Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's your best "Behind the boat moment?"

aneal000

Ok, lets bring all disciplines together here and focus on our love for the water!

Tell us your best experience ever behind the boat, anything goes...

I have two. The first time I ever landed a flip on the wakeboard! I had wanted nothing more and I had been working on it for months (no coach). I was bruised and broken but I kept trying over and over and finally got it. I'll never forget the feeling of the first time... :blush:

Second was when I taught a buddy of mine to get up on skis for the first time. I know you say, no big deal, right. But there is more to the story, this guy had a sheltered life, like real sheltered... his parents wouldn't let him go sledding when it snowed, he had never been ice skating or swimming. He was deathly afraid of water over his ankles! He wanted to learn but was scared. We tired a bunch of things over and over and we finally got him up! That was my best coaching moment!

Damn, that's a tough question!

I still vividly remember learning to waterski, at age 8! I remember the first time I got up on slalom also.

I just can't really rank all the moments I can think of, but thanks for jarring my memory!

1) Right after we got the boat and I taught my boys (5 & 7) to wakeboard.

2) Getting back on the slalom stick after a six month lay-up for knee rebuild.

3) Landing a barrel roll in a contest with a buddy. He had to run the course 22 off / 32mph vs. I had to land an invert. I about broke myself in half during the 5000 attempts prior to landing one.

Worst Moment?

That feeling (during the failed attempt at a tantrum) of my knee coming apart inside. It was one of those slow motion things. The knee joint completely dislocated. That hurt. Cry.gif Over at the old site someones signature was "Underwater no one can hear you scream"....I'm here to tell you that's not true.

without a doubt all the best times behind the boat were coaching moments, being left alone in the water, yelling to myself and pumping my fist in the air as another child successfully rides a deep water start away... Yahoo.gif

My best "Behind the boat moment" was when I made my first perfect pass in a tournament. I was 13 years old...

The worst was a while back when I was just free skiing making some hard cuts on glass. I was on a friends HO Mach 1 with the adjustable dove tailed sliding front boot piece. The latch mechanism, a lever that locks into a detent, let go when I hit the first wake at full speed and the front boot piece parted from the ski. Surprised.gif

The second best was when I figured out I was still alive after that... ;)

Coaching ski team members who've never skied before. Oh wait, I do that in the boat. Umm, helping my younger cousins (I'm the oldest grandchild) learn to ski by holding their ski tips straight for them ranks right up there. :)

Worst moment would be 2 years ago. Was coming into the course at 32 MPH, 22 off directly into a low sun. Could barely see the buoys. Well, I got late to the gates, hooked one of the buoys with my ski, and exploded. Yard-sale city. People on shore were commending me for that one. Torn hip flexor hurt like a bizz...

Really most of my best moments behind the boat were not really mine, but were shared by me. Those are the moments when my kids are beaming while boarding or seeing the smile on other's faces when they have gotten up on a wakeboard for the first time. I treasure those times.

For me when I have been the one back there, I would have to say was this last year when I finally got this wakeboarding thing under some control. No inverts for me, but I can sometimes clear the wake at 75'. The best though was when I had a group of my middle son's friends out who had not been before or not much. After I had given them all pulls and they all got up, there was some time left so I went for a run. They were all very impressed with how good I was. It's all very relative :) .

The worst was kind of funny. I learned to slalom in the upper Chesapeake Bay. One day we were running across the bay to the other side to find some water without whitecaps. We usually pulled somebody across so as not to waste any time in the boat. I was being pulled and we crossed behind a huge ship with a matching huge wake. It was so big that as the tow boat went down into it, I lost sight of the boat . I knew I was in for it when I came upon the huge drop down as the boat was coming up out the other side. I didn't make it across the wake. The guys in the boat thought it was all pretty funny.

obski Posted Today, 10:13 AM

I was being pulled and we crossed behind a huge ship with a matching huge wake. It was so big that as the tow boat went down into it, I lost sight of the boat .

And I complain when my wife pulls me through some 6 in. "chop" ! Argue.gif

Best moment behind the boat was probably my senior year at K-State at the Midwest Regional Tournament, ran PB's in all three events with a Top 5 Overall score to help my team go to their second straight National Championship. Also the 2001 Midwest Regionals when we took first and went to the teams first Nationals in 19 years was really special. I can definately relate to those teams in the NCAA basketball tournament now, team moments like that are special.

Worst moment behind the boat was probably late last fall. My roommate and I were at a friends lake training with the K-State team. It was late in the day and we had skied a lot, so we decided to have a little run-off on the wide-ride slaloms (INT rules.) I'd given him a 2 pass handicap and he ran 4 @ 28' off. Anyway, I was late at 3 @ 35' and knew I would have to hear crap all the way home if he beat me, so I came in late again at four and threw the ski out at the ball thinking I could get around it and pull it back in to the wake. I caught the buoy and then my head hit the water really hard. It was funny, 30 mph wide ride speed and it was the hardest fall I've taken in any discipline. I was out cold for a couple seconds. Haven't been on the wide ride since! :(

Still my favorite was my first time to ski.

