Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering buying a Malibu... How do they ride in rougher waters? Lake Havasu?

dragan

I am considering buying a Malibu boat, either the Wakesetter 23 LSV or 247 LSV. I am planning on using the boat for wakeboarding, wakeskating, and wake surfing. In addition, I want to be able to cruise down the Colorado river and Lake Havasu with the family and friends (around 8 people) and not get beat around. Both aspects are are equally important to me.

So my concern is how do these boats handle cruising down the Colorado river (near Moabi, Topock gorge, sand bar, etc) and in the rougher waters that can occur at Lake Havasu? Would I be better off getting an I/O instead maybe a Chaparral or Cobolt and put a wake tower on it?

I am sure their are many members on here that use their Malibu in these waters and could offer some great advice.

Thanks!

I've owned boats since 1972 and my dad had boats since I was 6 years old in 1952. He had all sorts of cruisers the largest being a 36 foot Chris Craft.

By far the most fun on the water that I have is on SMOOTH water. I do go cruising occasionally with a friend who has a 26' Mariah.

The problem with most outdrive cruisers is they have too much freeboard for lake conditions and they are lousy handling boats.

For this reason you should stay with a direct or v-drive.

It is not fun bouncing around on the water so if it's a rough water day I just DON'T GO.

One of my crew has a 1992 Sunsetter DD. It's a great all around boat because it actually is a pretty good cruiser due to relatively low noise levels.

By far the most fun we have in 21 boating days a year is towing skiers, wakeboarders, even tubes at the big campout.

When it gets choppy we either go home (day trips) or "gunkhole" in a little cove under the Bimini Top (Annual ten day campout).

So for me the correct answer is: Find a SMALLER lake or bend in the river or whatever to get out of the wind.

I think the best boat is the smallest boat that fits my needs not the largest.

Easier to tow, smaller ski wake, less expensive, etc. .....

My malibu is the third boat I have owned and my first dd ski boat. My i/o was better in rough water as far as cruising goes,it sat higher in the water than my echelon does. The performance,handling,ithey pull a rider like a tractor, and is second to none!!!!My boat is far older than what your looking to buy and we are on a different ends of the map. I will never go back to a i/o and love my dd.Its does everything very well just watch out for those choppy days. Once you own a true ski boat you will never own anything else.

The bigger Malibu's that you are looking at will handle rough waters without problem.

My little Sportster??? I wouldn't even launch it at Havasu. No.gif:lol:

Growing up we used to go to Havasu at least 3 times a year. Every trip had at least one day of launching at the London Bridge ramp and running up river to Topoc. We were there one year (July 4th week-end IIRC) and it was 124° in the shade at the Topoc Marina / Bar / whatever that place was. :lol: Looked like a trailer parked on the river. Thumbup.gif

martinarcher

Another thing to consider is you cannot surf behind an I/O. Doing so would simply be insane.

I just hate how I/O's handle. My skier handles like a sports car on the water. Thumbup.gif

We use a 23LSV on the river and havasu without any worries. We launch out of Needles and usually only make it down to the sandbar but sometimes we'll go all the way to the channel in Havasu. We've never been in a situation on the lake or river where we've felt unsafe. I wouldn't take it out in the roughest waters on the lake but then again I've seen 28' "go fast" boats turn back when it's super rough. As long as it's not windy you should be fine on the lake.

Be aware though, the comfortable cruising speed is somewhere around the mid/high 20's, maybe thirty if you don't mind the extra fuel and wear and tear on the motor. Going from Needles down to Havasu and back can kill most of the day. It's a comfortable cruise, just takes out a good chunk of the day.

We only boat in Havasu year-round in our 23 LSV. When the water gets rough, we try filling the center ballast. On bad days (wind, crowds, big boats) we still get beat up a bit. We slow down and the ride is only OK. I have to say our friend's RZ4 has a slightly better rough water ride.

We only boat in Havasu year-round in our 23 LSV. When the water gets rough, we try filling the center ballast. On bad days (wind, crowds, big boats) we still get beat up a bit. We slow down and the ride is only OK. I have to say our friend's RZ4 has a slightly better rough water ride.

How much better is the rz4 in rough water? I too boat in Havasu only and I am looking to get a new boat. Trying to decide between a malibu 247 or 23 lsv, a matercraft x-45, and the RZ4.

I am totally confused on which one to get. Then I have all my friends telling me to get a cat style boat for handling the chop, but then I lose the water sports aspect of the boat.

