Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best ballast set up for 2005 vlx

pdxwake

So i love to wakeboard but i want a bigger wake any recommentdations on additional ballast bags or lead to my 2005 malibu wakesetter vlx. Thanks everybody i would really appreciate some input because ballast is expensive.

Take out your rear hard tanks and put in the FLY HIGH Vdrive sacs set or the 750 bags, and get some lead from pop products and put it under the front seat cushions, I have a 2004 VLX and have 300 in lead in the front and I dont use the wedge, some prefer it some dont, your hull is different than mine though. Good luck

Take out your rear hard tanks and put in the FLY HIGH Vdrive sacs set or the 750 bags, and get some lead from pop products and put it under the front seat cushions, I have a 2004 VLX and have 300 in lead in the front and I dont use the wedge, some prefer it some dont, your hull is different than mine though. Good luck

Do you have the above floor tanks? I think his has the under floor tanks. I would go with 750s in the rear lockers and some kind of bow sac. Here

Do you have the above floor tanks? I think his has the under floor tanks. I would go with 750s in the rear lockers and some kind of bow sac. Here

i have below floor tanks can you put a 750lb bag on top of that and i heard or rumors of placing a 550lb sac inbetween the driver and passenger seat instead of the bow sac which do you recommend

i have below floor tanks can you put a 750lb bag on top of that and i heard or rumors of placing a 550lb sac inbetween the driver and passenger seat instead of the bow sac which do you recommend

I suppose you could put a sac there, but I would put it up front just to get it out of the way. You would also get more weight toward the nose to bring it down. That will help shape the wake better. I'm hoping to put the factory ballast up there next year, although it's pretty pricy. One of the guys on here did a great tutorial of it on here.

I suppose you could put a sac there, but I would put it up front just to get it out of the way. You would also get more weight toward the nose to bring it down. That will help shape the wake better. I'm hoping to put the factory ballast up there next year, although it's pretty pricy. One of the guys on here did a great tutorial of it on here.

cause i have the stock ballast in the bow not sure if i should put more up their or toward the middle front of the boat

cause i have the stock ballast in the bow not sure if i should put more up their or toward the middle front of the boat

If you have stock ballast, you might be good, but I would use people ballast to see if it's going to make a difference that matters before getting a bag up there. There is always the Open Bow Sac that's 1000 lbs, but that might be overkill.

Yes yes yes. That hull loves weight up front. It will add "meat" to the wake & make it much firmer (all puns & joking aside). With that hull if you add more to the rear, it will make the wake peakier but you'll be punching through the top. Weight up front will make the top of the wake thicker & firmer. Try it. Biggrin.gif