Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Lock

tj_in_kc

Do you have a trailer lock for your Extreme trailer?

Wondering if anyone can show me what this looks like or where to order one, since its not the typical bunny ears thing on the boat trailer tongue...

Edited by tj_in_kc
Here's what I use - works great - heavy duty - no way to get it open without the key. Price was around $35

I have that one Myself.

And on long weekends at the lake with the trailer unhooked and parked in the impound area I put the tongue in my trucks tool box.

I have the swing tongue as well and pull the swing pin and put one of those long U shaped bicycle locks through where the pin would go (with the swing open).

I lock the ball mount to the receiver, put a lock through the trailer tongue to keep it locked on the ball, and put a small lock through the bottom of the swing pin to keep it from walking off. If I disconnect the trailer, I put the lock with the latch closed so you can't fit it over (at least the correct size 2") ball. I like BAJ's idea though, to open the tongue and lock the safety chains around the trailer if I need to unhook the trailer.

Edit - then I would lock the pin back in while the tongue was open, so even if you unbolted/cut the safety chains, you would not be able to close the open tongue.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
I lock the ball mount to the receiver, put a lock through the trailer tongue to keep it locked on the ball, and put a small lock through the bottom of the swing pin to keep it from walking off. If I disconnect the trailer, I put the lock with the latch closed so you can't fit it over (at least the correct size 2") ball. I like BAJ's idea though, to open the tongue and lock the safety chains around the trailer if I need to unhook the trailer.

Edit - then I would lock the pin back in while the tongue was open, so even if you unbolted/cut the safety chains, you would not be able to close the open tongue.

Exactly. I don't think it's fool proof. But just enough of a deterrent that they would have to cut the cable & lock to do much with it. Plus I take the pin away so they would still have to replace that to be able to tow it.

We use the stock pin lock but then again our trailer doesn't really stay unattended, I guess if it was to sit out for days at a time the lock mparcel mentioned would be a good choice.

I have this installed on the coupler at all times. I've seen a shroud type lock for the UFP actuators but, can't seem to find it right now.

thanks for the help guys. I didn't even think about pulling the pin and putting that part in the truck. My boat spends 99% of its life on the lift, but i'm trailering it this weekend and have to unhook it and leave it in a lot for a couple hours. didn't want someone driving off with the whole thing!