Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Charger Causes

QUESTION:

Can any one explain why charging up a deep cycle battery would result in burned/corroded (+) positive accessory cable connectors (left connected during charging)?

FULL STORY:

I used my new Schumacher 15 AMP automatic battery charger (father's day gift) to charge up two deep cycle marine batteries (Costco Kirkland's Best brand Lead-Acid).

I charged each battery separately.

For each battery, I connected charger's positive clip to top of battery's (+) positive accessory post (stainless, threaded post with wing nut).

I left accessory cables connected to these posts while charging - connectors are 'tinned' (marine type).

Charging mode was set to 10 AMP (opt: 2 AMP/10 AMP/15 AMP) and STANDARD battery type (opt: Standard/AGM/Gel).

I charged each battery separately, to 100%.

After charging, the bottom of the (+) positive accessory cable connectors (in direct contact with battery post plynth) had the tinned finish burned off and showed evidence of corrosion built-up on connector.

In addition, battery post plynth shows "pitting".

These things were not present before charging.

Edited by tellushow

The only thing that really comes to mind could be that after charging awhile the batteries got warm and acid mixture inside began to boil and possibly leaked out some small crack around post. other than that it could really only have been from something drawing amperage and causing excess heat there or poor connection to battery post causing hot spot.

Depends on how low the battery is, charging a low battery @ 10 is a little too fast and can cause it to heat up and boil the inside

try using the 2 amp if your not in a hurry

10 amps would be good if your charging both batteries @ the same time.