Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pylon a has a little play

Backfooter100

I have a 06 Response LXI used mostly for barefooting and sking.....I have noticed a very small amount of play in the pylon,it almost seems as if the hole in the floor is the culprit...(maybe from repeated use ???????) Looking underneath the floor shows only one bolt holding the pylon in so I am not sure if tightning this bolt will do the trick.

I have seen a few threads on this but not a lot of feedback.....any thoughts or am I worring about nothing???

Thanks for any and all comments

The bolt actually keeps the pylon from lifting up. The bottom of the pylon is tapered and matched to your boat, which is what provides the rigidity and strength. If the pylon is used for long periods with a loose skylon or similar device that trys to "work" the pylon in all directions, it can elongate the bolt hole and allow the pylon to come "up" the taper slightly. This allows the pylon to have a slight play. If you loosen the bolt you may find the pylon will set fully down into the receiver. If not, you can remove the pylon and add a single wrap of tape around the pylon just below floor level and reinstall it. A single wrap of tape may be too much thickness, but I don't have an alternative shim that is thinner.

Peter

Thank you for the help guys

I tighened the bolt and have an 80% improvement

Peter, I tried to GENTLY tap the pylon back down.....but no such luck

Thanks again

Danny

Danny, there is no such thing as gently with the pylon. :) If you remove the bolt and can actually get the pylon out (often takes a little work), you can hold it up like a big iron bar and drop it into the hole to set it. Make sure the bolt hole is lined up, for you won't turn it after setting it in. :)

pb