Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 LSV Rear Locker Problem

I've got a 2009 23LSV and I'm having problems with the rear locker pistons (or whatever they're called). They are installed at a bad angle and are starting to tear the screws out of the top where the piston attaches. Now the tops where the screws go in are stripped and the piston is falling off. Has anybody else had this problem? Any solutions? I can't believe this design is this lousy. My boat has 40hrs on it and it's already having craftsmanship issues. Do you think my dealer will fix it? I'm seeing him later today.

I've got a 2009 23LSV and I'm having problems with the rear locker pistons (or whatever they're called). They are installed at a bad angle and are starting to tear the screws out of the top where the piston attaches. Now the tops where the screws go in are stripped and the piston is falling off. Has anybody else had this problem? Any solutions? I can't believe this design is this lousy. My boat has 40hrs on it and it's already having craftsmanship issues. Do you think my dealer will fix it? I'm seeing him later today.

on my 08,the screws for that bracket completely ripped out of the locker hatch at about 150 hours. Haven't had the problem on my 09 (of course only 30 hours now), but I make it a point to routinely check the tightness of those screws to keep it good and solid. Will see if it holds up...

Simply adding these knurled Rivet Nuts and stainless machine screws would solve the problem in a heartbeat...permanently too. And, they are available in stainless as well (although alum would be just fine, and easier to install). All you would need to do is drill out one screw to determine the required crush thickness for the best fit. Have used them many times in aircraft. Makes a FAR superior/stronger fastened connection than a screw alone (about 10 times the strength):

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nut-certs/=2fqv9l

Edited by rustie

on my 08,the screws for that bracket completely ripped out of the locker hatch at about 150 hours. Haven't had the problem on my 09 (of course only 30 hours now), but I make it a point to routinely check the tightness of those screws to keep it good and solid. Will see if it holds up...

Your dealer should fix it if you choose to go that route. I had mine rip out on one side on my 08 and I moved it and and used better screws and 5200 sealant on the screws and havent had a problem with them since.

Thanks for the tips. I spoke to my dealer and he said he would fix it if I brought the boat in. I might just do it myself to save time. That being said, I still don't like the design from Malibu. My dealer said he was going to talk with them about coming up with something else. He agreed the current design is not that good.