Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulling speedo tubes

Ok, those of you who regularly pull your speedo tubes off the control panel under the dash. What do you use to pull them off? Brute force looks like it might end up costing me a new control panel after I break something off. Not sure squirting WD-40 up under there is ok? Soap and water? I need to blow some air down them me thinks. Both speedos don't work, regardless of the which pickup I select. I've tried cleaning out the pickups. Oh...'99 sunsetter. Thanks guys.

I usually just lift the plugged pitot tube to the up position, then slap it down hard. This usually clears the blockage. I'll do this several times to get it cleared out.

If that doesn't work, then I'll use a straightened out paper clip and push it in from the bottom of the tube, or I'll pull the hose off the top and shove the clip in from the top.

I'll also attach a small hose to the top of the pitot tube and blow into it. I've never had a tube stay plugged from all of that.

Good luck.

I can't say I pull them off regularly, but I have pulled them off.

They plastic tubes were 'stuck' to the nipple they hook to. I used a pair of electrical pliers (like needle nose, but a little wider) and GENTLY twisted them back and forth, a little at a time, without pulling down on them. Once you break the grip the plastic has on the nipple, they will slide right off.

The key is to work them loose BEFORE pulling down, or you may damage the tubing, or worse yet, the nipple on the bottom of that expensive part they hook to. Take your time, they will come off.

Mine were secured with some wire ties. Take those off first, of course.

Worse case, if you don't bust the plastic nipple, is you could use a sharp utility knife and cut the plastic tubing. Then use that same knife to 'peel' the old tubing off the nipple, then re attach. You should only lose a 1/2" max of the tubing, and I don't think they cut them to such a tolerance that you would not be able to reconnect them. Check first, of course.

I used to have to clean the pitots out all the time on my MC. I just used a paper clip & it usually worked. After cleaning them about 9 billion times I replaced them with the self clearing pitots sold by Skidim.com. They stayed clear way better & cleaned out easily with just a quick burst in reverse with the throttle.

Ok, those of you who regularly pull your speedo tubes off the control panel under the dash. What do you use to pull them off? Brute force looks like it might end up costing me a new control panel after I break something off. Not sure squirting WD-40 up under there is ok? Soap and water? I need to blow some air down them me thinks. Both speedos don't work, regardless of the which pickup I select. I've tried cleaning out the pickups. Oh...'99 sunsetter. Thanks guys.

Guys...he's talking about pulling the tubes off under the dash.

Thanks RTS. I went with the electrical plier approach and some praying and I got them off without breaking anything. There was some sort of obstruction in the tubes themselves, at least I think so, but I'm good now.

The pickups were already cleaned out, but I am considering changing them to the self clearing model. What does Skidim mean by "PETOT WILL FIT OLD AIRGUIDE HOLES WITH SLIGHT MODIFICATION"? Has anyone done this. How slight is the modification?

What does Skidim mean by "PETOT WILL FIT OLD AIRGUIDE HOLES WITH SLIGHT MODIFICATION"? Has anyone done this. How slight is the modification?

As I recall only 2 of the screw holes fit the old AirGuide holes. I had to drill a new hole on each pitot. Then I caulked all the holes with silicone when I installed the screws.

The holes on the new venturi pickups from skidim just need to be elongated a little with a drill bit, then they will line up with the two bottom holes from the old Airguide pitots.

Guys...he's talking about pulling the tubes off under the dash.

Yea, got that, but why? The blockage rarely goes up to the dash.. it is down at the pickup, or just up inside the pickup. Try all that stuff before getting under the dash.