Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Uh Oh...

Anyone remember that kid's book? That is how the day started. I have read about others successfully cleaning the carpet with a power washer, and that really works!! Got all the grime and spots out, and fluffed up the nap pretty well too!

There was a bit of water in the ski locker, so I grabbed my trusty 9/16 wrench, and man was that plug tight. So tight that when I bopped it with the heel of my hand to pop it loose, it really popped--the hole plug ripped out of the bottom and fell on the driveway. (It drained pretty well after that...) I crawled under the boat and there was the whole fitting, with three screws sticking up with pieces of hull still attached. From the looks of the fitting, I am not sure this is the first time it has popped out.

So, how to stick the through-hull fitting back into the hull?? I would guess I will need some fiberglass repair of some sort to repair the ripped out screw holes and some sort of sealant when the thru-hull goes back in. Anyone had this happen and is there a fix??

The carpet looks really good...

Anyone remember that kid's book? That is how the day started. I have read about others successfully cleaning the carpet with a power washer, and that really works!! Got all the grime and spots out, and fluffed up the nap pretty well too!

There was a bit of water in the ski locker, so I grabbed my trusty 9/16 wrench, and man was that plug tight. So tight that when I bopped it with the heel of my hand to pop it loose, it really popped--the hole plug ripped out of the bottom and fell on the driveway. (It drained pretty well after that...) I crawled under the boat and there was the whole fitting, with three screws sticking up with pieces of hull still attached. From the looks of the fitting, I am not sure this is the first time it has popped out.

So, how to stick the through-hull fitting back into the hull?? I would guess I will need some fiberglass repair of some sort to repair the ripped out screw holes and some sort of sealant when the thru-hull goes back in. Anyone had this happen and is there a fix??

The carpet looks really good...

You might be able to clean up the joint a bit and then use marine epoxy to glue the pieces back in, then a gelcoat repair kit to fill in the gelcoat (if there are pieces to put back in). I would use longer screws if you can when you put it back, and cleand the threads on the plug also.

Plus1.gif I agree with edwin. Maybe the easiest and cheapest fix is to find a bigger drain plug assembly

If a carpenter strips out a screw hole, they just buzz in a bigger screw...might as well do the same with yours. Time for a bigger drain plug!