Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

need advise on oil pressure warning

Hi Guys,

So I was all set to take the boat for a nice ride with the family yesterday, but never made it to the launch ramp.

When I started the boat, the oil pressure warning was beeping, and the gage shows 0 for oil pressure.

BTW, my boat is a 03 wakesetter vlx with the monsoon.

So I shut it off, and checked the oil, it was full, cleaned the stick off and started again for a few seconds and checked the

stick again, I see that the oil was up higher on the stick ( assumed that there must have been some pressure, but I know what

happens when you assume ).

I was wondering if any of the experts have some advice on where to start.

One note, I did change the steering cable last week and didn't test fire it up after, which was dumb of me. I don't know if

it may have knocked a wire off of the gage? I did see the sending unit, and it has the wire attached still.

My initial thoughts are that it may be the sending unit, but I don't know how to check and don't really want to spend the $50 for a replacement unless I know it's that. It could also be the gage, wiring from the sending unit to the gage, pump, or fuse if there is a separate fuse for the oil pressure.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Since you are getting both the beeper going on and a 0 reading on your gauge, I would investigate further. They each use two seperate senders fed from two different circuits, so there is redundancy there. First thing I would do, is to thread a mechanical gauge into the port where the senders are. Check for a blockage in the port while you are at it. If you get a 0 pressure reading with the mechanical gauge, then it sounds like an oil pump failure.

I have had the same issue. There is a multi pin connector on the starboard side of the engine. I cleaned this and the low oil pressure warning went away and the gauge read normally. I was able to figure out this problem when I would wiggle the connector to make the oil pressure gauge work. My boat is a 2003 x1 xti with the monsoon

I have had the same issue. There is a multi pin connector on the starboard side of the engine. I cleaned this and the low oil pressure warning went away and the gauge read normally. I was able to figure out this problem when I would wiggle the connector to make the oil pressure gauge work. My boat is a 2003 x1 xti with the monsoon

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

--Robert

Since you are getting both the beeper going on and a 0 reading on your gauge, I would investigate further. They each use two seperate senders fed from two different circuits, so there is redundancy there. First thing I would do, is to thread a mechanical gauge into the port where the senders are. Check for a blockage in the port while you are at it. If you get a 0 pressure reading with the mechanical gauge, then it sounds like an oil pump failure.

Yeah, having both warnings scared me a bit. I think I'm going to tee off the sending unit and add a manual gauge as well. I read in some previous posts about people doing this. At least I would know for sure that it's getting pressure or not.

I was also talking to a car mechanic friend, and they commented that the oil pump is fairly bullet proof and guessed that it's either the sending unit or the wiring.

Thanks!

--Robert