Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your take on Ethanol  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Ethanol in your fuel

• I don't worry about it
    • I'll just use sta-bil or another additive
    • I would pay more for ethanol free fuel

With all the questions/concerns surrounding the addition of ethanol to the fuel supply, and the problems it may/may not be causing, I was able to locate a fuel/oil vendor reasonable close to me that sells E0 (no ethanol in the fuel) They carry 87 & 91 octane.

I am considering going to this station to purchase fuel for my boat. It will be about a 30 minute drive from where I keep the boat, and since I would buy the 91 octane for my Monsoon, I would be paying about a $.25/gallon premium over the the price of 89 octane E10.

Your thoughts?

I think most would prefer to run ethanol free gas. From what I have read, the greatest problems occur when mixing conventional/ E0 gas w/ E10.

Thus, your option is good....until you you get caught short, and don't have the ability to access the E0 station.

I would ask them how long they plan on having access to E0. It probably is just a matter of time before the supplier can no longer provide it.

In that case, start adding Startron or the Stabil marine product.

The marina where I will be getting my gas from this year was just (this spring) forced to go with E10. They actually are adding Startron to their storage tanks, so it is included right out of the pump.

I do buy 92 octane no ethanol from a station here in Bend. I paid a 60 cent premium last time.

I also installed an oil/water separator filter on my boat because water in the fuel is the debilitating problem with E10.

Our marina at Lake Billy Chinook had ethanol free last year and it was a $2.10 premium to E10 at a land gas station.

An imperceptible bonus is that non-ethanol fuel has more energy per gallon than E10. Normally not an issue but up at Cultus or Crescent Lake elevation 5000' ASL you lose a lot of horsepower.

Edited by DONTW8

I was running the normal recommended 89 octane before, but our husky station, where I live, which had been running 10% ethanol at all times before had swapped all there octane ratings and now serve 94 octane. Which I've been running in my boat and supercharged truck and they charge less than 91 octane from where I used to fuel before. Its actually a noticable difference. Increased power, better fuel mileage. So far so good

RTS,

Why don't you do a 50:50 blend of the 87 and 91 octane fuel to get the recommended 89? It would save you a bit of money.

I found one station where I buy my fuel that is ethanol-free. He is an independent operator - said all the corporate owned stations have gone to ethanol even though they are not mandated to do so. I hope he stays in business - I would hate to have to start using EtOH.

I do buy 92 octane no ethanol from a station here in Bend. I paid a 60 cent premium last time.

I also installed an oil/water separator filter on my boat because water in the fuel is the debilitating problem with E10.

Our marina at Lake Billy Chinook had ethanol free last year and it was a $2.10 premium to E10 at a land gas station.

An imperceptible bonus is that non-ethanol fuel has more energy per gallon than E10. Normally not an issue but up at Cultus or Crescent Lake elevation 5000' ASL you lose a lot of horsepower.

Which station are you getting that from? I haven't looked real hard, but haven't been able to find E0 locally.

Red Carpet Car Wash: Shell Station just south of Red Oaks Square.

Center pump on the island closest to the office.

The 92 octane no lead is not a Shell product. The attendants are not supposed to put it into a 1955 or later car but can put it into your boat, atv, dirt bike or gas cans.

Mike is contemplating installing a card lock pump at the Red Carpet Wash/Lube south of the underpass because then the car owner could put it into their high perf auto without the station owner's knowledge and this would increase sales because some of the hot shoes will buy fuel for their post 1954 cars.

Edited by DONTW8
  • 3 weeks later...

The 92 octane no lead is not a Shell product. The attendants are not supposed to put it into a 1955 or later car but can put it into your boat, atv, dirt bike or gas cans.

Mike is contemplating installing a card lock pump at the Red Carpet Wash/Lube south of the underpass because then the car owner could put it into their high perf auto without the station owner's knowledge and this would increase sales because some of the hot shoes will buy fuel for their post 1954 cars.

Oh, thats right. "mini serve" is what I remember it being called. I am surprised that hasn't been repealed yet after so many years. There will be whole generations of Oregonians that have never pumped their own gas, what a concept!

Oh, thats right. "mini serve" is what I remember it being called. I am surprised that hasn't been repealed yet after so many years. There will be whole generations of Oregonians that have never pumped their own gas, what a concept!

So irritates me every time I go to Oregon... makes me laugh that they don't trust the people to pump their own gas, where every other state does. Must be a gas attendent union thing or something ;)

You know, I never really thought about it until I moved to another state. Then I came home & (of course) immediately ran into attendants that put the wrong gas in (hey, I asked for leaded....or, I asked for Premium). If we're left to our own devices, then at least we'd just have to call ourselves the dumb@ss instead of the minimum wage attendant.

I had to chuckle a bit at your post for the following: When we go down to Baja, Mexico for the Off Road races, when we pull up to the local Pemex station the attendants rush out, or are standing there and quickly start pumping fuel in your vehicle. The trick they pull is to not reset the pump, so when you get done you just paid for 1.5 to 2 tanks of fuel!!! They try to keep you confused by rattling off the amount in pesos rather than dollars rounding so it doesn't sound quite so bad. The big problem is it is not always that easy to be jumping out of a Trophy Truck, Pre Runner or buggy when you are potentially belted in. In addition, the wrong gas is also sometimes a problem along with a little blend issue (read water!). You actually learn pretty quick to be on the window sill pulling in to the station.

We shouldn't complain that much, one can always get fuel at any time of day anywhere in the USA, there are many country's where it is quite a bit more difficult.

We were at a Pemex on our way to Mulege' and encountered pumps where the price and dollar amount were taped off. The attendant overcharged us per gallon (we assume) and picked up an extra 50 ? cents a gallon from us. The dadgum stations are far enough apart we were just glad to get fuel, whatever the price. Even with the upcharge it was cheaper than San Diego.

Where I live both ethanol and non-ethanol are the same price for reg, mid and premium (at least for now). So we buy from stations without ethanol which one happens to be a couple minutes from our lake. I'm sure that will not be the case forever but for now its good news here.