Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake surfing

arsenuts411

I was just wondering if there is something that I am doing wrong been getting into wake surfing recently on those choopy days on the water and I can't seem to keep my momentum on the wake to let go of the rope. The boat is a direct drive does this have anything to do with it? i had 3 people sitting in the back on the side that I surf on. Is that not enough weight? Any suggestions?

I was just wondering if there is something that I am doing wrong been getting into wake surfing recently on those choopy days on the water and I can't seem to keep my momentum on the wake to let go of the rope. The boat is a direct drive does this have anything to do with it? i had 3 people sitting in the back on the side that I surf on. Is that not enough weight? Any suggestions?

yes add at least two thousand pounds of ballast in addition to factory ballast.

I've seen guys doing it in boats that are direct drives, don't know that you need two thousand pounds, just keep adding some weight and try out different combinations, and definately use your wedge

I heard a tip on here to figure out the weight that you need: bring some plastic garbage cans on board and fill them up before you start buying sacs. Although I'm sure you will need at least 2 750's and don't forget the pump.

What is the best pmp to use? I have a tsunami for my 750 lb. sac. It seems to take a while to fill.

That's about it. Unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

You need more weight than that, our is also a DD and I load it up with about 1200-1400lbs on one side depending on how many people we have in the boat and I need more :)

I have a direct drive and surfed all weekend and was able to drop the rope. I just filled up my one factory ballast tank, put the wedge down and had 4 people plus the driver in the boat. More weight will definitely make it easier though.

Remember that it's different than wakeboarding in that you have to put a lot more weight no your front foot. It's more like actual surfing (go figure) and snowboarding in that your front foot is your "gas pedal" so it may feel funny but put about 70% of your weight on your front foot. Rockon.gif