Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge pump

ride_everyday

Does any one know if the factory bilge pump on a 2001 WS VLX is automatic? I am pretty sure is the original pump, I can't see if it has 2 or 3 wires (wires are encased). The pump switch on that dash is single pole, not on-off-on like my older boat. If the pump has a float I would assume it connected hot all the time (witch is what I want). The pump look like an older white square Atwood.

Thanks!

Should be - it is on my '01 SLXi... Fill up your bilge with a hose & it should kick on.

The switch is for the over-ride/manual on. You should hear the pump running when you turn the switch on.

It's not unusual for there to be either debris in the float or corroded connections that prevent the float from working. If it doesn't come on you should replace the pump - after making sure the override starts emptying the water.

You should be able to remove the pump motor from the base pretty easily.

They don't make that exact pump anymore, so you can use the opportunity to upgrade to a 750 (typically the largest volume with 3/4" output) over the 500 that's in there now.

Mines automatic and it quit pumping water this week. It came on automatically on Sunday and never stopped running until I disconnected the battery. Looked at it last night and the motor runs, the impeller spins, but it doesn't pump water. Wish i could buy just the small plastic impeller. Got to get a new pump tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
Mines automatic and it quit pumping water this week. It came on automatically on Sunday and never stopped running until I disconnected the battery. Looked at it last night and the motor runs, the impeller spins, but it doesn't pump water. Wish i could buy just the small plastic impeller. Got to get a new pump tomorrow.

I am currently experiencing this exact problem. What does this mean? How can it be spinning but not pumping water out?

Edited by Ace18

They go out occasionally. Their very easy to replace. There is a plastic piece screwed down in the bilge. The pump rotates, unclicks & pulls up. Get the same pump & you should be good.

Used to the float switch & the pump were separate devices. I believe their all integrated now. So the only way I know of how to test it is like described above.... fill up the bilge till it kicks on.

actually the Attwood in my '00 response lx DOES have a way to test without filling it with water. reach around on the side and you can feel a small knob. when you rotate it, it is actually making the float "rise" to similate the water level rising.

a lot of times they will burn out because they get some crap stuck up in the float (like a small piece of wire casing, etc). also, sometimes dirt or something will get caught in the impellar, but the motor continues to try an spin.

Just replaced my bilge pump this last week with a larger 750 atwood pump. Now I'm looking for a small auto pump to put up in my front locker and plum it into my front bag discharge.