Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Guard

I am needing to do something different with the platform on the LSV. Since it's on a lift 100% of the time now, I am having to re-oil the platform a lot more.

Has anyone that used the Teak Guard system in the past had any problems with it?

How has it held up over time?

Does it require as much recoating as regular teak oil?

Would you do it again?

I like Teak Guard for my old very weathered platform on my Skier. I tried it on my Sportster for 1 summer and did not like it. I stripped it down this Spring and went back to oil.

Teak Guard is a latex sealer and looks good, but different from teak oil. The Teak Guard lasts longer, but I like the looks of oil better on a new platform.

i purchased teak guard when i got the 04 based on this boards recommendations.

i cleaned the platform upon layup and let it dry for half the winter then did the teak guard. that was wrong, per the instructions. who knew you were supposed to read the instructions? the ski scrapes added up fast but the finish that didn't get scraped off looked ok.

platform was getting really shabby (too busy skiing), so i thought i would try it again. scrubbed my butt off (yup, i got no butt left) and dolled it up again. holding up ok but i certainly would not give it the rave reviews that i saw here. seems to me that the ski scrapes off the finish and the guys really do try the tlc approach. not much difference from the results i got after the first boo boo.

this still may be my bad...most of the bad press i have seen is followed by the caution that the cleaning step is the most important. i understand that. i did use alot of elbow grease cleaning it. if it has to be cleaned more, well, i'm not sure i am the right guy for the job.

i have taken to reapplying the teak guard finish coat every other time the rig is used. when the bottle of finish is gone i think i am moving back to teak oil.

Edited by tvano
i purchased teak guard when i got the 04 based on this boards recommendations.

i cleaned the platform upon layup and let it dry for half the winter then did the teak guard.  that was wrong, per the instructions.  who knew you were supposed to read the instructions?  the ski scrapes added up fast but the finish that didn't get scraped off looked ok. 

platform was getting really shabby (too busy skiing), so i thought i would try it again.  scrubbed my butt off (yup, i got no butt left) and dolled it up again.  holding up ok but i certainly would not give it the rave reviews that i saw here.  seems to me that the ski scrapes off the finish and the guys really do try the tlc approach.  not much difference from the results i got after the first boo boo. 

this still may be my bad...most of the bad press i have seen is followed by the caution that the cleaning step is the most important.  i understand that.  i did use alot of elbow grease cleaning it.  if it has to be cleaned more, well, i'm not sure i am the right guy for the job. 

i have taken to reapplying the teak guard finish coat every other time the rig is used.  when the finish coat is gone i think i am moving back to teak oil.

Cleaning is key, but it does not hold up well on new platforms. The oil in the teak causes the TeakGuard to come off easily. The more weathered the teak, the better the stuff holds up.

I used Teakguard on my platform before the start of this season back in Feb or March. The boat has pretty much been in the water with the platform in the water since May until the present. The Teakguard has held up fairly well and certainly the deck looks better than it did last season using oil. There are worn areas, specifically on the back edge where my daughter slides into the water with her board. The other areas are where duck poop kept getting deposited. I have since asked my daughter to change her water entry and for some reason the ducks have been leaving my poor deck alone, so I never got around to using 88's suggestions or the more drastic ones from Andy. :)

I plan on cleaning the deck up over the winter and reapplying Teakguard to the deck, especially the worn areas and then see how it looks and holds up. All in all I am happy with the product, but agree that it is not perfect.

Teak Guard does hold up better against the ducks.

I lost the battle with the ducks again this year. I bought a Gull Sweep which kept most of them off the cover, but they pretty much had their way with the platform every night. I did have a week where I came under attack from seagulls and that made me thankful that most of the time I only deal with ducks. Seagulls are much worse than ducks.

Edited by 88Skier

I also tried Teak Guard this season. I thought the cleaning process was fairly labor intensive, I had a hard time removing all the previous teak oils. The original dry look is a bit orange, and not as nice looking as a teak oil. I also scratched the Teak Guard off in spots with boards and ski's. I guess this is the norm, but it still looks pretty good.

All in all, I haven't had to re-apply anything to the platform all summer, so I guess that is a win.

I am happier with the Teak Gaurd, compared to the oil the past seasons. If I were

ordering another kit from TeakGaurd I would get a double batch of cleaner, as

they emphasize cleaning so much I was out & still wanted to clean more.

This is the first year we've had the boat so I don't have any comparisons to oiling, but the TeakGuard has worked out pretty well. I have scrapes from boards and skis but overall it's held up reasonably well. I haven't had to re-touch anything (although I do have a few bare spots) and we've put more than 100 hours on the boat so far.

If I were ordering another kit from TeakGaurd I would get a double batch of cleaner, as they emphasize cleaning so much I was out & still wanted to clean more.

Marty (TeakGuard) doubled the amount of cleaner in the kit for just that reason. I believe it now comes with 8 oz. of cleaner and 16 oz. of TeakGuard. I believe he still gives the 20% discount if you mention MBO...

I am happier with the Teak Gaurd, compared to the oil the past seasons. If I were

ordering another kit from TeakGaurd I would get a double batch of cleaner, as

they emphasize cleaning so much I was out & still wanted to clean more.

I agree the whole thing w/ TG is cleaning properly.