On the brazos, I was 10 and out with my dad and his buddies.

I kept pestering him to let me ski and he finally relented.

He throws me one ski - wood back then - I asked for a pair.

He said if I'm gonna ski its gonna be slalom.

I complained that his buddies got to ride on pairs but he refused.

I got up on the second pull and the rest is history.

He bragged about me all night as we partied at Indian Lodge.

My wife would say that her best moment was when she was first learning to ski at Priest Lake. Her parents told her they would give her $.75 if she got up and a whopping $1.50 if she made it all the way around a circle. She got up and then held on for the full circle chanting, "a dollar and a half, a dollar and a half..." the whole way around.

My wife would say that her best moment was when she was first learning to ski at Priest Lake.  Her parents told her they would give her $.75 if she got up and a whopping $1.50 if she made it all the way around a circle.  She got up and then held on for the full circle chanting, "a dollar and a half, a dollar and a half..." the whole way around.

So was she a cheap date too? Biggrin.gif

I have a few best moments (and continue to have them all the time).

1. When my wife 1st got up on the wakeboard (and liked it :)).

2. Not behind the boat, but whenever I teach someone to ride...

3. When I landed my very first backroll (last summer) - it only took 11 years - I ALWAYS kept at it.

JZ

My wife would say that her best moment was when she was first learning to ski at Priest Lake.  Her parents told her they would give her $.75 if she got up and a whopping $1.50 if she made it all the way around a circle.  She got up and then held on for the full circle chanting, "a dollar and a half, a dollar and a half..." the whole way around.

So was she a cheap date too? Biggrin.gif

Used to be, but I think she has wised up considerably since then.

1) Learning to ski on doubles at age 11 on the Mississippi River

2) Learning to slalom at age 12 on the Mississippi River

3) Parents buy 16' Glastron in 1971. Our family had a lot of fun with that boat.

4) Friend buys 18' Signa in 1980. We have great time till he sells it in 1984. He was pi$$ed one time when I pulled him on a tractor tube at 40 mph, but he sure did skip across the water several times when he fell off!

5) I buy my first boat (new 1989 Chapparal)

6) Learn to ski barefoot off the boom of buddies boat on Mississippi River in 1990

7) Learn deep water barefoot starts behind Chaparral in 1991. Do lots of long line barefoot doubles

8) Learn to barefoot backwards on a boom in 1994.

9) Buy Malibu Flightcraft in 1995 and learn barefoot long line back deep starts.

10) Do double long line barefoot backward deep start with Sunset Bob in 2004 behind my Response.

Hundreds of hours and thousands of memories from 37 years of teaching many kids and adults to ski, and boating with family and friends. No amount of money can replace that!! Love.gif

Bill

Its a good thing you said "behind" the boat and not "in" the boat. (Why must those planes keep circling overhead?).......Innocent.gif

we could start a whole 'nother thread...twice for me :blush:

...oh, stop it everybody, I've been married to towelbabe for 25 yrs next month Rockon.gif

Hank,

I'm so glad to find you here. I've missed your humor. Hope all is well with you.

Did you ever decide what to do for your 25th? My wife and I will be having our 25th in 2 months. We're going to do something we have talked about doing for years and years - go up and stay at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood.

David

Best; my son (then age 5) popped right up on his board and all the other boaters in the area were hooting and hollering for him.

Worst; tried a wrapped 360 and got a bit tangled. Broke some ribs, pulled my shoulder out, etc.

Best; my son (then age 5) popped right up on his board and all the other boaters in the area were hooting and hollering for him.

Worst; tried a wrapped 360 and got a bit tangled.  Broke some ribs, pulled my shoulder out, etc.

ouch

2 of the better moments for me were when:

I landed my first 360 after trying for a while and beating myself up

The second was when my five year old niece got up on the surf board with me last summer. Watching the video and seeing the smile on her face was what it is all about.

My best...I think one was my first time on skis, when I was tiny and my father held me on the front of a pair. My second, was probably the first time I ran the course because it was a royal pain, but winning some tournaments is up there too for both skiing and boarding.

Ok, lets bring all disciplines together here and focus on our love for the water!

Second was when I taught a buddy of mine to get up on skis for the first time.  I know you say, no big deal, right.  But there is more to the story, this guy had a sheltered life, like real sheltered... his parents wouldn't let him go sledding when it snowed, he had never been ice skating or swimming.  He was deathly afraid of water over his ankles!  He wanted to learn but was scared.  We tired a bunch of things over and over and we finally got him up!  That was my best coaching moment!

Or, the water wings helped him out more than you thought.