Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help getting “air” while wakeboarding?

MalibuNation

MalibuNation

Awhile back I posted about a big guy getting up and got great advice here and now I’m a good teacher … as far as getting up on a wakeboard.

I can cross both wakes … I can even do … what I do what I think is called a Butter Slide (Ollie?) where I do a 180 at the lip of the wake … certainly not in the air.

I’m right handed and like slalom skiing … I prefer to have my left foot forward. I’ve tried pushing down with the rear foot and lifting with the forward foot at the lip of the wake and I might get an inch of air.

I think part of my problem is I’m a tad bit timid … certainly taken my share of face plants. Watching others it looks so easy … I’ve got the DVD Detention Volume 1 & 2 (The Book wasn’t out when I got Detention) and it looks easy in the DVD.

I might try getting air and letting go of the rope at the same time … I don’t know. Maybe this would give me bad habits.

I’m an avid snow skier and watching people ski for the first time it’s hard for me to fathom how it seems hard for beginners where snow skiing comes so natural for me. Well, I want to get that way with wakeboard. Thanks again.

"Pop" is what you are missing. I'm sure you know about "standing tall" at the wake, but you may not know what that means. Lots of riders will bend their knees and absorb the wake as they go across. Don't do that. You want to stiffen your legs/knees and push off the top of the wake. Try this........take a moderate cut at the wake, keep the board edging away from the boat with your legs/knees held stiff the whole time. Do not change a thing as you cross the wake. You will definitely feel the pop. Once you know what pop feels like and how to get it, you can relax as you approach the wake but don't forget to stiffen at the wake and give a little push as you approach the top of the wake. If you hold the board on edge all the way through the wake and create some line tension, you will get to the other side for sure. Also, make sure you keep the handle on your lead hip with your elbows in.

Edited by skyskier

I had the same problem starting off, and yes it can be slightly scary from the "getting air" perspective. What I learned is timing, you have to approach the wake without fear and learn to get pop. What I do is approach the wake at the speed you feel comfortable at and have your legs slightly bent, once you get in the trough you need to be ready to straighten your legs with really tight line tension.

I now have it figured out but am trying to time it better so that when I'm approaching I try and get more air but still not land in the flats until I get more comfortable landing out there. The landings are much harder on your knees so timing at approaching the wake and speed have been my main focus.

And yes, it's much harder than it looks. You also have learn to control the board with quick reflexes, when trying surface 180's try doing them as quickly as you can because that will help you get into position when landing :)

Good Luck Thumbup.gif

"Pop" is what you are missing. I'm sure you know about "standing tall" at the wake, but you may not know what that means. Lots of riders will bend their knees and absorb the wake as they go across. Don't do that. You want to stiffen your legs/knees and push off the top of the wake. Try this........take a moderate cut at the wake, keep the board edging away from the boat with your legs/knees held stiff the whole time. Do not change a thing as you cross the wake. You will definitely feel the pop.

Yes, and you will want to keep the rope low, around your waist or leading hip. this will help from getting pulled over from the boat when you are in the air. Once you have "the feel" for the pop, you can add your legs and really get some air! Just a reminder. The higher you go, the harder you crash.... so don't crash! Thumbup.gif

post-144-1245339045_thumb.jpg

If youve got your edges down and a decent progressive edge.... This video I though would be pretty helpful showing the different types of jumps. If i remember correctly it was from Learnwake, who normally have decent instructionals.

http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2258

Hope it helps, wish i could help more, but im just a beginner as well just starting to spin. :D

"Pop" is what you are missing. I'm sure you know about "standing tall" at the wake, but you may not know what that means. Lots of riders will bend their knees and absorb the wake as they go across. Don't do that. You want to stiffen your legs/knees and push off the top of the wake. Try this........take a moderate cut at the wake, keep the board edging away from the boat with your legs/knees held stiff the whole time. Do not change a thing as you cross the wake. You will definitely feel the pop. Once you know what pop feels like and how to get it, you can relax as you approach the wake but don't forget to stiffen at the wake and give a little push as you approach the top of the wake. If you hold the board on edge all the way through the wake and create some line tension, you will get to the other side for sure. Also, make sure you keep the handle on your lead hip with your elbows in.

