Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Boat Accident on the Chain

Jimmypooh

Its rediculous how many boating accidents are on that lake. iI refuse to go there because of it.

Id say the VTX is at fault..

Let see...im sure there was some beer involved... and everybody knows its only cool to tear out of those sand bars like an animal let out of a cage. If you dont have it pinned, not paying attention, music cranked, trying to grab another beer while singing songs and trying to drive all at the same time your not a "cool boater"

No offense to you guys on the Chain...and those of you that aren't familiar with it...but if stat is correct, it's the busiest body of water in the country.

Bottom line...unless you have a 25 foot deep vee or bigger boat, just asking for trouble on those lakes.

I grew up on 'em and people are just plain nuts...drag boats, cabin cruisers, nearly freakin ocean going vessel sized cruisers. I've seen some crazy things happen on those waters...and that's why I avoid them.

Well..there is one fun spot. Grab some refreshments and go to the IL state park launch off Grass Lake Road. When you see how people act and how they mess up their boats, it's the best comedy you'll ever see. Mix impatience with lack of preparation and a little alcohol and wow...

yeah...a bit spoiled here on Crystal Lake...but local authorities had some sense awhile back and limited wake hours so even the sailboaters and canoers can have some smooth water during daylight hours.

No offense to you guys on the Chain...and those of you that aren't familiar with it...but if stat is correct, it's the busiest body of water in the country.

Bottom line...unless you have a 25 foot deep vee or bigger boat, just asking for trouble on those lakes.

I grew up on 'em and people are just plain nuts...drag boats, cabin cruisers, nearly freakin ocean going vessel sized cruisers. I've seen some crazy things happen on those waters...and that's why I avoid them.

Well..there is one fun spot. Grab some refreshments and go to the IL state park launch off Grass Lake Road. When you see how people act and how they mess up their boats, it's the best comedy you'll ever see. Mix impatience with lack of preparation and a little alcohol and wow...

yeah...a bit spoiled here on Crystal Lake...but local authorities had some sense awhile back and limited wake hours so even the sailboaters and canoers can have some smooth water during daylight hours.

Plus1.gif

No doubt it's nuts on the weekends and I've seen my share of crazy events in the past few decades out here. It is very nice early when we get out and during the week though as there are so many places to go. Just got to be cautious and prepared when you go out in busy times. Unfortunately with boating even if you are aware and safe there can be instances like this one from Jim that can really scare the crap out of ya!!! Lucky no serious injuries here.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this boat accident. I think I mentioned before that there was a ticket issued to the driver of the VTX. Also saw them out over the 4th at the same sand bar. Everyone in the boat had a beer in their hand. I didn't go up to them to see if they were drunk, but in my opinion they should have learned their lesson.

Also saw another accident on the same lake this weekend. This was a slower one, but in my opinion more scary. A 30 ft cruiser was idling out of the sand bar and we hear "Slow down" "put it in neutral". The driver was halfway up on plane in an area like this:

CruserAccident.jpg

She ended up hitting the back of a Fountain (cigarette style boat) and breaking their ladder off. Again luckily there was no one swimming or on the back of that boat to get hurt. When the woman's husband took over her daughter said "Mom, I told you not to drive drunk any more".

What's going on? The cops need to park themselves at that sand bar and start nailing people.

I think I would stay very clear of that area, especially on a busy weekend or holiday.

We're starting to think that way, but it's too bad that a couple bad apples are able to influence me to stay away from such a fun area.

jkendallmsce
Shouldn't the pontoon have yielded since he was going perpendicular to the direction of traffic (and the shorline)?

The pontoon boat has the right of way, same as a car on the street. the vtx cut in front of the pontoon boat, same as a car turning in front of a car on the street. The vtx should have passed the pontoon boat then turned left, rather than cutting in front of the boat.

Since there are no formal/marked lanes out on the water, there are no parallel or perpendicular flow of traffic. You ALWAYS stay to the right of oncoming boats. Probably one of the most basic and common sense (if you think about it) things taught to novice boat drivers.

Another reason/example why folks (boat operators) should take a boating class or 2 (coast guard) to become proficient with boating protocol. Way too many folks buy the boat and have no idea what the rules of the water are. Add in some alcohol and its a wonder more folks are not killed.

I think I would stay very clear of that area, especially on a busy weekend or holiday.

We're starting to think that way, but it's too bad that a couple bad apples are able to influence me to stay away from such a fun area.

Don't kill me but, that doesn't look like a fun area to me. I'd stay way the hell away from any scene like that one.