Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to Trade ???

Dave K

My son and I have a GEORGEOUS 99 sunsetter VDrive with under 300 hrs. We are happy with the boat but we are thinking we would like to step up a couple of years newer but also step up in size. I know some will question my thinking, but I am once again coming to the board and asking for your opinion.

Your thoughts on pros and cons would be appreciated

Heres what were thinking off:

02 Malibu Wakesetter XTi 23' D-Drive Ski/Wakebord,Xnice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...tegoryProximity

I bet you would find that your VDrive has as much useable space as the XTi. With any DD you lose space in the middle of the boat. You will gain better handling with the DD. 300hrs isn't that much on your boat. Sounds like its in great shape. I am thinking unless you found exactly what you wanted for a steal, I would hold on to the rig you have.

Thanks,

This other boat is a 23' and it sure looks like theres alot of room. I'm thinking this other boat would be more conducive to wakeboarding? It's hard to decide as I don't know too much about other models.

I'm thinking this other boat would be more conducive to wakeboarding?

No.gif V-Drives excel for wakesports. The XTI's were an attempt at a "one boat that does it all" type proposition but you end up with a boat that does everything OK but doesn't do anything really well. If you're into wakesports...stick with a V-Drive. If you're ready for a man's sport...get a direct drive and a skinny stick. Thumbup.gif

:::runs from room to go put on flame suit::: Biggrin.gif

:lol:

Good topic! I am in the same boat. With all the news about bad times it's hard to pull the trigger. What is the right cross-over boat? With two skiers and two boarders what is right boat? Is this a good time to take on another payment? The list goes on. I will follow the topic and see what wisdom the Crew brings. Yesterday on the way out headquarters said "look theres a new Malibu delership". My reaction was "what exit was that". On the way home headquarters said "do they take trade-ins?". Is that a green light or is she testing me?. Good thing you can see the lot from the freeway!

I wouldn't trade your sunsetter for a 23 footer, but would take a look at a 06+ VLX. DaveK also remember your sunsetter produces a great wakeboarding wake and takes much less weight to do it.

I have heard nothing but good things about the VTX being a great crossover boat.

Edited by johnsvt

I personally would not trade either.

The best toys are the ones you've had for a long time. You already know what the gremlins are in your current boat and how to fix them. The newer boat wish is just the "mistress syndrome".

I have a gorgeous garage queen 1991 boat. No way I can get the money for it for what it is worth to me.

Frequently I regret selling my 1999 Carrera to get my 2006 Carrera 4S convertible that I now have. My current car was the epitome vehicle but truthfully I had as much fun with my 1999 coupe and the new car cost me 3 times what I got for the old. I am afraid to take the new expensive car to the track and therefore it is less usable in that way. I now rationalize that decision by convincing myself that I will have the 2006 for the rest of my life.

Same reasoning with my low mileage 2002 Duramax and my 2002 travel trailer. I can not replace them for the same cost I can sell them for. Even though they are old garage queens I am not afraid to take them over a gravel road into the Ochoco National Forest and I do.

Reality Check: What am I gaining by trading ?

More importantly what am I losing ?

Edited by DONTW8
I personally would not trade either.

The best toys are the ones you've had for a long time. You already know what the gremlins are in your current boat and how to fix them. The newer boat wish is just the "mistress syndrome".

I have a gorgeous garage queen 1991 boat. No way I can get the money for it for what it is worth to me.

Frequently I regret selling my 1999 Carrera to get my 2006 Carrera 4S convertible that I now have. My current car was the epitome vehicle but truthfully I had as much fun with my 1999 coupe and the new car cost me 3 times what I got for the old. I am afraid to take the new expensive car to the track and therefore it is less usable in that way. I now rationalize that decision by convincing myself that I will have the 2006 for the rest of my life.

Same reasoning with my low mileage 2002 Duramax and my 2002 travel trailer. I can not replace them for the same cost I can sell them for. Even though they are old garage queens I am not afraid to take them over a gravel road into the Ochoco National Forest and I do.

Reality Check: What am I gaining by trading ?

More importantly what am I losing ?

Plus1.gif I couldn't have said it better myself. You know what you have with your Sunsetter and who knows with the new "used" boat. If it fills your needs I wouldn't trade either.

My son and I have a GEORGEOUS 99 sunsetter VDrive with under 300 hrs. We are happy with the boat but we are thinking we would like to step up a couple of years newer but also step up in size. I know some will question my thinking, but I am once again coming to the board and asking for your opinion.

Your thoughts on pros and cons would be appreciated

Heres what were thinking off:

02 Malibu Wakesetter XTi 23' D-Drive Ski/Wakebord,Xnice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...tegoryProximity

What would be your reason behind changing boats? I don't call that an upgrade unless you're doing a lot of slalom behind your vdrive.

I'm thinking this other boat would be more conducive to wakeboarding?

No.gif V-Drives excel for wakesports. The XTI's were an attempt at a "one boat that does it all" type proposition but you end up with a boat that does everything OK but doesn't do anything really well. If you're into wakesports...stick with a V-Drive. If you're ready for a man's sport...get a direct drive and a skinny stick. Thumbup.gif

:::runs from room to go put on flame suit::: Biggrin.gif

:lol:

Agree with that statement completely.

