Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake scum

I am going to a power plant lake this weekend. After the last time we went to this lake I had a nice water line left around the boat and a good layer of hard water buildup all over the bottom. It was a very nice couple of hours of sweating to get everything clean again. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep this stuff off of by boat. I have already cleaned and waxed my boat in an atempt to make cleaning it easier.

Not trying to be a wise guy......

I would just avoid bodies of water that are that nasty.... :)

Scott

Edited by steemin
  • 3 weeks later...
I am going to a power plant lake this weekend. After the last time we went to this lake I had a nice water line left around the boat and a good layer of hard water buildup all over the bottom. It was a very nice couple of hours of sweating to get everything clean again. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep this stuff off of by boat. I have already cleaned and waxed my boat in an atempt to make cleaning it easier.

Don't know of anything to keep the stuff off but I assume your aware of the worlds best non-harmful to gelcoat cleaner?

White Vinegar on sale at Walmart $1.49 gallon. It removes hard water stains and oxidation, fuel stain marks etc. with no sweating involved. Just apply liberal amounts with a large brush like you were painting the boat with several coats and wait 5 minutes and reapply where nescessary. It is especially effective on stainless steel handrails and malibu decals. Its not at all harmful to the boat, you or driveway, like toilet bowl cleaner is. There are even a couple wax products that are not removed by vinegar.

later

Jeff

Thanks, that actually helps a lot. Mainly it is just very hard water.

Our trip was great. The water was so smooth you could board anywhere on the lake, and over our whole three day weekend we only saw 2 other non fishing boats on the lake. The only down side is we are in the great state of Texas with 103 air temps and water temps from 95 to 111.