Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

power wedge would

So are at lake powell, and after a session go to put up the wedge and no go. It was about half way up already and would not go up. I pushed the down button and it went all the way down then and stayed there!!!! Freaking out I called the dealer and they said to pull out the fuse to check it. I did that and it was not popped. I then messed with a few wires and it then went up. My question is has anyone been in this position and ultimately if it did not go up what could I have done. Can you manually raise a power wedge? I know there is a modual that controls the wedge, is it wise to carry a spare, to the tune of $259? I know it is a warranty item but if it is stuck down and we do a lot of long weekend trips I don't want to get screwed. thx

The wedge will not go up unless you are moving. I was sitting on the lake this last weekend and it would not go up, I had to put it in gear so the wedge would stow.

I'm not sure, but, I think I read that you can pull the pins on the actuators and let them hang, and then tie up the foil as a worst case scenario.

Anybody know for sure?

So are at lake powell, and after a session go to put up the wedge and no go. It was about half way up already and would not go up. I pushed the down button and it went all the way down then and stayed there!!!! Freaking out I called the dealer and they said to pull out the fuse to check it. I did that and it was not popped. I then messed with a few wires and it then went up. My question is has anyone been in this position and ultimately if it did not go up what could I have done. Can you manually raise a power wedge? I know there is a modual that controls the wedge, is it wise to carry a spare, to the tune of $259? I know it is a warranty item but if it is stuck down and we do a lot of long weekend trips I don't want to get screwed. thx

This happened to me, and it was a bad seal in one of the rams that caused water to get and corrode everything. Hopefully that's not the case with yours, but manually tying it up was what I had to do. Remove the pins on the rams and bungee the foil up Whistling.gif it sucks but you can get around faster and still handle at higher speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

So my power wedge stuck in the down position this weekend. We had to put in back on the trailers, start the engine. Then crawl underneath and manually turn the paddle wheel to trick the boat into thinking that it was moving through water. Then we were able to put it up. I also noticed that I did not have a odometer reading....so, I am guessing that my paddle wheel is stuck or something. Anyone have this issues and how was it solved?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same exact situation with the wedge ending up stuck in the down position. (08 LXi) What "Wires' did you mess with to get it to go up and what did you mean by "Messed". I removed the black and the white wedge wires and refastened them. (only did that to jump around module to manually raise wedge) Fuse was not tripped. Wedge still would not raise using the up button.

What is the $259.00 module you described. My dealer won't discuss anything that I can do myself. If the module fix's the issue I'll gladly pay for it to get back a functional boat. My previous malibu had bad treatment each dealer visit, so I want to avoid that trip if at all possible.

thanks Jeff

So my power wedge stuck in the down position this weekend. We had to put in back on the trailers, start the engine. Then crawl underneath and manually turn the paddle wheel to trick the boat into thinking that it was moving through water. Then we were able to put it up. I also noticed that I did not have a odometer reading....so, I am guessing that my paddle wheel is stuck or something. Anyone have this issues and how was it solved?

Please read my reply to previous post Tomfish in Post #8

I have the same current issue with wedge stuck in down position and have reasons for not wanting to visit dealer. My paddle wheel functions perfectly as do speed gauges.

Have you found a permanent fix yet?

thanks Jeff

Are you saying that you started the engine with the boat on the trailer, out of the water? Please tell me that I'm reading that wrong.

Are you saying that you started the engine with the boat on the trailer, out of the water? Please tell me that I'm reading that wrong.

Whats wrong with starting the boat on the trailer??? I must be missing something here?

Are you kidding? It needs water to cool the engine. How long did you run it?

It was not my original post,

Sorry, I was just asking you what was wrong with running it on the trailer as I assumed everyone with an inboard engine of recent vintage would have a hose hook-up for the numerous needs, tests and attention that inboards require. (something as simple as changing oil that is warmed to running temp). Also, many people order closed cooling systems if they boat in less than ideal water conditions or salt water so I assumed one of these was the case.

Hopefully they had a water cooling source!

I'm still having issues with the wedge sticking in full deploy position.

Thanks Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey

The boat does not need to be on to move the wedge on the trailer. Just need to remove the paddle wheel or get under the boat and spin the wheel. I've seen it done.

Edited by 06vlx
Are you kidding? It needs water to cool the engine. How long did you run it?

It was not my original post,

Sorry, I was just asking you what was wrong with running it on the trailer as I assumed everyone with an inboard engine of recent vintage would have a hose hook-up for the numerous needs, tests and attention that inboards require. (something as simple as changing oil that is warmed to running temp). Also, many people order closed cooling systems if they boat in less than ideal water conditions or salt water so I assumed one of these was the case.

Hopefully they had a water cooling source!

I'm still having issues with the wedge sticking in full deploy position.

Thanks Jeff

Sorry, I didn't see that it wasn't your post.

You're right, but it sounded by his post that he pulled it up the ramp then started it up. I could be wrong, but it sounded baaaaaaaad.

Closed cooling doesn't solve all of it, you still need a raw water source for the heat exchanger & exhaust cooling.

You are not reading it wrong. Put the boat on the trailer, attached my flush hose, started the engine, crawled underneath and then spun the paddlewheel to trick the boat and the computer that controls the Wedge into thinking that the boat was moving. Then with an individual in the boat (while I was underneath spinning the paddle wheel, they pushed the up button and Yippe....it went up.

Turns out my issue was with the paddlewheel not the Wedge. The Paddlewheel was damaged and therefore no speed reading...therefore the computer thought the boat was stationary and the Wedge will not go up in this scenerio.

After we put the wedge in the up position, we just went out and had a pretty good day albiet without a speedo or perfect pass.