Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Issue

1st happy father's day

2nd, Took the 95 response out today and I felt a little vibration. Put it back on the shorestation and took a look at it.

(i know you are not suppose to under the boatt while on the lift but oh well)

Had a bunch of filament wrapped around the drive shaft. So I took the prop off and not paying attention a thin piece of something fell into the water never to be seen again.

Now there is a void in the drive shaft that used to be filled by something that help make my prop turn. I am an idiot, I know!!

SO my first thought that this was there not only for the prop but also for something for balancing as well.

I am now think I am into a lot more money if I have to have it balanced than originally planned.

Does anyone know what this thing does and where to get a new one?

Thank you in advance,

Sounds like the prop shaft key....you can get them at Discount inboard marine (or pretty much any boat shop that sells inboards if you don't want to wait for mail-order). The shaft key is pretty essential to making sure the prop does not spin on the shaft......

Hope this helps.

Sounds like the prop shaft key....you can get them at Discount inboard marine (or pretty much any boat shop that sells inboards if you don't want to wait for mail-order). The shaft key is pretty essential to making sure the prop does not spin on the shaft......

Hope this helps.

Plus1.gif

just thought i'd add that replacing the key should not affect the balance.

Hope this helps.

Plus1.gif

just thought i'd add that replacing the key should not affect the balance.

THIS SITE IS THE GREATEST!! My wife and just spent the entire time from post to response with snorkels on trying to find the "prop shaft key" (i can call it by its real name now) nice to know it is not a big deal.

We will just have to have fun on the Sea-doo this afternoon. (saves on gas $$)

now for what is the reason for it?? is it so that this will bend when you hit something to take some of the shock out??

just a theory don't make fun if I am way off...

Thanks a bunch

The "key" locks the prop onto the shaft and keeps it from spinning on the shaft. The attached image is from the Acme website. The key fits into the "notch" you see in the hub.

post-5162-1245619135_thumb.jpg

If you decide to put your mask & snorkel back on, this is what you are looking for....

prop key

Thanks for the help all... The snorkels are put away

Finally something I can fix on my boat for only $6.

One more question...

How tight do you want the bolt at the end of the drive shaft? When taking the prop off It seemed like it was not super tight. Of course it has the plastic on the nut to keep it from coming off but I imagined it would be really tight like a lug on your car.

I figured you would want to really torque it on there but I could be wrong.

Let me know what you think,

Should be relatively tight - though not quite as snug as lug nuts.

For putting the prop on with a new key, do the following...

Seat the prop on without the key - don't need the nut. If seated correctly, it should make a ping sound & not just slide back off. Mark the location of the back of the prop on the shaft.

Put the key in the slot.

Put the prop back on. It should seat back to the line. If not, file/sand the key down a little bit until the prop gets to the line.

Put on a new nut - snug it up and install a new SS cotter pin.

You should be able to get them wherever you get the key.

Here's an overview of removing/installing a prop from the DIY section.

Key things are:

Remove cotter pin.

Block prop with board against hull. (Wrap in a towel to prevent scuffs on the boat)

Loosen nut about .25", but don't take all the way off. (Keeps prop from ending up at the bottom of the lake or bending on the driveway).

Pop prop loose. (If using a puller on the lift, tie the puller to something to keep it off the bottom of the lake)

Rotate prop so key is on the top. (Keeps key from ending up at bottom of lake)

Remove nut, prop & key.

Re-install with a new nut & cotter pin.

The plastic/nylon on the nut is really only good for one install.

In a pinch you can reuse the nut/pin again, but may want to watch them for a little since they only designed to be used once.