Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing and other watersports poll

malibudog

Wakesurfing and other watersports poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about wake surfing?

• Have not tried it and will not try it
    • Have not tried it, but will try it if I get the chance (who will give me a pull?)
    • Have tried it and will not do it again
    • Have tried it and it was ok (will do it if there is nothing else to do, or the lake is too rough to do anything else)
    • Have tried it and really liked it, want to do it more
    • I love it and can't get enough, do it all the time
  2. 2. Which of the following sports activities account for more than 30% of the time people spend behind your boat?

• waterskiing
    • barefooting
    • wakeboarding
    • wakesurfing
    • air chair/ ski ski
    • tubing
    • kneeboarding
    • wakeskating

Interested in what people are doing behind their bu's (searched topics, but didn't find a poll on this in the last couple years), and how many people are surfing. I grew up skiing and tubing. Tried kneeboarding and it didn't hook me. Wakeboarded for a while, but I am too much of a wimp to get good at it. Never learned to barefoot, but have nothing but respect for those who can. Sky ski looks like it would be a blast, but looks like it could kill you too. Now, I am really hooked on the surfing thing. Behind our boat right now, its probably 70% surfing, 15% wakeboarding, 5% wakeskating, 5% skiing, 3% tubing and 2% barefooting, and I don't do the last two.

Edited by malibudog
Need to allow multiple reponses to the last question or just ask for the most done behind the boat.

Just edited. Thought I had checked that. Sorry.

Preliminary numbers look like people enjoy Wakesurfing more than any other sport. I enjoy it cause I can do it all day without getting tired. The progression has been pretty fast too. I'm a skier by roots, but have been branching out recently (boarding and surfing). Coach Mike has tried to take me out footing recently but the water was too choppy. Hopefully soon Thumbup.gif

I voted for wakesurfing for that reason. You can go all day, most of the other sports you can't say that about with 1 possible exception - Sky Ski. I could ride that for an hour or more at a time without difficulty, & it was great fun. I'll be setting up our next boat for surfing, but I'm seriously thinking about buying another foil next time. I'm not sure what it was about our last foil, but I couldn't ride the thing neutrally, I had to be so far forward on the seat & leaned forward a bit to keep it down. After riding Pete's last summer, I had no trouble riding it sitting straight up in the middle of the seat & it reminded me of how much I enjoyed it when things were right. So my vote may change depending on what we buy with the next boat.

I voted for wakesurfing for that reason. You can go all day, most of the other sports you can't say that about with 1 possible exception - Sky Ski. I could ride that for an hour or more at a time without difficulty, & it was great fun. I'll be setting up our next boat for surfing, but I'm seriously thinking about buying another foil next time. I'm not sure what it was about our last foil, but I couldn't ride the thing neutrally, I had to be so far forward on the seat & leaned forward a bit to keep it down. After riding Pete's last summer, I had no trouble riding it sitting straight up in the middle of the seat & it reminded me of how much I enjoyed it when things were right. So my vote may change depending on what we buy with the next boat.

I had the same trouble until I figured out that I had mounted the seat backwards! That little bit of asymmetry caused us to lean way forward to balance the Skyski. As soon as I remounted it in the right orientation, the foil was easy, relaxed and way more enjoyable!

Let me know when your in the market. I'll make sure your setup right.

I had the same trouble until I figured out that I had mounted the seat backwards! That little bit of asymmetry caused us to lean way forward to balance the Skyski. As soon as I remounted it in the right orientation, the foil was easy, relaxed and way more enjoyable!

Very interesting. I didn't even know that was possible.

Let me know when your in the market. I'll make sure your setup right.

Thanks Bill, will do.

martinarcher

I bet we wakeboard 50% of the time, slalom ski 20%, surf 15%, kneeboard 10%, and barefoot 5%.

The surfing is certainly gaining......we went ropeless tonight! I rode a really long time without the rope and man was it fun! I can certainly see surfing more. Everyone who has tried has gotten right up on the surf board and had a blast!

With that said, wakeboarding and slalom skiing take the cake on time spent. Our crew likes a challenge and effort it takes to get good on a wakeboard or ski!

I enjoy it cause I can do it all day without getting tired.

:unsure: Where's the challenge in that? Try real surfing someday... Thumbup.gif ...soooo much better than wakesurfing. Yes.gif

With that said, wakeboarding and slalom skiing take the cake on time spent. Our crew likes a challenge and effort it takes to get good on a wakeboard or ski!

Thumbup.gifPlus1.gif

Slalom is by far my fave (ran 28 off / 34 mph on Monday / new PB) but took my boys wakeboarding last night after work and threw some toeside W2W 180's... Biggrin.gif First time. If something is easy and anyone can do it...why bother. Our private lake banned surfing because of the big wakes...now if I could just get them to ban tubes. Clap.gif

Glad you like real surfing: "Try real surfing someday... Thumbup.gif ...soooo much better than wakesurfing. Yes.gif"

Different sports, different things to like. For my tastes, ocean surfing's got a lot of drawbacks: a lot of paddling, too much slamming into the bottom/coral, too hard to access, too hard to find good waves when you do access it, takes too much time, for only a few short rushes of excitement (cool as they are). Different sports. Kind of like saying speed skiing at 100+ mile per hour or barefooting is "sooo much better than slalom" - - they are just different.

