Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Part needed. Lost in the water forever.

Gunjr

I'm am new to the forums here so I will start by saying hello! I have had a 2004 Wakesetter 23XTI since its birth and I have been thru all of the "ups and downs". Yesterday was a gorgeous day and we enjoyed every minute of being on the water. Unfortunately during my fuel-up, the chain on the gas cap decided to snap off and the Chesapeake Bay now owns this part. Does anybody have any solid recommendations as to where I could purchase/order this part or something similar? Going thru my local dealership will take too much time and they will probably inflate the price.

Thanks in advance for your help!

did it two weeks ago,, bakes has them $45....... lesson learned

mine got wedged by the dock and boat the moment I look away...gone

did it two weeks ago,, bakes has them $45....... lesson learned

mine got wedged by the dock and boat the moment I look away...gone

Exact same thing happened to me

In the interim, you might go visit Home Depot or Lowes & get yourself a 1 1/2" threaded PVC end cap. I understand they are the same size & threads as our gas caps. Cost ya a buck or two & will get you thru the next week or so till your new gas cap comes in.

A cap that floats would be a great idea

I'd buy a couple. Better yet, how about one that locks?

Let us know when you want us to place the orders. Thumbup.gif

We recently came across one that locks, but it looks ugly :(

-Paul

Best idea I've heard on this subject is that when installing the new cap to put a longer chain on it so that you can set the cap up on the boat instead of letting it dangle.

martinarcher
In the interim, you might go visit Home Depot or Lowes & get yourself a 1 1/2" threaded PVC end cap. I understand they are the same size & threads as our gas caps. Cost ya a buck or two & will get you thru the next week or so till your new gas cap comes in.

I would chuck that bad boy in the glove box after the replacement comes to keep as a spare. Thumbup.gif

-Paul

How about one of the old popout gas caps from an old RoadRunner or Charger? Thumbup.gif

-Paul

How about one of the old popout gas caps from an old RoadRunner or Charger? Thumbup.gif

I would prefer a pop out one from a 67' Mustang GT :ford:

Best idea I've heard on this subject is that when installing the new cap to put a longer chain on it so that you can set the cap up on the boat instead of letting it dangle.

DSC03019.jpgAce hardware had matching size chain and couplers. I did both sides for under 6 bucks. No more cap banging on jellcoat or worries about cap falling in water if chain breaks.

When the chain on mine broke, the half connected to the boat is down in the filler tube somewhere. Where is it connected and does anyone have any idea how to get it back out, or connect a new one?

Also, on the same cap, the rubber o-ring broke this spring. I was able to go to Autozone and buy a water pump o-ring that was about the same size. (My dealer is not close to my hose, so I don't know if that is carried by them or not.)

Edited by Badger
  • 2 months later...

The chain on my gas cap broke while I was filling on the water this past weekend. Another donation to the lake gods. Just ordered a new one from Bakes.

That's why I love this site. I did a simple search for gas cap. Bingo. done.

The chain on my gas cap broke while I was filling on the water this past weekend. Another donation to the lake gods. Just ordered a new one from Bakes.

Hey Mike.

Have you ever heard anything about "not supposed to bring your own gas to McClure?"

I usually do haul my own gas up there and re-fill in the campsite the following morning but, when Chrissy called to ask how much the gas was selling for in the marina this past weekend, the girl on the phone mentioned something about not bringing in your own gas. Don't know if she meant for filling up your boat at the marina or what?

Hey Mike.

Have you ever heard anything about "not supposed to bring your own gas to McClure?"

I usually do haul my own gas up there and re-fill in the campsite the following morning but, when Chrissy called to ask how much the gas was selling for in the marina this past weekend, the girl on the phone mentioned something about not bringing in your own gas. Don't know if she meant for filling up your boat at the marina or what?

Soooo, no more beans around the campfire?? Say it ain't so.

Hey Mike.

I've never heard anything about that and I'm not sure how they would enforce it unless they searched vehicles and boats at the entrance (which they don't) and it would be entirely impractical to enforce it on the 260 houseboats on the lake otherwise they would be inundated with houseboats coming in for fill ups which they don't have the dock space for. It could be that the marina is unofficially trying to encourage folks to gas at the marina without actually enforcing it.

First time I've ordered from Bake's Marine. Great experience. Gas cap arrived a day early. Props to them.

Also, I picked up a 1 1/2 inch threaded PVC cap and it is the same thread pattern. I'm now keeping that in my glove box as a back up in case this ever happens again. Great suggestion earlier in the thread.