Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Constant beeping!

I've run out of tricks in my bag to try and figure this out, so time to turn to the experts...

Last weekend towards the end of the day, during a run pulling a kneeboarder at about 20mph, the under dash beeper started beeping. All the gauges were still in normal operating range and the engine still sounded normal. I shut things down and did a quick once over, and couldn't find anything wrong. After a few starts with the same beep but no other symptoms, we packed it in and headed home.

Its a 2000 Sunsetter LX with a Monsoon 320 (EFI)

Things I've checked:

oil pressure switch (still beeped when disconnected and shorted)

trans temp switch (still beeped when disconnected)

safety lanyard

trans fluid level

oil level

unplugged and replugged cannon plug, all three large relays in back, both engine computer plugs

did a once over by the engine and under the dash for loose gnds

swapped the two relays that are the same

unplugged the fuel pump (still beeped when disconnected)

Only other "symptom" is a slight fuel pump whine back in the driveway during the checks above. I couldn't find any info on the engine computer to search how to find if it was throwing a fault code...

Am I missing something?

My next thoughts are to somehow read the computer to see if its got a fault code (any way to do this other than towing the boat to a repair shop?) or maybe replace the fuel pump.

Thanks,

Brian

I've got the same thing going in my '06 xti. I've found if I futz with the wires under the dash, the beeping stops. It seems like I have a loose connection, but for the life of me I can't find it. It seems to stop for a while and if I hit a roller particularly hard, it starts again.

If I figure out what it is this weekend, I'll let you know.

I had the same problem a few years ago...check you fuses...I had an in line fuse that went bad.

I tried everything that you did and it ended up being a 79 cent fuse. Good luck!

We have an intermittent problem like that, but it's because the depth guage can't penetrate our murky water. It regesters .6 ft and beeps even when it's set to not beep at us. Did you check the depth?

Only four things should make your beeper go on. Low oil pressure (via the switch), high tranny temp (via its switch), high coolant temp (via the sensor for the computer), and a diagnostics trouble code. The beeper is turned on by the computer by completing the circuit to ground in the computer. Since you checked two of the four things that trigger the beeper, you can run a diagnostics check on the computer. If your coolant temp sensor is bad, it will show up in diagnostics. I bumped the thread up for a do it yourself diagnosics check if you are willing to try that.

Edit; I know nothing about a depth gauge. Does it have its own beeper, or does it also trigger the beeper under the dash?

Edited by electricjohn
Only four things should make your beeper go on. Low oil pressure (via the switch), high tranny temp (via its switch), high coolant temp (via the sensor for the computer), and a diagnostics trouble code. The beeper is turned on by the computer by completing the circuit to ground in the computer. Since you checked two of the four things that trigger the beeper, you can run a diagnostics check on the computer. If your coolant temp sensor is bad, it will show up in diagnostics. I bumped the thread up for a do it yourself diagnosics check if you are willing to try that.

Edit; I know nothing about a depth gauge. Does it have its own beeper, or does it also trigger the beeper under the dash?

Yes, mine is hooked to the computer. I had the same thing happen in some funky water we got into and it also gets set off with lots of plant life in certain situations but you'll see the alert and depth reading if it's your depth gauge. It only happens to me every once in a while and when we got back into more clear water it goes away.

I would follow electricjohn's suggestion and have the computer checked

Edited by 68Slalom

Sorry...I didn't explain myself well enough, I was sending it via my blackberry. A blown fuse in the line was sending the wrong signal back to my mmdc and caused them beeping...I changed the oil pressure sending unit but didn't check the fuse in the line.

You stated in your original post that the oil pressure switch still beeped when disconnected and shorted. To test the switch, you don't want to short the wire. Did you try just leaving the wire disconnected from the switch to see if that solved the problem? If the problem is in the switch, the alarm will go away when you disconnect the switch and leave it disconnected. Easy fix too since I found a replacement at the local Napa auto parts.

You stated in your original post that the oil pressure switch still beeped when disconnected and shorted. To test the switch, you don't want to short the wire. Did you try just leaving the wire disconnected from the switch to see if that solved the problem? If the problem is in the switch, the alarm will go away when you disconnect the switch and leave it disconnected. Easy fix too since I found a replacement at the local Napa auto parts.

Good point!

If fuel pump whines change your filters first before messing with the pump.....These pumps sure whine if they are working and not getting a lot of fuel.

Not sure about the beep......

My depth finder has a separate beep, and that's not it...

The beep still happens with the oil pressure sensor wire disconnected and loose (not shorted). I read in various posts to try both open and shorted. My original post was supposed to say I tried both, but I can see how that wasn't clear.

CLOUT1, where is the fuse you are talking about?