Creating line tension and then converting that energy into pop off the wake is what it is all about.

Creating line tension and then converting that energy into pop off the wake is what it is all about.

Plus1.gif

Keeping the rope tight means stay on edge -- ie, don't flatten out when you come to the wake. You should be on your heels (but not leaning back if that makes sense).

I like to think of wakeboarding at 90% rope management, 10% ability. Unfortunately, I'm not a very good manager.

MalibuNation

Thanks so much ... so far ... I'm having a hard time imagining how to "arc" once I get in the air. I can visualize going up ... but then want the board to eventually point downwards so I don't land on my arse - think I'm visualizing leaning back to far. Heck I can do it snow skiing ... which I've been doing since the 60s.

As far as being timid I'm normally the most fearless person on this planet ... maybe stupidest Whistling.gif

Also try to ollie in the flats. It doesn't have to be huge, just get the feel. You'll get the feel for stiffening your legs and how your body should act when it's in the air and coming down landing.

Focus on making sure your legs are stiff. Weak legs will absorb any potential pop. You have to be agressive. You cannot take a slow lethargic approach to the wake. Set that edge and hold it. You are going to be moving faster through the water on approach to the 'wall'. Build that line tension and don't release it. Don't try to JUMP off the wake. Let the energy of the wake throw you in the air.

Also, when you're learning, don't use the wedge or if you must, in it's full down position. Get your skills down on a rampy wake, then once you can easily go Wake2Wake, add some wedge and you'll go flying!

Take it easy at first. The wake is intimidating. You'll get it. It takes practise and lots of it.

Good luck! (We've all been where you are now)

Edited by CrazyTegger

As others have said its all in the edge and line tension.

try to only go out 10ft or so to start, 10ft is just past were the wash from the boat stops. sit there for just a second and cost till you start to fill the line tension increase. When you feel this slowly turn and pick your angle to the wake, remember a progressive edge doesnt mean increase your angle, just your edge. Pick your angle and get your eyes on the wake, if you can't see it you cant hit it! sit back on the rope like sitting in a chair just a bit at first and show the boat the bottom of your board. (again just a bit at first, till you get better at it) as you get to the wake you feel the a slight drop in the trough, it is this feeling and having your eyes on the wake that will let you know when to stand tall! If you take your time and do all of this slowly you will feel the pop. Start with a one wake jump and go for height instead of distance. Keep the rope low and close to your body, the rope is your only hope to a controlled jump.

hope this helps.

If you can get any video, that would help us help you. All of the posters have said essentially the samething in a different way. The key is holding that progressive edge all the way through the wake. No need to approach the wake with a ton of speed. Just keep the knees stiff and hold that edge and the wake will launch you into the air.

If you can get any video, that would help us help you. All of the posters have said essentially the samething in a different way. The key is holding that progressive edge all the way through the wake. No need to approach the wake with a ton of speed. Just keep the knees stiff and hold that edge and the wake will launch you into the air.

I don't hear anyone saying "flatten out". Do you all stay on edge through the wake and just stay stiff? I thought staing on edge would just slice through the wake.

Yes, stay on edge all the way though the wake. That will cause you to swing in an arc behind the boat..........like a pendulum. It will also give you a nice tight line which is key to getting boosted. Staying on edge causes your board to push against the direction of the boat.

I don't hear anyone saying "flatten out". Do you all stay on edge through the wake and just stay stiff? I thought staing on edge would just slice through the wake.

YES, stay on edge, that is where the "pop" comes from. When you flatten you will most definatly get pulled over the board by the boat.

Unless you are throwin Tantrums or Raleys... don't flatten out.

Also. If you're wanting to take it a bit easy let the line out all the way so if you get 90% across you're not landing on the upslope of the opposite wake. That hurts as much as landing a wake to wake is easy once you've got it down you can bring the rope in short to make the wake to wake distance an easy hop. Then you can move the line out as you get better air and distance with practice.