Good topic! I am in the same boat. With all the news about bad times it's hard to pull the trigger. What is the right cross-over boat? With two skiers and two boarders what is right boat? Is this a good time to take on another payment? The list goes on. I will follow the topic and see what wisdom the Crew brings. Yesterday on the way out headquarters said "look theres a new Malibu delership". My reaction was "what exit was that". On the way home headquarters said "do they take trade-ins?". Is that a green light or is she testing me?. Good thing you can see the lot from the freeway!

Depending on your sport preferences:

~ '95+ Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakesetter DD/I-Ride (all on the same hull)

~'99-'04 Sunsetter LXi (not '05 or later though)

~ any 21' XTi up to '04

~ '01 Sunsetter VLX/'02-'04 Sunscape 21' LSV

~ VTX on cut diamond hull/20' Sunscape LSV

~ 20' Response FXi

Any of those would make a great crossover for you.

Our boat is good and I have no problems really, we were just thinking maybe having a bigger boat for more room and looking at something a couple of years newer.

Ulitmately in a year or two we would like to get into a new 23 wakesetter or something of similar size and vintage

Man this is a tough decision

Our boat is good and I have no problems really, we were just thinking maybe having a bigger boat for more room and looking at something a couple of years newer.

Ulitmately in a year or two we would like to get into a new 23 wakesetter or something of similar size and vintage

Man this is a tough decision

If you want more room & don't want to sacrifice anything in the way of performance (either behind the wheel or behind the boat), you need to be looking at an '05+ VLX or an '04+ 23' LSV. Anything prior to that really doesn't buy you that much more than what you have now & you'll be giving up some things in terms of performance. JMO.

If you're happy with your boat but want something a bit newer, you could look at an '02+ VLX. Wrap-around seating, newer dash, etc....that might be a nice tradeoff. If you can stretch to an '04, you get the Gorilla Fins which makes a nice difference in the handling of the boat.

Boy the more I read the posts the more I figure maybe I should keep our sunsetter. I do however like to idea of more room .

And I dont want to turen to the dark side..................(Master what ever)

Edited by Dave K

My opinion.....there's no reason to come out of a perfectly good boat unless it's a substantial upgrade in 1 area & you're not giving up much (ideally nothing) in other areas that are important to you. Keep in mind, almost none of these things have anything to do with how much fun you have on the water. :)

If you've got the itch for something new, why not add something or change something on the current boat? Sometimes doing things like that can just as effectively scratch that itch.

Is a 2001 Malibu Sunscape 23 LSV basically a cruise around in boat. Not really designed for wakeboarding??

I don't know that I'd say that, but it wasn't designed for it in the way that your Sunsetter was. It will ride better in rough water & have more room, but in comparison with your Sunsetter 2 things will be detrimental to its performance: 1) it's on the diamond hull (all 23' boats prior to 2004 were on the diamond hull) - that will affect the wakeboarding wake and (possibly even more so) the surfing wake; & 2) a 23' boat will take more weight to get the same results that you get from a 21' boat. In addition, that specific hull had difficulties with the Perfect Pass paddlewheel - so much so that PP manufactured a different paddlewheel just for that hull. Not really an issue with the innovation of Stargazer, but if it's already got PP just be aware of that potential issue.

With the boat that you're coming from, (particularly since you're happy with what you've got) demo demo demo.

Doesn't my 99 sunsetter have a diamond hull, or was it manufacturered with different hulls

Thanks for all the info everyone. There is so much to know.

I asked about the sunscape, so could you educate me on this boat?

2000 MALIBU 23 FOOT ESCAPE LSV WAKESETTER

Thank you

It's the same basic hull. All 23' boats built prior to 2004, regardless of moniker (whether it's a Wakesetter, Escape, Sunscape) are all on the same 23' diamond hull. If you want a 23' boat that performs as well as yours, you should be looking at a 2004 Wakesetter LSV.

I sure wished there was an excel spreadsheet on the ins and outs on the hulls, names, and years. Thanks you have been a huge help !!

I don't know that I'd say that, but it wasn't designed for it in the way that your Sunsetter was. It will ride better in rough water & have more room, but in comparison with your Sunsetter 2 things will be detrimental to its performance: 1) it's on the diamond hull (all 23' boats prior to 2004 were on the diamond hull) - that will affect the wakeboarding wake and (possibly even more so) the surfing wake; & 2) a 23' boat will take more weight to get the same results that you get from a 21' boat. In addition, that specific hull had difficulties with the Perfect Pass paddlewheel - so much so that PP manufactured a different paddlewheel just for that hull. Not really an issue with the innovation of Stargazer, but if it's already got PP just be aware of that potential issue.

With the boat that you're coming from, (particularly since you're happy with what you've got) demo demo demo.

I agreee w/ the above statement in bold. It takes alot more weight/people in my WS 23LSV w/ the wedge down to produce the same wake as my friends WS VLX w/ just a few people and stock ballast (without the wedge).