Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hard starting motor

I have a 1991 f3 with the chevy 350 and the motor starts very hard. I mean you have to cranks it forever and then all of a sudden it just fires right up but once running it runs like it is brand new , I mean when running it is so smooth that you can barely here it run. I don't have any idea what it could be

thanks

carb? If so, are mounting nuts tight? With air filter or spark arrestor removed, work throttle linkage. Is accelerator pump shooting stream of fuel each time throttle is advanced? If it is cool out when attempting to start, is choke closed?

the mounting bolts are tight and when working throttle I can hear gas being shot into carb when I look I can see it going into carb just won't fire right of the bat take probally 20-30 sec of cranking

My guess is poor spark. Perhaps voltage at coil is getting too low during cranking ? Or dud coil. Try new plugs, cleaning up coil mounting, new coil, plusg leads etc.

When I got home today I used some starting fluid and fired right up so on that would you guys think its either fuel filter or carb needs rebuilt. I have a quadrajet , is that common for my boat....

When I got home today I used some starting fluid and fired right up so on that would you guys think its either fuel filter or carb needs rebuilt. I have a quadrajet , is that common for my boat....

Yes I believe the quad is stock for your boat. I work on motors all the time and 99.9% of the time it is not the carb.

I would stay away from the starter fluid, not good for the motor.

Check to see that your choke is working (flap should be closed cold).

If your choke is working then it could be your starting procedures.

My carb 1997 5.7 has a starting procedure from cold described in the owners manual. I believe your boat has the same.

Push fast idle button in and throttle 1/4 forward then hit the key.

I always give the throttle a couple full strokes when cold.

Be ready to pull the throttle back to idle when it fires, do not want to run to many RPMs cold.

Edited by awilco