Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Boat Accident on the Chain

Jimmypooh

We were out cruising the Chain-O-Lakes (Illinois) and saw a boat crash right in front of us on Petite Lake. The crash was between a pontoon and a VTX. We watched it like it was on TV right in front of us and this is what we saw. We were idling coming out of a channel and saw the Pontoon heading straight for the sandbar up on plane across an area that can have pretty regular cross traffic, but didn't have too many boats there at the time. It looked like a 22-24 foot with a 90 horse or less on the back. The VTX started at idle and took off like he was going to pass with the toon on his port (like driving a car) but turned left heading for the channel. The VTX was just getting on plane when they hit. The contact on the VTX was from just before the driver on the starboard side and continued about 8-10 feet down the boat. The contact on the toon was on the front Starboard corner and a little of the play pen only. Durring the collision the VTX was about 3/4 out of the water with only it's back port quarter still in the water because it road up on the toon. There were only 2 people on the toon and they were toward the back. The VTX had 5 people spread out around the boat with no one in the bow. Fortunately no one got hurt. I'm curious to hear if anyone else saw this and what people's opinions are about the incident. I will share my opinion later.

BoatAccident.jpg

Wow, glad no one was hurt. I am always nervous watching someone navigate out of a crowded area of boats when they are half way on plane. Full speed or no speed, but half way on plane limits visibility dramatically.

Yikes. That's pretty bad.

Well first of all a pontoon that long with a 90hp is not going all that fast. We have the same type boat as our second boat and goes only about 25 max with 90hp 4stroke.

I assume the BU was taking a hard left and didn't look to cut in front of the pontoon? It's pretty hard to miss a pontoon boat no matter the reason and to get hit on the starboard side. Just glad it wasn't a jet ski as that person would have likely been killed.

Beer limits visibility and sensibility as well. I'm guessing it was bow rise combined with Bud. I am also guessing the pontoon dude could not turn fast enough to avoid the collision.

That had to be scary, glad nobody was hurt. Hopefully everyone reacted constructively afterwards, those incidents can get way out of control.

Fault on this is a tough one. Given your arrows indicating direction of travel, the VLX driver probably looked left, then right, then hit it to go in the normal traffic pattern. He did not expect someone coming head on. Still, he should have done all of that before accelerating and putting the nose up, impeding his view. And he would have seen the pontoon, especially if it was on plane with sea spray coming off the pontoons. On the pontoon driver, I think it is legal to go perpendicular to counter-clockwise travel to get to the center of the lake, but you do assume some risk. You usually have to keep your eyes peeled pretty good, as opposed to gently "merging" into the clockwise travel and cutting a short corner. I'm guessing they ticketed the VLX operator.

Beer limits visibility and sensibility as well. I'm guessing it was bow rise combined with Bud. I am also guessing the pontoon dude could not turn fast enough to avoid the collision.

That was my thought as well, especially if the 'bu was coming from a party on the sand bar.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone gets reliable information on the outcome of this accident.

If either driver blew over .08 - all bets are off.

But if neither driver was over the limit - then it'll go to Rules of the Road.

And it won't look good for the VLX driver. No matter what - if he claims he didn't turn right in front of the pontoon, he's still going to be at fault.

The vessel on the right has the right of way.

So if he got hit starboard rear quarter - then the pontoon boat was on the VLX driver's right.

Both drivers are responsible for taking immediate action to avoid a collision, but the way it's drawn, the VLX was the give-way vessel and the pontoon was the stand-on vessel.

Glad no one was hurt or killed. Hope it wasn't alcohol that made the accident happen. Also hope that pontoon boat didn't decide to try to miss the VLX by inches, just to make a point.

That was my thought as well, especially if the 'bu was coming from a party on the sand bar.

Plus1.gif VTX driver blew it.

Nice diagram by the way.

Shouldn't the pontoon have yielded since he was going perpendicular to the direction of traffic (and the shorline)?

Edited by CrazyTegger

How did you do the map? Obviously it started with Google Maps, but how'd you add the graphics?

I'd agree with JeffS. Even if the pontoon drive was BUI, from the description, the VTX driver was most likely at fault, so both would get ticketed...

Rules

Pass port to port if approaching head-on (Sound like this is the way it started).

Maintain course if approaching as to pass starboard to starboard.

Boat to starboard should maintain course/direction - other boat must give way. (Based on impact description, this was situation just before/during collision).

Anyhoo - glad nobody was injured. Fiberglass & aluminum are much quicker to repair than injuries.

How did you do the map? Obviously it started with Google Maps, but how'd you add the graphics?

I think it's obvious that the real purpose of this Post was to demonstrate His mad map skills. :)

Sounds to me like the guy driving the VTX is at fault Whistling.gif

Yep, I'd have to agree. The pontoon had the right of way. He may have been driving perpendicular to traffic, but at least his path was predictable. The VTX was driving like a jetskier...... almost.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

First off, and most importantly ;) , I can't take credit for the mad map skills. It's really easy with a tool called snagit 9.