Any help would be appreciated.

What others have said here. When our lake gets windy and rough we just don't go out on the water. Unless you have a really big boat it's just not that much fun. I'd rather save the gas for a calmer day. If you want to do all the water sports get a v drive or a DD.

Never surf behind an I/O. Yikes.

Here is my take. The BU's you have listed are great at those sports and was designed to excel in those areas. Plus these boats give you the tools you need to make it extremely fun like built in ballasts, wedges, towers, cruise control, superior wake design, etc, etc. But BU's are not first in class on cruising but do a good job. So you will have to expect to give a little in rough water for the advantage of having a superior wakeboard boat. Our neighbor has the 23LSV and it takes a pretty good beating in rough water. Our VLX is even worse and why we do not go out when really rough water.

I will say that we had a 2000 23' Cobalt and a 1998 21' Chaparral which handled a ton better in rough water than any BU I've been on, but could not even come close to being the wakeboard boat of a BU. I'd never go back to an I/O for me personally but I do not enjoy the BU in rough water.

On our lake you'll find many people have two boats for this very reason.

I have a 247LSV - it handles Havasu without a problem but it does get very rough - most of the time. It's difficult to find a great place to wakeboard there as well as the coves do get crowded as well. One thing to remember about Havasu right now - there are thousands of dead carp everywhere. I'm moving to Mead and Naci this year because of the dead fish.

Edited by SkaneLA
I have a 247LSV - it handles Havasu without a problem but it does get very rough - most of the time. It's difficult to find a great place to wakeboard there as well as the coves do get crowded as well. One thing to remember about Havasu right now - there are thousands of dead carp everywhere. I'm moving to Mead and Naci this year because of the dead fish.

I was looking at satellite pics of Havasu, holy cow! There are a ton of marinas/docks and lodging. I can only imagine on popular weekends what a zoo it would be.

I have a 2004 23 LSV...it is definitely not built for Havasu on a Saturday/Sunday...great boat for Havasu the rest of the week....You will get beat up in Thompson bay or north of the Channel (big part of the lake) on most weekend afternoons...I mean jarred to where things come loose. The boat was not built for that...I have had 23' Eliminator i/o, Schiada 22 v-drive and a couple of bigger cats...the 23 and 22 handle the water much better then the 23 LSV...it is not the tool for the job.

North of Havasu the river will be a little better...but with the building/expansion up at Moabi it has really brought the channel crowds north so the river up there gets kicked up as well.

We boat mainly on the Parker strip cause our place is there....and it is rough on Saturdays so you go slow and try to quarter the wakes as much as possible...otherwise, fill it and crash through them....

But I have been through so many boats of other sorts and would not have another then the LSV...the LSV has outlived 4 other boats in the stable cause it is the best handling and most functional but there is no perfect tool out there so you have to give in some areas....stay away from big open rough places and you will be fine..

I am looking to go to the 24 with bigger deeper hull next year...I don't expect it to be a rough water boat but it will probably do a little better the 04 23LSV with smaller lower freeboard....If you are stuck on Havi...go test drive the 24LSV and the X45 at a dealer that can take you to a lake near by that gets wind in the afternoon to get the feel of chop in a bigger lake.

I have yet to have ours in anything more than some white caps and heavy boat traffic.

Last year on Labor day we got stuck in a NASTY 20 mile ride back from the sand bar at Vantage WA. I still had a 22 1/2 crwonline and it was OK :unsure: but the other three boats I was with all had BUs. 21 VLX, 20 VLX and a 247, and they all made it(everyone was wet but safe) and I think they even fared better than I did. The bows sit so high out of the water with a little weight. I was letting the 247 brake the water for me and we were running about 40 mph to smooth things out.

By Nasty I mean 35+++++ MPH wind and caps that would swamp the boat at idle!

Moral of the story, don't sweat it....... When in doubt just add some ballast and get everyone in the back! Clap.gif

Just me two cents....

I have not been in an X45 but have to say Tige in my opinion builds the best rough water riding inboard. It would be worth looking at if cruising, surfing, and skating are your MAIN uses. Depending on how hard core of a rider you are depends on how much your sacrificing with wake. I think properly weighted the RZ can put out a great advanced wake they are known for a really nice surf wake as well. Since I live on a smaller lake and pretty much only board I lean toward the Malibu product. Our local dealer sells both brands. I do like how honest and open people this board have been. Good luck enjoy the search.

