Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water coming out of intake

I had the boat out all day Saturday and it ran great. When we pulled it out of the water I noticed that a lot of water was coming out from under the boat. This was strange because I had not pulled any of the plugs. I looked under there and saw that it was coming out of the water intake on the bottom of the hull. I have only had this boat for a year but we have been out quite a bit and I never remember water coming out of there. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and is it something that I need to be worried about? I don't know if this matters but the boat is a 2002 vlx with hammerhead engine. Thanks in advance I love this forum it has been tons of help.

Normally the impeller in the raw water pump blocks water from spilling out the intake. If a few (or maybe even one) fins are missing, that blocking action will not be there if the missing fins end up between the intake hose and the outlet hose of the pump. Gravity would start the flow, then a siphoning action would keep it going. So, take a look at your impeller. If fins are missing, look for them in the tranny cooler.

Normally the impeller in the raw water pump blocks water from spilling out the intake. If a few (or maybe even one) fins are missing, that blocking action will not be there if the missing fins end up between the intake hose and the outlet hose of the pump. Gravity would start the flow, then a siphoning action would keep it going. So, take a look at your impeller. If fins are missing, look for them in the tranny cooler.

This is kind of a joke, but not really, I've heard of and done stupider things myself. If you find the missing fins, throw them away and get a new impeller!!!!