Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Wedge

Pondking

I have an older version of the wedge on a 99 SLXi. I love what it does but it is a pain to move up and down....Any suggestions to make it easier.

I have an older version of the wedge on a 99 SLXi. I love what it does but it is a pain to move up and down....Any suggestions to make it easier.

You could file the inside of the wedge bracket.

If you don't have a trap door in your swimstep, then I would suggest that first. I do shoot a bit of oil in the push pins and around the bolts from time to time and it does make things alot easier.

I will try to be clearerer.

1st I'll tell you I just got the boat, my 1st malibu, and I absolutely love it! (woo hoo Yahoo.gif ). Couldn't be happier after 1 and a half years of patiently waiting for the right boat all my expectations were surpassed. Also thanks to this site and the members for all the great info. Extremely helpful and well worth the fee.

The spring loaded push pins were not stuck infact they moved relatively well. I just found it difficult to..... reach under the swim platform, squeeze the up position lock pins, lower, find and squeeze the down position lock pins to get into place. All sight unseen while I'm wearing a vest and my board about to have a session (way too much floatation for this exercise). I'm only about 5'9 ish with standard reach and it was tough.

Is there some kind of conversion to make life with the wedge easier, Or is there a trick I need to learn.

Thanks

1st I'll tell you I just got the boat, my 1st malibu, and I absolutely love it! (woo hoo  Yahoo.gif ). Couldn't be happier after 1 and a half years of patiently waiting for the right boat all my expectations were surpassed. Also thanks to this site and the members for all the great info. Extremely helpful and well worth the fee.

The spring loaded push pins were not stuck infact they moved relatively well. I just found it difficult to..... reach under the swim platform, squeeze the up position lock pins, lower, find and squeeze the down position lock pins to get into place. All sight unseen while I'm wearing a vest and my board about to have a session (way too much floatation for this exercise). I'm only about 5'9 ish with standard reach and it was tough.

Is there some kind of conversion to make life with the wedge easier, Or is there a trick I need to learn.

Thanks

pondking - I have the same boat & wedge. if you have a 99, you probably already have the trap door (although, frankly i find I need to get in the water about 50% of the time anyhow).

first, make sure you adjust the wedge before you get your gear on :Doh:Biggrin.gif

then, these two things have helped me:

1) put some white grease on the pins

2) put pressure on the wedge with your foot (I typically push towards the hull, others have better success pulling). it helps release the load on the pins and makes it easier to squeeze them together.

Pondking

I recently did the door modification myself. It was actually very easy, I ordered the latch ring kit from my bu dealer for about $35 bought a stainless hinge at the local hardware store. The hardest part was cutting the door out and keeping it square. Let me know if you need help. Biggrin.gif

post-33-1125376526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henken

1st I'll tell you I just got the boat, my 1st malibu, and I absolutely love it! (woo hoo  Yahoo.gif ). Couldn't be happier after 1 and a half years of patiently waiting for the right boat all my expectations were surpassed. Also thanks to this site and the members for all the great info. Extremely helpful and well worth the fee.

Thanks

pondking - I have the same boat & wedge. if you have a 99, you probably already have the trap door (although, frankly i find I need to get in the water about 50% of the time anyhow).

first, make sure you adjust the wedge before you get your gear on :Doh:Biggrin.gif

then, these two things have helped me:

1) put some white grease on the pins

2) put pressure on the wedge with your foot (I typically push towards the hull, others have better success pulling). it helps release the load on the pins and makes it easier to squeeze them together.

No trap door....will be by next spring though... thanks

getting in 1st will really suck up here come fall temps.

Edited by Pondking

My 99 SLxi Classic, doesn't have the trap door either. That's a mod I will try to get done this winter, but I have an idea that this winter is already booked.