I have yet to have ours in anything more than some white caps and heavy boat traffic.

Last year on Labor day we got stuck in a NASTY 20 mile ride back from the sand bar at Vantage WA. I still had a 22 1/2 crwonline and it was OK :unsure: but the other three boats I was with all had BUs. 21 VLX, 20 VLX and a 247, and they all made it(everyone was wet but safe) and I think they even fared better than I did. The bows sit so high out of the water with a little weight. I was letting the 247 brake the water for me and we were running about 40 mph to smooth things out.

By Nasty I mean 35+++++ MPH wind and caps that would swamp the boat at idle!

Moral of the story, don't sweat it....... When in doubt just add some ballast and get everyone in the back! Clap.gif

Just me two cents....

i have a 247 and we're at havasu all the time. i have no problems with chop, that's why i bought the boat. as someone mentioned, if it's pretty bad, i just fill the center tank and plow right threw it with no worries.

i have a 247 and we're at havasu all the time. i have no problems with chop, that's why i bought the boat. as someone mentioned, if it's pretty bad, i just fill the center tank and plow right threw it with no worries.

Depending on how often you are out there...I would be interested in going for a ride in the afternoon on Havasu on your 24'...we have place just south of the dam on the az side so getting to the Springs or Lake Havasu City to see how the ride is would not be a problem...I am out there every other weekend.....and really want to see how a 24' feels in Havasu chop.

Edited by mbrown2

How much better is the rz4 in rough water? I too boat in Havasu only and I am looking to get a new boat. Trying to decide between a malibu 247 or 23 lsv, a matercraft x-45, and the RZ4.

I am totally confused on which one to get. Then I have all my friends telling me to get a cat style boat for handling the chop, but then I lose the water sports aspect of the boat.

Any help would be appreciated.

We just got back from the July 4th weekend in Havasu. Plenty of wind and a big crowd. On the way back from Steamboat one afternoon my son commented that our boat "rides like a champ". As for the Tige, I believe that there is just a little less "bounce" to the ride in choppy water.

But the LSV interior is much nicer than the Tige. Tige interior looks "older". By that I mean old-style switches, caps on screw heads, hard plastic dash instead of upholstered, etc. Even our friend that has a Tige has commented on how nice the Malibu interior is.

FWIW I don't the think the slight difference in ride would be enough reason to buy a Tige, the LSV offers a lot more.

P.S. if you get a cat style boat, go Conquest. BEST boat I have ever been in on the Havasu chop. :)

I have been looking at buying a Tige RZ4, Mastercraft X-45, or a Malibu 23 LSV.

Took the wifey with me to look at all 3. She hated the Tige, said it look cheap on the interior, and the "paint" looked like a teenager did it.

Thought the Mastercraft was ok, seats were harder then concrete. And since no one in our family likes the bow it was a big waste of space.

loved the 23 lsv. Everything about it. And I can get a foot smaller boat and in imho seat more people.

So I am ordering the 2010 23 LSV

I have been looking at buying a Tige RZ4, Mastercraft X-45, or a Malibu 23 LSV.

Took the wifey with me to look at all 3. She hated the Tige, said it look cheap on the interior, and the "paint" looked like a teenager did it.

Thought the Mastercraft was ok, seats were harder then concrete. And since no one in our family likes the bow it was a big waste of space.

loved the 23 lsv. Everything about it. And I can get a foot smaller boat and in imho seat more people.

So I am ordering the 2010 23 LSV

Clap.gif

Congrats! You'll love it.....

Depending on how often you are out there...I would be interested in going for a ride in the afternoon on Havasu on your 24'...we have place just south of the dam on the az side so getting to the Springs or Lake Havasu City to see how the ride is would not be a problem...I am out there every other weekend.....and really want to see how a 24' feels in Havasu chop.

i was going out every other weekend as well, however my wife and I just had our first child in June so the river trips are on hold for the time being. we've been told high heat and newborns dont mix well, so its local lakes for now.

no problem on a ride, we launch out of the marina and head down to the springs to ride and then get breakfast at the marina there. we will be there in sept for sure.

I had a Toyota ski boat for ten years and I have to say that the Malibu is much much better in rough water - I attribute this to the broader beam and much more weight. OTOH I think the Yota would out accelerate the Bu out of hole; again a function of the lower weight and narrower cut.

Ub

Edited by UberXY