I will try the LED / paperclip code reader method this weekend. I'm also going to check the fuel filters to see if I can't get the fuel filter whine to go away.

Thanks!

I tried the LED / paperclip method and got some strange results. The LED came on as soon as I plugged it into terminals E and F. When I switched the ignition on and shorted A and B, the LED stayed on (constant, no flash). I could hear the IAC move but that's all that happened...

The only wires feeding into the DLC are as follows:

A: black

B: white

E: brown with white stripe

F: orange

G: orange with black stripe

K: black wire to the cap (also K on the cap). I assume that is just there to hold the cap to the connector.

I thought about moving the throttle to 100% and back to reset the code, but don't want to erase an important code if there is something serious wrong.

I found a bunch of trouble codes, but that all contain flashes and pauses, nothing about constant on...

Any other ideas????

Thanks!

Odd. Your wire colors are the same as mine except I also have a yellow wire in terminal H, it is the master/slave terminal and goes directly to the ECM. Evidently a feature they add betwwen 2000 and 2004. The IAC moving is normal. You could try calling Indmar's tech support or PM member engine nut. He is a customer service rep from Indmar.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, more info but still no solution...

I figured out that with all the sensors disconnected and the DLC jumpered to diagnostic mode, the computer flashes the "no trouble code" sequence. When I take it out of diagnostic mode (remove the jumper) it starts the regular alarm beep (original problem) even with the other three sources of "beeps" are disconnected. If I attach the oil pressure sensor wire in diagnostic mode, the all clear code turns into the constant beep and the LED stays on constant. I though perhaps the oil pressure sensor might be messed up, so I got a new one with the same result...

I started undoing some of the wiring harness tape and covering to see if there was a short but everything is done up so tight in there I stopped before I had wires everywhere...

One last thing I checked was the resistance of the oil pressure sensor wire wrt to ground which was open (as I would expect). I also checked to see if there was voltage on it while it was beeping and there was ~10V when the LED was off (again in diagnostic mode)??? In normal mode, there's no voltage yet there's still a beep.

I was happy that there were no codes on the computer, so if I don't get it figured out tomorrow, I think I'm going to the lake Sunday and disconnecting the beeper :( Will pay extra close attention to the oil pressure and temp though.

Any thoughts???

Are you sure you disconnected the transmission temp sender?

And you disconnected the oil pressure switch to the ecm, not the sender that runs the gauge, right?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Took some friends out Saturday night for a moonlight spin after dinner, fired her up just fine, oil pressure, gas, water temp, everything checks-- so why does the key alarm keep sounding throughout the pleasure cruise?

On Sunday I found out why.

The wiring to my oil pressure swtch had corroded and lost connectivity-- ergo-- the constant beeping alarm.

I snipped the wire, re-crimped a ring fitting, re-attached and no more beeps.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else suffers the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack, but I have a similar issue. Mine just started beeping recently but it only lasts for about 10-15 seconds and only when the engine is cold and as soon as it gets to about 140 the beeping stats, then like I said stops after10-15 seconds. If I shut the motor off after a ski run and it is warm, the beeping never starts back up. Seems mine is only beeping at me when getting to operating temps and then stops....weird.

I've run out of tricks in my bag to try and figure this out, so time to turn to the experts...

Last weekend towards the end of the day, during a run pulling a kneeboarder at about 20mph, the under dash beeper started beeping. All the gauges were still in normal operating range and the engine still sounded normal. I shut things down and did a quick once over, and couldn't find anything wrong. After a few starts with the same beep but no other symptoms, we packed it in and headed home.

Its a 2000 Sunsetter LX with a Monsoon 320 (EFI)

Things I've checked:

oil pressure switch (still beeped when disconnected and shorted)

trans temp switch (still beeped when disconnected)

safety lanyard

trans fluid level

oil level

unplugged and replugged cannon plug, all three large relays in back, both engine computer plugs

did a once over by the engine and under the dash for loose gnds

swapped the two relays that are the same

unplugged the fuel pump (still beeped when disconnected)

Only other "symptom" is a slight fuel pump whine back in the driveway during the checks above. I couldn't find any info on the engine computer to search how to find if it was throwing a fault code...

Am I missing something?

My next thoughts are to somehow read the computer to see if its got a fault code (any way to do this other than towing the boat to a repair shop?) or maybe replace the fuel pump.

Thanks,

Brian

Not sure if this helps, but was having similar problem when running the stereo and everything. Similar checks done and found that the regulator was having intermitant shorts and was drawing the batteries, which are now replaced, and causing the beeps from the voltage gauge. Had the alternator rebuilt and now the beeping is gone. Just a thought. Best of luck.

Nathan

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...