ’09 or ’10 year boat.

I own a VLX and after being in the VTX I couldn’t say the size is bothersome at all, I don’t think the wake of the VTX gets fair play imho.

What to you mean about the VTX doesn't get fair play (IMHO)? i don't understand texting language,sorry

I think that he means that it's underrated. It's a very capable boat. The thing that was so strange is that they ran 5 ballast bags for surfing on the regular side, but only loaded up 2 for the goofy side & yet the waves were very similar. If I had a regular stance & liked to surf, I wouldn't even consider a VTX.

The only detraction with that boat, aside from the port side surf wave, is that it was (IMO) a little on the small side. 6 adults with their gear in a VTX would be as many as you'd want or maybe more than you'd want for a day (4 would be much more comfortable). 6 in a VLX is very comfortable. That 18 inches makes a huge difference, again JMO.

The only detraction with that boat, aside from the port side surf wave, is that it was (IMO) a little on the small side. 6 adults with their gear in a VTX would be as many as you'd want or maybe more than you'd want for a day (4 would be much more comfortable). 6 in a VLX is very comfortable. That 18 inches makes a huge difference, again JMO.

The space issue kind of makes me chuckle, because after being in the VTX I was in the older VLX and it's even smaller width wise. The length is shorter but it's wider than the pre '05 VLX's. I felt the VTX was larger and roomier all around and with the same ballast capacity of the VLX the wakeboard wake was impressive.