What I am not sure I get is the revelling about "they banned wake surfing" at my lake. I am sure that is not the "elitist" attitude that I keep hearing that some skiiers have. I would never want them to ban waterskiing at my lake, even though I hardly ever do it, and even though I regularly leave areas of the lake where I find waterskiiers, and have to take the time to go elsewhere so my wakeboarding, surfing or tubing wake doesn't bother them.

If you were bothered by wakesurfers, shame on them - - you need more considerate wake surfers. There are jerks in every sport. Just cause I don't do what you do behind your boat, I don't want you banned from my lake. In fact, it sounds like you are a very accomplished skiier, and I think there are few things as cool/graceful as watching someone who really knows how to ski do so.

So all I am asking for is a little slack. It's easy to get up wakesurfing, and I was worried there would be no challenges when I first tried it. However, after a year of doing it, my opinion is that it is far from an easy sport. I can do the basic stuff, but it will take me years to get to anything close to an expert level.

:)

What I am not sure I get is the revelling about "they banned wake surfing" at my lake. I am sure that is not the "elitist" attitude that I keep hearing that some skiiers have...If you were bothered by wakesurfers, shame on them...

330 acre lake. Wakesurf wakes were destroying the shoreline not to mention the beaches at the community's parks. And to be brutally honest, some of it probably is "elitist" in nature (I know, shame on me). I miss the days before the watersports boom. When I could go out on a week-end and get glass. The wake sports are so much easier that it brought a lot of newbies out onto the lakes, too many of which are completely lacking in anything even resembling common courtesy and/or they don't have a clue when it comes to boating "etiquette". [/rant] :unsure:

As to the comparison of wakesurfing to real surfing...I grew up surfing, I have done both. They are much more similar than your other comparisons. Wakesurfing is kind of like surfing the "tourist waves" at Redondo Beach...yes, it'll move the board but the wave won't support any "power moves". And the physicality of paddling out against a good break is how you "pay your dues" for the ride in. Yes.gif

When they come out with a boat that will put out a wave with a 10' face... Shocking.gif ...they'll have my attention. :lol:

Peace. Surfing.gif

Slalom skiing what else. If you are not beat mussels aching was it Worth the time? Keeps me in shape. Well I need to do a little more skiing.

After a good ski we will often just float and listen to some tunes.

75% of the times we go out we wakeboard 50% of the time, 25% of the other times we go out we will tube or kneeboard 25% of the time. Then remaining % of the time we're out we're working out and doing 12oz curls 100% of the time Crazy.gif !!!!!

(we wakeboard mostly and drink beer)

I would have made "drink beer" one of the options on the poll, but I was too buzzed when I drafted the questions. Beer.gif

Got to surf for the first time last year on a well ballested v-drive. What a blast! Great option for thoes choppy afternoons but I don't think the little skier is up to the task.

martinarcher
Got to surf for the first time last year on a well ballested v-drive. What a blast! Great option for thoes choppy afternoons but I don't think the little skier is up to the task.

That's what I thought - it can be done my friend.....

Pics of our wave toward the bottom.....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=21273

We have been going ropeless on out Skier for a couple weeks now! It is a blast!!! Thumbup.gif

What I am not sure I get is the revelling about "they banned wake surfing" at my lake. I am sure that is not the "elitist" attitude that I keep hearing that some skiiers have...If you were bothered by wakesurfers, shame on them...

330 acre lake. Wakesurf wakes were destroying the shoreline not to mention the beaches at the community's parks. And to be brutally honest, some of it probably is "elitist" in nature (I know, shame on me). I miss the days before the watersports boom. When I could go out on a week-end and get glass. The wake sports are so much easier that it brought a lot of newbies out onto the lakes, too many of which are completely lacking in anything even resembling common courtesy and/or they don't have a clue when it comes to boating "etiquette". [/rant] :unsure:

As to the comparison of wakesurfing to real surfing...I grew up surfing, I have done both. They are much more similar than your other comparisons. Wakesurfing is kind of like surfing the "tourist waves" at Redondo Beach...yes, it'll move the board but the wave won't support any "power moves". And the physicality of paddling out against a good break is how you "pay your dues" for the ride in. Yes.gif

When they come out with a boat that will put out a wave with a 10' face... Shocking.gif ...they'll have my attention. :lol:

Peace. Surfing.gif

I much prefer real surfing. Keeps me in great physical condition. Wakesurfing...no real rush to it. I'll take a 10' and a good beating any day of the week over wakesurfing. Although, there are some guys with some pretty good moves behind a boat.

I am fairly new and way more interested in improving my wakeboarding......I will surf when I am to tired to wakeboard or if it is all chop.

Skiing is by far #1 for me and I think my son (7) is sliding towards the dark side. Daughter (9) is good at everything and could go either way still. That said, I love em all and they all have their place depending on water conditions. Just happy to be out there having fun with friends and family and playing behind the Bu. Thumbup.gif

Skiing is by far #1 for me and I think my son (7) is sliding towards the dark side. Daughter (9) is good at everything and could go either way still. That said, I love em all and they all have their place depending on water conditions. Just happy to be out there having fun with friends and family and playing behind the Bu. Thumbup.gif

Our neighbors on the water had that same argument with the kids. They were leaning towards wakeboarding for a while, but a simple solution was skiing first, wakeboarding second. They realized that if they wanted calm water, they had to ski.

We wakeboard in the mornings, until it's to choppy. Then we'll go in, have some food, go for a swim, then maybe early afternoon, we'll go out surfing since we want to be in the boat, but the water's too rough for anything else.