Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stuffing box howling

pkenney

is this with the boat in gear? forward and reverse?

It is in forward idleing out to the course. then it goes away I thought it was the tranny at first.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I had issues when I first got my boat with a "singing" propeller (acme 515). Mine was more of a high pitch "whistling", that sounds like it is coming up through the stuffing box. Prop singing occurs in forward gear at very low rpms (idle to 10k) and stops after you accelerate past that.

The cause is the water distorting as it flows off the back end of the prop blades. The fix is to simply take a metal file and "square" off the trailing edge of each of the blades...back to 90 degrees. Attached is a photo from the Acme website which identifies the "trailing edge".

You might want to give this a try.

-Dave

post-5162-1245203197_thumb.png

Edited by davemac

(I edited the prior post so as to make the diagram larger)

another thought....if you have a spare prop, you might want to throw it on and see if noise is eliminated. ...The thought still being that the prop is the source of the noise and it is being telescoped up through the stuffing box.

My bet is it's the prop also. A stuffing box doesn't normally howl. It's possible you have your packing way too tight, but that would make more of a squeaking noise I'd think. The other thing could be the cutlass bearing in the strut, but that also would be more of a squeal.

I would also vote for the cutlass bearing. They make an awful noise until they get the waterthat they need to lubricate themselves. Perhaps the sounds is coming up the shaft, and appearing to come form the stuffing box. If the stuffing box was cranked down tight enough to make a howl, it would be rocket hot once you were up to speed.