Here is a little more info on what happened. We called the police and waited around for them to come by so we could tell them what happened. Speculation - The VTX driver had been drinking. One girl in his boat was passed out in the back even after the collision. They couldn't wait to get out of there and had no intentions of waiting for the police. The Toon driver knew who one of the passengers in the VTX was, but I didn't get the impression they were very close (I don't think they knew each other's names). The Toon driver seemed relatively calm and collected other then being a little miffed at the situation. The VTX driver was relatively defensive and wanted to "go home and get his license. Unfortunately the Toon driver OKed them to leave after a little while (before the cops got there). When the cops got there we gave them a description of the boat and they left immediately to find them. I haven't found out yet if any citations were involved, but I have a call into the sheriff's office to see if I can find out any more info.

My opinions:

The Toon driver put himself in a somewhat awkward position by driving straight across an area of high travel, although at first it it didn't look very dangerous. He continued to put himself at risk by assuming the right of way would work for him and letting the VTX choose an original (before he turned) course that would have brought them very close to each other. He remained in a straight path the entire episode. That being said, I still put all blame on the driver of the VTX. He did not look before taking off from plane and in my opinion didn't even need to go faster than high idle to get to the channel anyways (the channel is no wake). He was obviously not paying attention, did not see the Toon and did not have the right of way. If there were someone sitting in the front starboard side of the toon, he could have killed them. I hope they were able to catch up to the VTX and give a breathe test.

We will find out soon. I just spoke with a very nice guy at the Lake County marine unit, and they will be calling back when they get all of the statements.

Edit: Included is what seems to be a typical day in this lake from above:

BoatAccidentSat.jpg

Edited by Jimmypooh
Sounds to me like the guy driving the VTX is at fault Whistling.gif

Yep, I'd have to agree. The pontoon had the right of way. He may have been driving perpendicular to traffic, but at least his path was predictable. The VTX was driving like a jetskier...... almost.

Plus1.gif The only exception would be if there were lake specific navigation rules. Since the OP didn't note that then it is pretty clear cut.

Edit: Included is what seems to be a typical day in this lake from above:

BoatAccidentSat.jpg

That picture right there is why I hate the chain and love my little lake in Michigan. That and the fact they mine is 80+ feet deep, I think if you're tall you can walk across most of the chain.

Some people love the chain for all it's restaurants, amenities, etc. I'll stick with fewer boats and drive to the restaurant.

I guess it's good that at least it's open this year. I think it was last summer it was shut down for a good portion of the beginning of the season because of high water.

That picture right there is why I hate the chain and love my little lake in Michigan. That and the fact they mine is 80+ feet deep, I think if you're tall you can walk across most of the chain.

half of the Chain is over 8 feet but, yes the other half is shallow.

Looks like their annual bash is coming up. http://www.funonthefox.com/

Looks like it gives Copper Canyon a run for their money!

That crowded picture is taken at Petite lake. There is a sandbar that everyone gathers at. You can see from the Satellite pictures that it gets packed. There ends up being a channel made of boats and a bunch of people mingling between them (right where the "A" is).

And there is nothing like Fireworks on Fox. They are coming back this year and being launched off the Miniola barge again. Thumbup.gif

Yep, that can be a tough area with the partiers not paying attention. A number of years back I had a young girl driver cut off my ski line to go behind our boat not realizing I was back 60 feet on a slolam ski on Bluff lake by the channel a bit north of there. Pretty exciting on the Chain on the weekends and glad no one was hurt but I figured there must have been alcohol involved before reading further into your post there Jimmy. Glad you got your boat in finally too. We need to get together out there soon now ... but early in the day when it's safe Whistling.gif

Regards,

Mike

That does not look like a place I would want to be boating. Way too many boats. Add alcohol to that mix and the results are not going to be good.

That does not look like a place I would want to be boating. Way too many boats. Add alcohol to that mix and the results are not going to be good.

From a safety prospective, yes, it's not a good place to be unless you are paying very close attention, but it is a lot of fun!!! We don't have any problems. We just don't drink, and assume everyone else does. We stay away from everyone when out there. You get used to it, like driving on the freeway.

From a safety prospective, yes, it's not a good place to be unless you are paying very close attention, but it is a lot of fun!!! We don't have any problems. We just don't drink, and assume everyone else does. We stay away from everyone when out there. You get used to it, like driving on the freeway.

I wouldn't want to drive on the freeway thinking eveyone else is drunk. Shocking.gif

I wouldn't want to drive on the freeway thinking eveyone else is drunk. Shocking.gif

Then what are you doin livin in Cali? Rockon.gif

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Then what are you doin livin in Cali? Rockon.gif

Mariposa is not on the list.

Thumbup.gif

Residents in the following 25 cities were surveyed and are listed in order from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami

2. New York

3. Boston

4. Los Angeles

5. Washington, D.C.

6. Phoenix

7. Chicago

8. Sacramento

9. Philadelphia

10. San Francisco

11. Houston

12. Atlanta