Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gauges stop working

We have a 2001 malibu sunsetter. This past weekend on the lake, the boat's gauges would stop working after we had been running the boat for abuot 5 or 10 minutes pulling the towable. We would stop the boat, turn it back on and the gauges would start working again. We thought maybe our stereo and tower speakers were causing a problem, but it did the same thing when we ran it without the stereo on. Not sure what the problem could be. The boat runs great. When we first re-start the boat, the gauges will fluctuate for about 5 seconds up and down slightly jittering before they work completely, then of course 5 or 10 minutes later, they just stop all together. Any help with what this problem could be would be appreciated.

We have a 2001 malibu sunsetter. This past weekend on the lake, the boat's gauges would stop working after we had been running the boat for abuot 5 or 10 minutes pulling the towable. We would stop the boat, turn it back on and the gauges would start working again. We thought maybe our stereo and tower speakers were causing a problem, but it did the same thing when we ran it without the stereo on. Not sure what the problem could be. The boat runs great. When we first re-start the boat, the gauges will fluctuate for about 5 seconds up and down slightly jittering before they work completely, then of course 5 or 10 minutes later, they just stop all together. Any help with what this problem could be would be appreciated.

I have the same problem on my brand new 2009 VLX. I think is humidity on the conectors of the main harness that comes from the engine.

Luciano from argentina.

The harness connector previously mentioned is oft referred to as the cannon plug, Mark it for proper re-assembly (as it's been mentioned that it can be put together rotated and misaligned) dissassemble, clean male & female ends and re-assemble.

Make sure the cannon plug is fully pushed in before going to the effort of dissasembly. Each year mine loosens up, but instuments are good to go after pushing the plug back in.

Also check the grounding block .... the nut holding the primary ground to it came off mine and I experienced the same problem - a quick replacement and all worked fine

After cleaning and making sure it is connected properly, I taped the connection from the wires over the plug and to the other wires on the other side with real good electrical tape. I haven't had anymore issues since.