Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu better watch out

skisix@38

The interior reminds me of an Axis. The wake doesn't seem to be all that revolutionary but the lack of spray is an improvement for sure. They said this hull is designed to ride higher in the water. That's why Malibus have always handled better. I wonder how this one drives.

You think a Response LX or LXi handles better than a SN196? I've got 3 tracking fins on my Sporster and was surprised last year when I drove one that even though it is bigger and heavier, it seemed to turn sharper with less effort. It wasn't as fun to drive, but an LX or LXi probably aren't either.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnDoe

• 88Skier

• WakeGirl

• mlange

The interior reminds me of an Axis. The wake doesn't seem to be all that revolutionary but the lack of spray is an improvement for sure. They said this hull is designed to ride higher in the water. That's why Malibus have always handled better. I wonder how this one drives.

You think a Response LX or LXi handles better than a SN196? I've got 3 tracking fins on my Sporster and was surprised last year when I drove one that even though it is bigger and heavier, it seemed to turn sharper with less effort. It wasn't as fun to drive, but an LX or LXi probably aren't either.

Absolutely. Response is the perfect name for how the Malibu handles. The SN isn't nearly as "flickable" or fun to drive IMO. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of a 206 and have a few hundred hours of seat time in Responses of all varieties. I'd take the Response any day.

JohnDoe- Scot because they are really trying to sell to the whole of 3 event- they had Andy for slalom, Rhoni for Trick and Scot for jump and then throw in Becky for the drivers perspective.

Although they are touting the video of the production release of the boat I am guessing the video boat is not what you will see and that they had the hull of the test boat and needed to put some panels in it to take the video... I would guess the interior would be very similar to the 196 styling and quality.

My impressions are that the took the 03-06 rlxi and copied it with some differences, threw in the CC version of Maliview and there ya go! New ski boat. I do want to give them credit for at least coming up with a boat that's different then anything they have done since the 2001 nautique( the model not the year).

I bet the actual product will have a better interior. They might have caught Malibu and Master Craft with their pants down IF it really has a much better slalom wake. It may. Malibu has done great with the LXi and getting it to do what it does, seeing its so big and weighs 2,800 lbs. Who would have thunk a smaller, lighter boat would put out a better wake? Maybe now we will see Malibu come full circle.

I don't think I follow your sarcasm. People that wanted a smaller lighter boat have always had a CB or lx response to buy if they wanted. I see the sv23 cut diamond around for a long time. I don't see how a slalom wake can be much better, and if the cc's is, then they will definitely have to give up a lot on the barefooting end (the current 196 is bad enough), and since the sv23 is really the best barefooting wake (other than ski pros and sanger, which don't slalom well, in the ski pros case, at all) why would Malibu change anything?

If Malibu can make a great slalom wake with the 2800 lb LXi, then I would think they could really do something really great if they wanted to make a smaller 3 event boat, but they don't. I hope the new SN blows Malibu away so Malibu will be forced back into that market. As far as BF, isn't Sanger the boat of choice?

I still don't think I follow you. Forced into what market? If you want a smaller 3 event boat, buy a CB repsonse or LX.

As for barefoot, sanger is probably preferred, but they're not pulling the crossover market like 'bu. The point isn't whether sanger is preferred, it's whether malibu would change it's hull design which would likely require the alienation of barefooters like CC and MC have inadvertently done. Bottom line, few barefooters will buy that 200, many will buy a rlxi, however.

I applaude Correct Craft for improving their small 3 event boat. Malibu may still make the Response, but it hasn't been updated in years, nor even presented in the brochure, giving the impression that they are letting it die on the vine. If the new SN has been improved and is perceived to be the best slalom boat out there, I'm sure Malibu will quickly try to out do them, and that may mean an improved version of the Response, which I'm sure they can do. They'll finally put some R&D into a traditional boat. I've owned Malibu since 1992 and have been a great promoter of their boats, but for the past few years have been disappointed at their new lines because they aren't doing anything with the kind of boat that I like.

As far as barefooting goes, we're not barefooters, although my kids just bought a boom for our Sporty. My friends that are footers and die hard SN people say the current SN196 is not a very good barefoot boat.

"They'll finally put some R&D into a traditional boat"? What about the fxi? 20 feet, open bow, brand new 3 event boat. I'm not saying not to give CC props, I'm just not following how why you've been disappointed in Malibu's offerings given that they make 4 3 event models, and in the last 3 years have reworked their "star" in the lxi (new hull and interior) AND release an all new 20 foot ddrive. How can you not be happy with that? In my opinion, it was clearly the SN 200 trying to catch Malibu, not the other way around. Heck Malibu designed AND reworked the rlxi in half the time it took correct craft to make any change to the 196 or release a new model. Advantage: Malibu, IMHO.

As for your friends who barefoot, they would be correct. Pull them with your sporty!

