Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water tubing - durable tube please

wakeboarder3780

My dad has a cabin and likes to take everyone out tubing. Lots of the kids and grand kids like it. Unfortunately we have had crap for luck with tubes. We like to get the size where 2 adults can comfortably ride together. My dad has had to purchase a tube per year, we only go up to the cabin once or twice a season.

I'm really frustrated that someone could put a product out that is so shoddy. Wakeboard ballasts are made out of that valmax material that is basically impossible to puncture. Why don't tubes use it?

Anyways has anyone had a tube that is big and hasn't leaked for a good 5 years? He has tasked me with finding a durable one as I am the "computer research guy".

From overtons, it looks like the Obrien screamer series got good reviews which seem to include some talk about decent durability. Has anyone owned these? I would probably get the Ultra Screamer as it looks like it would comfortably fit 2 adults.

My dad's been beating on his H.O. Sports fully covered tube for 3 years now, and their lake is sooo choppy, it takes a beating. I used it with my friends before too, and we didn't pop it , wow.

You've got to get the fully covered ones, with no cut-outs.

Which ones have you guys popped? please do tell

We have had the same frustration in the past. Several years in a row, we bought at least one, sometimes two tubes, before the season was done. My family and I are on the water a lot (almost time for a 50hr oil change allready), unfortunatly our kids and my wife allways go back to the tube, so it gets a real workout. Last year before the season started we got an Obrien super screamer hoping for some durability and still haven't tore it or ripped a seam. I would class our family as abusive when it comes to edurance testing of such an item, so far the Obrien has held up great.

I hope there will come a day when our kids finally latch on to the more refined watersports full time, until then we keep slinging them on a tube regularly. Maybe the tube will finally pop and I'll just say they will have to ski 100% of the time, not likely soon.

Good luck

The last one we had last season was a blue HO if IIRC. The year before that I think was a red HO. Both are fully covered wing style tubes. I wouldn't say they popped they just have severe leaking issues. You could take it out for 7 mins of a ride but then have to pump it up again as it would be nearly flat. Frustrating as heck. The kirby vaccuum sure got a workout pumping it up over and over though ;)

I would class our family as abusive when it comes to edurance testing of such an item, so far the Obrien has held up great.

That sounds promising. The real deal is whether or not they start to leak though. We never tore anything except a super old tube. They always start to leak.

The thing I don't get is I wouldnt even classify us as abusive. Then again I can't even think of something that would be abusive to a tube. They should be able to take the beating of a lifetime IMO. You should be able to jump land roll crash and everything with them. All it has to do is hold air. Is it really that hard? (That being said we don't even do half of what is listed above with our tubes. Sometimes we try to jump the wake a little bit, but cmon it should be able to handle it.

And how about some warranties. Sure would be nice if ANYONE stood behind their product. If I buy a wakeboard or wakeboard bindings and something goes wrong I ship them in and get a brand new pair. That's what gear companies *should* be like.

This concludes todays rant

Edited by wakeboarder3780
wake boards and knee boards and wake surf boards are far more durable than tubes.

I'm saying that's exactly what the problem is. They make inflatable river rafts that can smash up against jagged rocks and not leak. I think for 200 dollars a tube they could make them better than lasting 5 days out on the water before leaking. Do they have to be river raft material? No, but there has to be a happy medium and this certainly isn't it.

wake boards and knee boards and wake surf boards are far more durable than tubes.

I'm saying that's exactly what the problem is. They make inflatable river rafts that can smash up against jagged rocks and not leak. I think for 200 dollars a tube they could make them better than lasting 5 days out on the water before leaking. Do they have to be river raft material? No, but there has to be a happy medium and this certainly isn't it.

I actually have one that is about 14 years old (bought new when he got his 1995 18' Searay :Doh:). It is fully covered and has defintely been "abused". My bro-in-law gave it to me so I don't know the model or if it's still even made. It's a single person tube also but maybe they make doubles. I'll try to get that info tonight if anyones interested.

