Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

starbrite marine polish question

So, after reading many posts about wax, polish etc., I am going to give starbrite marine polish w/teflon a try on our Vride. Just took care of some hard water spots with Babe's Spot remover and overall gelcoat condition is good. Now ready for next step. Looking for clarification on whether you need to apply a true 'wax' after using the starbrite polish. The reviews and write ups of the startbrite indicate it is a polish and protectant so looking for opinions. Thanks.

If you have a gelcoat that is in good or as new condition:

I use a product called ICE by Turtlewax. It is very quick and easy to use and I use it on my 1991 garage queen. My boat looks brand new and shines in the sun as it did today among several new $60k boats.

The main advantage is that it takes HALF (no exaggeration) the time and effort. It is a protectant not a polish. So if you have a boat that is already in good shape you can use ICE. It is so quick to use that I'll put it on the boat after every second time out just because I love having the classic boat at the Sundance course that looks better than most of the 4 year olds. It really gives a "POP" to the shine.

Works great on cars of course, I use it on our Porsche, Mercedes, and Duramax about every 3-4 weeks to keep them looking "show & shine" new.

Starbrite Marine polish works great. Very easy on and very easy off. Super slick when done and lasts a long time. It has UV inhibitors which is important to keep gelcoat looking good in the sun.

So, you do or don't apply a wax afterwards?

No, it is not necessary to apply wax after using Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF.

Exactomundo!

If you have a gelcoat that is in good or as new condition:

I use a product called ICE by Turtlewax. It is very quick and easy to use and I use it on my 1991 garage queen. My boat looks brand new and shines in the sun as it did today among several new $60k boats.

The main advantage is that it takes HALF (no exaggeration) the time and effort. It is a protectant not a polish. So if you have a boat that is already in good shape you can use ICE. It is so quick to use that I'll put it on the boat after every second time out just because I love having the classic boat at the Sundance course that looks better than most of the 4 year olds. It really gives a "POP" to the shine.

Works great on cars of course, I use it on our Porsche, Mercedes, and Duramax about every 3-4 weeks to keep them looking "show & shine" new.

I used the ice last year and this year I stripped down the boat and applied 303 then Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF and the difference is night and day not for looks but for keeping the water spots and grime off. I only need a simple wipe down a the ramp and everything slides right off with the starbrite versus the ice as it wouldn't wipe down near as easy and it caused me to scub out the water spots every 2 weeks or so. I am 5 weeks into our season and it looks at though it was polished yesterday.