Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why does my motor have less power then my friends?

Recently skied behind my friends 99 Response LX and noticed that it has significantly more power then my 00 Response LX. Our engines are both supposed to be Monsoon 325's, and we both have the same setup in regards to onboard weight (tower, extra stereo equipment, 2 batteries, etc.).

Both boats seem to sound the same, but he has much more power getting a skier out of the water. I have tried a couple of his props and still cannot replicate his power.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Is there a way to find out exactly what motor each of us have? We both thought we had Monsoon 325's, but both purchased from Private sellers.

Thank you

Darren

Recently skied behind my friends 99 Response LX and noticed that it has significantly more power then my 00 Response LX.  Our engines are both supposed to be Monsoon 325's, and we both have the same setup in regards to onboard weight (tower, extra stereo equipment, 2 batteries, etc.).

Both boats seem to sound the same, but he has much more power getting a skier out of the water.  I have tried a couple of his props and still cannot replicate his power.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Is there a way to find out exactly what motor each of us have?  We both thought we had Monsoon 325's, but both purchased from Private sellers.

Thank you

Darren

Something that I've seen discussed over the years is that engines coming out of even the same run can vary a lot in how much power they put out. I've seen people say that it can vary by as much as 15% either way. Now if that's true, & if you figure that your friend's Response was 15% more powerful than what Indmar claims & possibly yours is 15% less powerful then there's your answer - a net difference of 30% in power. Personally, I don't believe that there's nearly that much variation out of the crate, but differences in how an engine has been treated over its life & especially how it was broken in could make big differences in its capabilities down the road.

Always eliminate the easy things first. I would pull the engine ID and/or serial numbers on both boat engines and then go to Indmar's web site to see if they were the same HP rating. Same block, same displacement engine can have big HP difference depending on set up. If that is not available on their website, call Indmar. You can usually talk to a live person there if you are patient and suck up a litttle Biggrin.gif . I was very pleasantly surprised to talk live to an Indmar rep (after exchanging 2-3 emails) to figure out the crossover between the Johnson impeller they use and the Globe impeller that I want to use.

the weak engine vs strong engine that tracy mentioned is true, although I am not sure if i believe the extremes either. i do know that my '00 response is not as strong as my '99 was, both with the 325 monsoon. it had more top end (2 mph), and was definetly a better hole shot.

Someone I know very closely named "Remoob" broke in his '05 VLX using the PCM procedure, not the "baby it" Indmar process.

His engine runs great, is smooth, and burns no oil.

Thank you all for the help, I will keep this string updated with anything I do to solve my "short man's syndrome", for lack of a better term.

Darren