The FXi is hardly a traditional 3 event boat. It's a 20' boat, but it's got a 98" beam & has an incredible amount of freeboard by comparison. It's also not offered in a CB configuration, only an OB walkthrough. 88 is just saying that the innovations that they've brought to the table have all been for larger, heavier boats - things that he's not interested in. The Sporty is gone, & the Response CB/LX hasn't been updated at its hull in over 10 years.

I know what 88 is saying, I'm disagreeing because there is not a company out there which has devoted the resources to developing the small direct drive market more than Malibu. Correct Craft has created ONE boat catering to this market in 8 years, and NO improvements to their others in the segment (196 and 206). If there's one company who has ignored that segment of recent times, it is, ironically, Correct Craft. In that same time Malibu created the rlxi, completely redid it and the hull, and then created the fxi. And while the fxi may not look like a mid 90s prostar, it is very much a 3 event boat. If not, then Tige doesn't even make a 3 event boat as its 20' x 96". I'm going to go out on a limb and think that Galaxytoad would say that he considered his 20i a 3 event boat, so it is just as fair to call the fxi a 3 eventer. If 88 didn't like the new Malibu models, that's OK, everyone has their tastes, I'm just pointing out that Malibu has hardly been resting on their laurels when it comes to attacking this very specialized market segment which is the gist of what he was saying.

"Traditional 3 event" means different things to different people. For some who spent a lot of time in 2001s (the model not the year), an fxi looks a lot more traditionl from a freeboard perpestive than a response or 03-06 lxi. For newer generations, they're more used to a low slung look. What matters isn't as much what it looks like but how it skis, and the fxi, from a 3 event skiability perspective is undisputably outstanding.

Very true on all points, just keep in mind that not everyone in the market wants bigger even if it is the current trend. The current 3-event models are huge by comparison & not everyone likes that. I personally think that we could see the Response CB/LX disappear from Malibu's lineup in 2010 (along with the Vride) & magically see new models show up in the Axis lineup. Nothing from Malibu to base that on though, just something that I suspect will happen.

The Fxi looks like a high performance mini van. I think Malibu has focused on making all their boats family boats, and that has to have caused trade offs in performance. Malibu is a great company. I'm just giving Correct Craft a compliment because they are still making the sort of boat I like.

I don't know that I'd say that they're making all of their boats family boats, but they're making all of their boats appeal to the majority of the market. I don't believe that they have to sacrifice performance to do that & obviously you can argue that the new boats perform on par or better than the older smaller boats. But unfortunately for you 88, you're not part of that mass market that they're going for.

I think that to survive the next few years & to maintain anywhere close to the growth that they've experienced, all of the manufacturers are going to need to adopt this strategy. If not, the word "downsize" will be a massive understatement.

I don't know that I'd say that they're making all of their boats family boats, but they're making all of their boats appeal to the majority of the market. I don't believe that they have to sacrifice performance to do that & I believe that you can argue that the new boats perform on par or better than the older smaller boats. But unfortunately for you 88, you're not part of that mass market that they're going for.

I think that to survive the next few years & to maintain anywhere close to the growth that they've experienced, all of the manufacturers are going to need to adopt this strategy. If not, the word downsizing will be a massive understatement.

I've never been part of any mass for some reason. Dontknow.gif

On the flip side of it you could say that Correct Craft is increasing the size of the 196 and making their flagship boat an open bow. They're only making the CB deck to satisfy the few remaining dinosaurs.

The Fxi looks like a high performance mini van. I think Malibu has focused on making all their boats family boats, and that has to have caused trade offs in performance. Malibu is a great company. I'm just giving Correct Craft a compliment because they are still making the sort of boat I like.

A rlxi, at 20.5 feet long and despite plenty of freeboard, is as high a performing boat as there as ever been in history. Period. I spend 90% of my time in a rlxi and CB response. There is absolutely no trade off in 3 event performance in the rlxi. In fact, in many ways it skis superior. My point is that Malibu not only makes a boat that should appeal to your needs, but is in fact responsible for spurring the category. Just out of curioscity 88, have you driven a rlxi or fxi? What is the kind of boat you like? If it's a high performing world class 3 event boat, malibu has 4 offerings, Correct Craft has 4 now as well, although you would be hard pressed to find anyone even the most loyal CC fanatics, to say that the 206 skis nearly as well as the lxi or fxi. 88, I'm not saying you should like any of Malibu's offerings, everyone has their own taste, but just wanted to point out that Malibu makes several boats which meet your needs.

I like a closed bow ski boat like the Sporty, CB Response of the 196SN. I have not driven an LXi or an FXi, although have been invited a number of times to drive whatever all I want. Unfortunately, I just haven't had the time. I have driven a CB Response and an 09 196SN. I actually like the way my Sporty drives the best. Contrary to Ski6 above, I thought the 196 actually steered sharper with less effort than the Sporty, although I wasn't in a course and was on a foreign body of water and it may have not been a good comparison. It was no where near as fun to drive as my Sporty. Back to the subject matter, I still find it exciting that Correct Craft is building a new boat and is touting it as a 3 event boat.

JohnDoe are you a dealer?

