Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best way to weight 06 vlx?

timjame0719

I've got an 06 VLX and have been happy with the wake using stock ballast since I ordered it but have been on a few other bu's and think I want a bit more. They plumbed in a crazy amount of rear weight taking up the lockers. I really don't want to eat up the space in the rear lockers...maybe just looking for a fat sac to put in front of the rear seat. I've got the stock (4) tanks now and noticed that my VLX is sensitive to weight up front. Any more than the stock tank up there and the wake seems to mellow out. I had a 750lb fat sac that I barrowed (filled pretty much all the way) and put in front of the rear seat then a bunch of fat guys came out and I thought it would be a crazy wake, however, with nobody up front and everyone seemingly space out around evenly the wake seemed to get smaller. Maybe too much weight? How much weight should I be looking at for a nice peaky/firm wake for the 06 VLX? Thanks!

I've got an 06 VLX and have been happy with the wake using stock ballast since I ordered it but have been on a few other bu's and think I want a bit more. They plumbed in a crazy amount of rear weight taking up the lockers. I really don't want to eat up the space in the rear lockers...maybe just looking for a fat sac to put in front of the rear seat. I've got the stock (4) tanks now and noticed that my VLX is sensitive to weight up front. Any more than the stock tank up there and the wake seems to mellow out. I had a 750lb fat sac that I barrowed (filled pretty much all the way) and put in front of the rear seat then a bunch of fat guys came out and I thought it would be a crazy wake, however, with nobody up front and everyone seemingly space out around evenly the wake seemed to get smaller. Maybe too much weight? How much weight should I be looking at for a nice peaky/firm wake for the 06 VLX? Thanks!

Do you like riding with the wedge or not? If so use the wedge and put that 750 in the walkway up front next to the driver. That wake will grow nicely. I never ran the wedge wakeboarding on my 06 vlx but I did try one 400# sac in each rear locker and a 400# sac up front and the wake was nice. Whatever you do to the weight keep it around 60% rear weight and 40% front weight and you'll love it.

NvBoarder's setup is really good, whether you use the wedge or not. He's got about 400lbs extra that he's distributed pretty evenly starting with 80lbs right in the nose, then distributing the rest pretty evenly as you get to the back of the cabin. (I don't think that he has any extra in the rear lockers, BICBW.) Hopefully he'll chime in on the specifics on that. The wake is really good.....really firm with a lot of pop. Of all of the '05-'08 VLXs that I've been in, his wakeboarding wake is probably the most dialed in.

NvBoarder's setup is really good, whether you use the wedge or not. He's got about 400lbs extra that he's distributed pretty evenly starting with 80lbs right in the nose, then distributing the rest pretty evenly as you get to the back of the cabin. (I don't think that he has any extra in the rear lockers, BICBW.) Hopefully he'll chime in on the specifics on that. The wake is really good.....really firm with a lot of pop. Of all of the '05-'08 VLXs that I've been in, his wakeboarding wake is probably the most dialed in.

Thanks wakegirl!

Here is my setup I have two 40lb pop sacs stuffed in the nose just below the tank. I have about thirty five pounds stuffed in each pocket at the bow seats pushed back as far as possible towards the back of the boat another two pop sacs behind the drivers kick panel and two more in the passenger compartment. Then I have another two pop sacs below each of the two rear corner seats of the boat. I also have about 90 lbs in the factory cooler area to help offset the weight between the left side and right side of the boat since most people sit on the left side of the boat and that is where most of the storage area is (anchor, batteries, tool kit, etc). I don't put anything in the V-drive compartment because I need the storage for coolers, vest, food, etc. I have about 550 lbs of led spread out, most of it is towards the front of the boat because thats what our boat likes, it makes the wake very firm. Word of caution the nose of the boat can sit pretty low with that weight up front and acouple small people or one large person cause you to chilly dip the boat occasionally so the driver has to pay attention to that when you come off plane. Not a huge issue but something to think about. I normally use the wedge everytime I ride but it was not working right this last weekend and we rode with it up and the wake was still great. So either way this setup should work for most. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks wakegirl!

Here is my setup I have two 40lb pop sacs stuffed in the nose just below the tank. I have about thirty five pounds stuffed in each pocket at the bow seats pushed back as far as possible towards the back of the boat another two pop sacs behind the drivers kick panel and two more in the passenger compartment. Then I have another two pop sacs below each of the two rear corner seats of the boat. I also have about 90 lbs in the factory cooler area to help offset the weight between the left side and right side of the boat since most people sit on the left side of the boat and that is where most of the storage area is (anchor, batteries, tool kit, etc). I don't put anything in the V-drive compartment because I need the storage for coolers, vest, food, etc. I have about 550 lbs of led spread out, most of it is towards the front of the boat because thats what our boat likes, it makes the wake very firm. Word of caution the nose of the boat can sit pretty low with that weight up front and acouple small people or one large person cause you to chilly dip the boat occasionally so the driver has to pay attention to that when you come off plane. Not a huge issue but something to think about. I normally use the wedge everytime I ride but it was not working right this last weekend and we rode with it up and the wake was still great. So either way this setup should work for most. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Great! That helps a lot. I appreciate the input. I do not ride with the wedge, I actually took it off. I've had bad luck with it from hitting a log and spidering the whole transom to the hydrofoil plate coming off and bending the forks all the way around. Enough for me. We're on our 3rd one so I packed it up. I will spread weight here and there trying to keep even with what you did. Sounds like a lot of work and playing around with weight to get what you did. Awesome job! Thanks for the posts.