Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering

I am replacing the steering cable in my 96 Response. It has a Morse rotary helm. Do I have to replace the cable and the sheathing or can I leave the sheathing in place and pull the spiral cable through the existing sheathing. I have the replacement sheathing and cable in hand. All of the posts addressing this imply that the sheathing and the cable have to be replaced but the stiffness of the sheathing makes this seem impossible, especially the bends from under the floor to the helm. Also there is about three to four inches of play in the steering wheel. Will this be resolved by a new cable or should I plan on buying a replacement helm (assuming they are still available)?

You replace the whole thing.

As far as the play goes, it's hard to say without seeing it in person, but I'm guessing that that has to do with something in the steering column itself. I'd get the cable replaced, then tackle the column.

• 8 years later...

Hi - I noticed that my 1996 Response is having the same problem.  Very stiff steering.  Did this end up being a really difficult job - replacing the rotary assembly?  I really don't want to trailer the boat to the local marina.

22 hours ago, Baldwin1088 said:

Hi - I noticed that my 1996 Response is having the same problem.  Very stiff steering.  Did this end up being a really difficult job - replacing the rotary assembly?  I really don't want to trailer the boat to the local marina.

Neither is hard, but replacing the cable is more time consuming than replacing the helm.  Replacing the cable should take care of the stiff steering (if you have ruled out a binding rudder).  In my case, looseness was related to the helm itself.  I just paid $118 shipped for a new helm for my '03.  Got rid of all the play.  Very easy to do.