88, so basically what you're saying is you like the fact that a new closed bow is coming to market? If so, that's cool. My guess is that more the 90% of these new SN 200s will be open bow for the same reason people buy rlxis over CB responses. If you 're choosing between 2 world class 3 event boats and one is an open bow, most just prefer the open bow, especially when the skiability is exceptional AND the boat they'll see in tourneys is the open bow.

88, take someone up on their offer to let you drive a rlxi. It WILL blow you away that it's a 20.5 ft boat with an open bow, unlike the SN 206 which, in fact, drives and skis like a "family" boat. What's most telling is the personal boats of Malibu's team skiers. They all get the rlxi. This is all coming from someone who has had a nautique, OB repsonse, CB response, and lxi.

Not a dealer. Just a man familiar with the offerings from all the companies and too many opinions thereon.

JohnDoe and 88. Couldn't resist any longer. For what it's worth, some say Beauty is only skin deep but Ugly goes right to the bone. Malibu's have that balance of style with substance which, for me, is what makes them the better boat. I believe all boats are a compromise, and I'll never be good enough a skier to test the capabilities of either the rlxi or CC. So, I say if you gotta ski ugly, you might as well be doin it behind the better looking boat.

88, take someone up on their offer to let you drive a rlxi. It WILL blow you away that it's a 20.5 ft boat with an open bow, unlike the SN 206 which, in fact, drives and skis like a "family" boat. What's most telling is the personal boats of Malibu's team skiers. They all get the rlxi. This is all coming from someone who has had a nautique, OB repsonse, CB response, and lxi.

Are you talking about a 03-06 RLXi or the 07+ model? I've put the 07+ model through the course hundreds of times and to say there is no sacrifice in handling/driveability is kidding yourself. Skis amazing? Yes, agree. Roomy? Amazingly so. Driving it blows me away? No thanks!

Very true on all points, just keep in mind that not everyone in the market wants bigger even if it is the current trend. The current 3-event models are huge by comparison & not everyone likes that. I personally think that we could see the Response CB/LX disappear from Malibu's lineup in 2010 (along with the Vride) & magically see new models show up in the Axis lineup. Nothing from Malibu to base that on though, just something that I suspect will happen.

I was up at Loudon a while back at the factory open house. I was informed there that Axis is gone for good. Also, you are absolutely right, not everybody wants a bigger boat. Hope they keep the Response CB and LX around.

Are you talking about a 03-06 RLXi or the 07+ model? I've put the 07+ model through the course hundreds of times and to say there is no sacrifice in handling/driveability is kidding yourself. Skis amazing? Yes, agree. Roomy? Amazingly so. Driving it blows me away? No thanks!

I split time between an '05 lxi and '05 CB response. I can't tell any measurable handling difference betwene the boats and skiing-wise, they're very similar, and argubaly the rlxi is better at slower speeds. I've skied a cut diamond rlxi and driven briefly, I could not tell any difference between the cut and "regular" diamond. If you don't prefer the handling characteristics of a rlxi to your nautique, that's cool, but for 88 the comparsion should really be between a CB response and lxi since they're on essentially the same hull. Implicitly, I take 88 to say that he's happy with the handling of small dds. I'm just saying that the rlxi is not a step backward in any performance category, in my opinion. I do find that the CB response will run about 1mph faster, but both are plenty fast for anyone's trick and slalom barefoot runs.

M3, were you commenting on the SN205 comparison? Would you contend that the 205 handles anything close to an lxi? Everyone has their criteria for "handling". Of most importance to me is the radius of the rurn needed to get a fallen skier in the course. The lxi, at idle (to the right, only) turns on top of itself. It doesn't get any better than that in my opinion.

Edited by JohnDoe

I own an 04 RLXi and use it on open water mostly. I love how this boat drives and skis. In the 3 tournaments we have participated in this summer we have yet to see a Malibu. We practice regularly behind a 196 and also love it. The greatest advantage I see to the 196 is the short windshield. The driver can drive up to the skier after he has dropped and talk to him without talking through a windshield. In my RLXI I have to stand over the windshield to talk to the skier. It looks like the windshield in the new 200 comes back too far much like the RLXI. I know it sounds picky but it is an inconvenience. I am less interested in the 200 bc of the long windshield. My 2 cents.

I was up at Loudon a while back at the factory open house. I was informed there that Axis is gone for good. Also, you are absolutely right, not everybody wants a bigger boat. Hope they keep the Response CB and LX around.

??????

I own an 04 RLXi and use it on open water mostly. I love how this boat drives and skis. In the 3 tournaments we have participated in this summer we have yet to see a Malibu. We practice regularly behind a 196 and also love it. The greatest advantage I see to the 196 is the short windshield. The driver can drive up to the skier after he has dropped and talk to him without talking through a windshield. In my RLXI I have to stand over the windshield to talk to the skier. It looks like the windshield in the new 200 comes back too far much like the RLXI. I know it sounds picky but it is an inconvenience. I am less interested in the 200 bc of the long windshield. My 2 cents.

That's a characteristic I like alot better with my Skier than the Sportster. The Skier has a very short windshield.