If you angle the board nose away from the boat you'll slice through the wake. If you grew up skiing that is usually something you need to re-learn. You need to ride UP the wake. Watch the videos, their nose of the board is facing toward the boat. Again, kind of tricky if you are used to chasing the buoys.

P.S. Don't "force it". Getting pop is easy, usually it is more about slowing down and letting the line tension build - as has been discussed at naseau above.

Edited by Hack

Too much info will confuse you (or at least it does me). Keep it simple by remembering the basics.

1. Accelerate into the wake. (no matter how big of a cut you take at it)

2. Pull the handle towards your hip when you leave the wake. (even just a little bit will help)

3. Stand tall at the wake and stiffen your legs. (keep your chin and chest up, don't absorb the wake)

Good luck!

It will feel like you "slice" through the wake if you don't keep you legs stiff. As mentioned earlier, swing out about 10', flatten out, build an edge back to the wake such that you are pulling hardest as you get to the wake, and keep your legs stiff. You'll like the results...

something that may help you while you are trying to get all this to sink in. When you hear some one say "Stand Tall" at the wake, most people when starting out (my self included) think that means jump!. What will happen if you start trying to jump the wake is you will not have your timing right and you will either jump over the wake, or have your knees bent when you need to have them stiff when you hit the wake.

Alot of people have said keep your legs stiff and that is the best term for a newbie to wake jumping. You can feel a real nice pop by just making your legs stiff when hitting the wake, after you start to get your timing right you will start to "Stand Tall". Standing Tall is more just pushing off the wake like you are standing up from sitting in a chair. You wouldnt jump out of a chair, you would just stand up. This is pretty much the action you need to take when your ready.

Edited by txwakejunkie

As far as the standing tall and keeping your legs stiff a common metaphor for this is jumping on the trampoline. Think about when your jumping on the trampoline and how you are Pushing with your legs to get the spring from the trampoline. This is the same action as standing tall and keeping your legs stiff. If you are absorbing the wake you would likely be doing the same on the trampoline.

• 1 month later...
MalibuNation

Bear with me ... I've been thinking. I know you are to hit the wake on your edge and not flat ... should you be leaning back a little and let the rope pull you across the wake? Thanks ... stuck in a rut!

I started boarding this summer. A couple of days ago, I finally had the *click* moment where everything makes sense. Ever since that moment I have been able to go W2W, both sides, no problem AND it's in control. I think the idea of progressive edge is easy to understand but hard for some to put into action. A couple of the things that helpled me:

1. The Book edging drills - I thought I was edging pretty well until I started doing these - I was wrong! It's hard to have a good progressive edge if you can't confidently edge really hard.

2. Cut out and ollie out in the flats, then off the wake into the flats - again from The Book

3. Then try to jump the wake. Once outside the wake, slowy lean harder and harder against the rope (look strait down the rope & lean oppoiste....don't just lean back), then stiff legs at the wake, and keep the rope low to your hip the whole time(can't stress that one enough)

4. If you are riding an oversized inherited board from 1999 like I was - get a new board that fits you....makes a huge difference

At least this is what worked for me.

Bear with me ... I've been thinking. I know you are to hit the wake on your edge and not flat ... should you be leaning back a little and let the rope pull you across the wake? Thanks ... stuck in a rut!

Think of the rope and tower almost like a pendulum; the tower/rope with do the work of pulling you across and back around. You need to edge the board all the way and progressively get faster as you approach the wake (load the line). You should feel a good amount of rope tension and be on edge of the board all the way through the wake.

It's almost impossible not to get air unless you take the wake with your knees really flexed. You do not "jump" when you get to the wake, you stand tall as others have said, build speed as you approach and keep the line "loaded" through the wake. The board is designed to get air but you might land on the upslope of the other wake a few times. That makes for some pretty rough landings.

Once you get it though, you'll find it's not very hard to go w2w, then you might want to try it switched.

GL