I actually have one that is about 14 years old (bought new when he got his 1995 18' Searay :Doh:). It is fully covered and has defintely been "abused". My bro-in-law gave it to me so I don't know the model or if it's still even made. It's a single person tube also but maybe they make doubles. I'll try to get that info tonight if anyones interested.

We had a really old one that wasn't fully covered and that sucker lasted a long time too. If you want my opinion they are purposely making them crappier so people buy them more. This opinion is exactly why i refuse to even buy one. I love the sport of wakeboarding and I only buy gear once every 5 years. Why would anyone drop this amount of cash on stuff that burns out in one season or less?

*sigh*

Anyways I would be interested in knowing at least the company that made it. Model is even better but the company will get me started. Thanks!

The old one we had was either an HO or an Obrien, cant remember which. But I definitely know the HOs we have been buying these last two years suck hardcore. (read that last sentence again, rofl).

I've had water trampolines and tubes from SportStuff, they are fantastic. No questions asked on warranty issues, and very willing to take care of you. Any towable I buy is a SportStuff product, and we beat the heck out of them.

I think Sportsstuff tubes are very well made (big fan of the Super Mabel) - just don't store them in the sun. Obrien also makes durable tubes - we have a few that are several years old.

I’ve had 2 SplashBlaster tubes from West Marine for about 5 years. One of them got a small hole last year and when the bicycle patch didn’t work I smeared it (liberally!) with Liquid Nails. No more leak. I believe the main reason why they don’t get leaks is because I don’t deflate them. Since the inner tube doesn’t flatten out it doesn’t get creases that cause weak spots.

What I like about these tubes are the fins the give the rider control to move in and out of the wake. With the ropes the same length they can bump into each other, get out of the way or switch tubes on the fly. The boys love to flip over on their back and hold the tube in the air and then flip back over.

Same tube from Overton's

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/de...1009&r=view

post-2825-1245949096_thumb.jpg

post-2825-1245949126_thumb.jpg

we don't deflate them either. They usually end up leaking around the air intake nozzle (and not because we cross thread them - they just start to leak)

Anyhoo it sounds like sportsstuff or obrien screamers are the way to go. I'll probably advise him to get a screamer is it's reasonable for price. Seems most stuff from sportsstuff is more pricey. If we still have trouble I'll let him know about sportsstuff. I like the fact that they cover broken gear (about time somebody did).

we don't deflate them either. They usually end up leaking around the air intake nozzle (and not because we cross thread them - they just start to leak)

Anyhoo it sounds like sportsstuff or obrien screamers are the way to go. I'll probably advise him to get a screamer is it's reasonable for price. Seems most stuff from sportsstuff is more pricey. If we still have trouble I'll let him know about sportsstuff. I like the fact that they cover broken gear (about time somebody did).

We had a sportstuff tube about two years ago, it was one of them that did not make it into the next season, another seam rip. Most of our tubes have had this happen, too much stress maybe, a new tube was always the fix.

We bought a couple tubes from West Marine a couple years ago. (for the kids. . . .) They have held up great. They are an AirHead tube with some blatant West Marine promo -- large WEST MARINE printed on the side of the tubes.

We were told they came with a 'lifetime warranty'. If it every failed, even if we just left it out in the sun, they said bring it back and they'd replace it with same or similar. Sounded too good to be true, maybe to get the West Marine brand/promo on the water.

It is a comfort just to think we may have bought the last set of tubes. (even if it turns out later not to be true if/when they fail)

We have a sea-doo labeled tube that has lasted 6-7 years. It is fully covered with heavy nylon and zipped in. Costco had what looked like a decent 2 person towable in the store for $140, but they do not have that model online.

I have had the same issue with tubes popping. One that I would definitely NOT buy any Rave Sports tubes. They are expensive and their customer service is terrible.

The most durable tubes we've had are the HO Solo-X's. I've had a couple of them that have lasted for 5 or 6 years through highschool houseboat camps and still look pretty much like brand new.

I've had friends just go with whatever tube Costco is selling that year. They are really good about taking them back if a problem develops with them.